Galloping Goats - A Landscaping Nightmare

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
Just when I thought I'd seen it all pestwise, armies of wild rabbits, a stubborn squirrel that insists on living under my new gazebo despite all my best efforts. Now it's the galloping goats.
They belong to the neighbors across the street and have apparently learned how to open their gate. They headed straight for my 4 o'clocks and started chomping them down. They were not easily redirected but would have nothing to do with the weeds, which would have at least made them useful. I chased them home, apparently they don't like to be chased and they took off at a gallop.
What's an innkeeper to do? They say when you get lemons, make lemonade. Perhaps I should buy artifical plants and add petting zoo as an amenity for the kids.

NO experience here with goats..sorry. We just get the shotgun out for our ground hogs. The cat usually takes care of our rabbits and we have very few squirrels.
Guess I would just mention to your neighbor what is happening and hope they get a better lock on their gate:-(

We had a really good goat stew when we were in New Zealand. Maybe I can get the recipe?
teeth_smile.gif

Just watch running them off, and stay behind them or they will butt you...
I would speak with the neighbor but also to your farmers feed and fertilizer store as they may have something to detur them from your flower gardens. Maybe something like the deer away or the dog & cat away stuff.
As they say the grass is aways greener on the other side of the fence. In your case the flowers are more tastier....

Good stew idea. Unfortunately we have very aggressive animal cruelty laws here and for good reason. I remember someone years back who shot a neighbor's dog and barbequed it. I can't remember all the circumstances, but apparently he felt justified based on past behavior. I believe he got jail time for it.
Also good to know that they butt. I believe I've seen that on America's Funniest Videos.
What I want to know is why do none of these pests eat weeds, only flowers? I thought they rented out goats for land clearing purposes.

Good stew idea. Unfortunately we have very aggressive animal cruelty laws here and for good reason. I remember someone years back who shot a neighbor's dog and barbequed it. I can't remember all the circumstances, but apparently he felt justified based on past behavior. I believe he got jail time for it.
Also good to know that they butt. I believe I've seen that on America's Funniest Videos.
What I want to know is why do none of these pests eat weeds, only flowers? I thought they rented out goats for land clearing purposes..
What I want to know is why do none of these pests eat weeds, only flowers? I thought they rented out goats for land clearing purposes.
LOL I think if you left them in your yard long enough they would get to the weeds, they just start with the most appealing stuff first and then work their way down. They are kids and left to their own choices will choose to eat dessert first ;)

What I want to know is why do none of these pests eat weeds, only flowers? I thought they rented out goats for land clearing purposes..
LOL I think if you left them in your yard long enough they would get to the weeds, they just start with the most appealing stuff first and then work their way down. They are kids and left to their own choices will choose to eat dessert first ;)
swirt said:
They are kids and left to their own choices will choose to eat dessert first ;)
Can you hear the groan from here? They are 'kids'? Ouch.

swirt said:
They are kids and left to their own choices will choose to eat dessert first ;)
Can you hear the groan from here? They are 'kids'? Ouch.
I'm glad somebody picked up on that.
regular_smile.gif

Unfortunately, kids or not, they were male goats. Obviously they were hungry as it was morning and they hadn't gotten their breakfast yet.
I built a raised bed planter box to get the plants off the ground and away from the rabbits. Didn't work, they just stood on their hind legs to reach it. These goats treated it like it was a feeding trough.
Michaels here I come!

Unfortunately, kids or not, they were male goats. Obviously they were hungry as it was morning and they hadn't gotten their breakfast yet.
I built a raised bed planter box to get the plants off the ground and away from the rabbits. Didn't work, they just stood on their hind legs to reach it. These goats treated it like it was a feeding trough.
Michaels here I come!.
We found this organic stuff to keep deer away from our landscaping. Broken down, it's nothing but rotten eggs and cayenne pepper and few other ingrediants. You might try that approach. Otherwise, call animal control.

Michaels here I come!.
We found this organic stuff to keep deer away from our landscaping. Broken down, it's nothing but rotten eggs and cayenne pepper and few other ingrediants. You might try that approach. Otherwise, call animal control.
Proud Texan said:
Are you using the stinky stuff in the blue bottle from Lowes? I have been using that and it seems to be working for us so far. If not, could I have the name of the product for backup?
Sometimes I think afer a while they get past the stink, and I'd love to have a backup.
RIki

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
Are you using the stinky stuff in the blue bottle from Lowes? I have been using that and it seems to be working for us so far. If not, could I have the name of the product for backup?
Sometimes I think afer a while they get past the stink, and I'd love to have a backup.
RIki
Have your husband pee near the plants. Apparently deer react to this as if a predator was in the area. (Which, of course a human is.) Of course you could do the same thing, it just tends to be easier for guys...

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Have your husband pee near the plants. Apparently deer react to this as if a predator was in the area. (Which, of course a human is.) Of course you could do the same thing, it just tends to be easier for guys...
Bree said:
Now that's good to know. He's from Vermont and for some reason - maybe growing up hunting? He has no problem stopping in the vineyard and doing that. I keep telling him one day he's gonna get caught by a guest. I'll just apologize and tell them it's the "help" and I'll talk to them...
Riki

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
RIki
I was going to suggest that, but it didn't seem appropriate. However... ;)
When we planted all of our apple trees and peach trees a few years ago, the deer LOVED the ones that were in the back corner of the orchard that were the farthest from the house. I tied dh's dirty socks onto the branches. I replaced them every few days (as he wore them). Away the deer went...off to the washing machine the socks went.
I don't know if peeing near the trees is more preferable to dirty socks hanging from the branches or not...it was just a suggestion :)

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Bree said:
Now that's good to know. He's from Vermont and for some reason - maybe growing up hunting? He has no problem stopping in the vineyard and doing that. I keep telling him one day he's gonna get caught by a guest. I'll just apologize and tell them it's the "help" and I'll talk to them...
Riki
Take my word for it, it has nothing to do with where you grew up, it's all about comfort.

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
It smells like death warmed over. It works, but you have to reapply after a rain. I put out some granules the other day that's supposed to deter snakes. Smells like ground up moth balls. Haven't seen any more snakes this season though.

Michaels here I come!.
Proud Texan said:
RIki
I was going to suggest that, but it didn't seem appropriate. However... ;)
When we planted all of our apple trees and peach trees a few years ago, the deer LOVED the ones that were in the back corner of the orchard that were the farthest from the house. I tied dh's dirty socks onto the branches. I replaced them every few days (as he wore them). Away the deer went...off to the washing machine the socks went.
I don't know if peeing near the trees is more preferable to dirty socks hanging from the branches or not...it was just a suggestion :)
I would try both if I could get some fruit from my miniature fruit trees. The previous owner planted five of them, they put out fruit every year, and between the deer and the squirrels we have not had one darn piece in 7 years.
Don't tell me to put a net on it. I did that year two and a squirrel got caught in it and screamed bloody murder until DH was able to extract it. He won't let me put a net out. I'm ready to get some wire and construct some little boxes to go over every piece of fruit....!
Riki

Back