Garbage Disposal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I know at least a couple of you have kitchens in some of your units. I'm considering putting garbage disposals under the sinks of my four units that have kitchens, but wondering if that's a plus or minus to me.
Plus side is, it makes the kitchen seem a little nicer to some people, and there would be a little less garbage to carry out.
Negative side, of course, is people putting the wrong stuff down it, chopping up the silver ware, jamming the thing and requiring a service call, etc.
I am leaning toward NOT putting them in, but thought I'd ask advice from those who actually have a kitchen for guest use.

How much use do you think they would get? Are you putting in full service kitchens or just kitchenttes? My friends did not put any into their kitchens. I really don't see a need for it. If it were long term rentals, then yes, but for just a few days stay, I wouldn't spend the money.
Put it into something else you need.

How much use do you think they would get? Are you putting in full service kitchens or just kitchenttes? My friends did not put any into their kitchens. I really don't see a need for it. If it were long term rentals, then yes, but for just a few days stay, I wouldn't spend the money.
Put it into something else you need..
catlady said:
That sounds like good advice. These four vacation rental apartments will have full kitchens but disposals could always be added later if I decide to switch one or more of them to long-term rental. I can have the plug-in and switch put in now so it's ready to go later if I want to add it. The architect put disposals in the plan but I think they're wrong for short-term rentals.
But I'll withhold decision a while in case someone else is using them and recommends them.

Put it into something else you need..
catlady said:
That sounds like good advice. These four vacation rental apartments will have full kitchens but disposals could always be added later if I decide to switch one or more of them to long-term rental. I can have the plug-in and switch put in now so it's ready to go later if I want to add it. The architect put disposals in the plan but I think they're wrong for short-term rentals.
But I'll withhold decision a while in case someone else is using them and recommends them.
Arkansawyer said:
catlady said:
I agree totally with you adding the power to the unit now. It will cost much less to do it now than later. We have a cottage with a full kitchen and we decided not to put a disposal in it. You really have to take the path of least resistance. Most people will treat it as they should, but you'll definitely get those others that will try to put anything and everything down it and jam it up. You don't need additional service calls to pay for in the future...you'll have plenty with just the regular stuff that will happen!

I don't think that's a smart use of money or resources. I can just imagine finding that they have put your cutlery in there and broken it, so that you need a plumber and an electrician and a trip to buy new cutlery. KISS is the rule.

i would put the power in, but the only thing I would point out is the noise they make and how sound travels is also something to consider.

i would put the power in, but the only thing I would point out is the noise they make and how sound travels is also something to consider..
...I would point out is the noise they make and how sound travels is also something to consider.
Good thought. The old walls between apartments are 18" thick plastered brick and new walls between apartments will be 12" with sound proofing materials in them, so I'm hoping sound won't be a problem, but it's always something to think about. I'll know more about how much sound travels between the apartments by the time the disposals would be going in.

Since we are on a septic system here, we did not put a disposal in the unit, but even in a nearby city where we have an apartment building, we are slowly taking the disposals out.
People put the darndest things down them (or try to)

Check your zoning...some health departments might not let you have them.

Agree with consensus: disposal is another maintenance headache.

Back