Gearing up for our new positions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Need some advise since you all give such wonderful suggestions. We are getting ready for our move to our new job in NJ, I have been reading up on some things that might bring some new business to the Inn. The Inn is six rooms and its pretty nice in a college town and what I would really like to do is send the owner some links to some information for the website and so forth.
My question is should I wait until we get there and feel the vibes from owner and former innkeeper or do it now so that the owner can read up and get the info needed to upgrade the website. The owner is open to a link to facebook and the blog that I write, but the truth is that the website needs some upgrades in the pictures and attractions that it can offer guests that dont think of a college town Inn as a "getaway" per say. I don't want to put the website here since i don't really know if its appropriate...so without the website what do you all think you would want to know from an employee? I don't want to overstep when we are not even there yet, but I am \brimming with great ideas for this wonderful place so close to big cities that we may be able to tap into.
Thanks!

Don't post the site here. However, have the owners asked you for input? I'm just thinking of how the last owner didn't want to hear anything from you!
Anything you do, if you think they are open, might come across better as...'We've been thinking...; we've been reading...; we know a great web development company....' 'Would you consider doing this pkg to attract this clientele?' That sort of thing. Unless they are expecting you to come in with all new, different ideas, treading slowly might be the way to go.
Of course, YOU have spoken with them and know what they want from you.

WAIT AND GET PAID FOR IT! Don't do it now...
and then get in the swing of things, keep a journal of things you can spot that could use some TLC.

WAIT AND GET PAID FOR IT! Don't do it now...
and then get in the swing of things, you are still going to be the new ones, keep a journal of things you can spot that could use some TLC.

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING NOW. You can give it to them bit by bit as you start working. They won't appreciate any increase until you are there already. Start all this once you are there so you can show the increase in bookings, etc.
Do not shoot yourself in the foot!
Riki

I also agree with the wait. If your ideas are given and implemented before you arrive and work, you cannot prove it was because you spoke up.

ok we will wait, I will nevertheless write down web-sites and info so that when the time comes I have everything ready to go..thanks you all i know we could never have done things without your input...

Sorry, don't overstep bounds before you even get there. Keep lots of notes and if the opportunity presents itself when you start your new position, then bring things up. You know how the current owner is..you don't want to start off on the wrong foot. I remember way way way back when, I was starting a job and I thought it would be cool to tackle a problem going on in the new position...wrong... I almost lost that job!!! Just be cool and wait.

ok we will wait, I will nevertheless write down web-sites and info so that when the time comes I have everything ready to go..thanks you all i know we could never have done things without your input....
Definitely have a notebook full of ideas! Like Riki said, tho, don't give it all away before you get there. Tread carefully, this is their baby.

ok we will wait, I will nevertheless write down web-sites and info so that when the time comes I have everything ready to go..thanks you all i know we could never have done things without your input....
Definitely have a notebook full of ideas! Like Riki said, tho, don't give it all away before you get there. Tread carefully, this is their baby.
Alibi Ike said:
yes to all the above. wait til you get there. have you ever been in a position, working really hard with no time to spare (though maybe you're not spending your time as efficiently as you could?) and someone new comes in and says 'you should be doing this' 'why aren't you doing this?' etc. even if you see the wisdom in what's being said, it can bite.
also, you need some time to settle in and see if what you think would work there really would.
i'd keep another personal idea blog so you can put in how you see the website. play with the design of it. how you see specials.
take pictures all around you ~~ new jersey ... foliage (hope it's good foliage) where you'll be. each month is different wherever you are and you want to capture images of those things.
i tend to think in pictures (can you tell?)
take time to learn about what is happening in the area ... what the school schedules and events are ... best places to go, to see, to eat ... everything.
so so happy and excited for you!

Also you may be thinking of things that they have already tried. You could use the approach once you are there of "You may have already tried this...I was wondering if..."
RIki

keep a notebook and maybe suggest something low key to test the water ie facebook page = useful, makketing and free etc and build from there. However I remember once we took this woman on at a big hotel and from the moment she arrived it was we did this like this at the holiday inn why do you do this like this etc - when she had been there a while she realised when a thing was done in a certain way there was often a very good reason for it and maybe she should have spent a while looking about and really looking and listening then maybe gave an opinion or suggestion. Drove us mad! I would go with the drip drip approach to start and if you notice a problem or they mention a problem - ie marketing is so expesive - Oh it can be but how about these free/cheap ideas I can do right away etc.

I agree with everyone else. Wait until you've settled in and see what's happening around you.
I'm so excited for you! I sure hope this time will be different.

Hey Birdwatcher! I emailed you - not sure if you got it? Is there a way to email directly from this site? I just cut and pasted your email from your profile page into my personal email. It would come from dekdwalker @yahoo .com
For what it's worth (keep in mind I am the one with NO EXPERIENCE =) I agree with the others about waiting a little bit, until your settled in nicely, before suggesting the changes to your new employers website. Depending on who the webmaster of the site is you might step on some toes - I've been a webmaster so I know how sensitive we can be about these things ~giggle~ so, tread lightly =) I see some issues with the website of whom looks like very well might be our new owners (it's looking really positive - I'll start a thread about what's going on with this). Of course I could never say anything at this point, but once we are settled in - I hope she will give me carte blanc and let me give it a face-lift in some places. Much of it is great - but there are some obvious things missing....at least to me there is =) And if I am going to be responsible for marketing....ya know?

Definitely wait as you've decided because you don't want to tread on toes, overstep bounds, or let all your great ideas out of the bag at once. Are you good with a camera? Take a lot of photos of the area, the B&B, etc. and keep those in reserve for your pitch. Keep an idea notebook/folder - journal about things that come to mind as you get started in your new job or clip things out and keep them as a reference.
Good luck!

Birdwatcher, i feel like i've been ignoring you!
i'm so excited for you ~~ so hoping this place works out great.
heart.gif

when are you leaving?
(hugs)

keep a notebook and maybe suggest something low key to test the water ie facebook page = useful, makketing and free etc and build from there. However I remember once we took this woman on at a big hotel and from the moment she arrived it was we did this like this at the holiday inn why do you do this like this etc - when she had been there a while she realised when a thing was done in a certain way there was often a very good reason for it and maybe she should have spent a while looking about and really looking and listening then maybe gave an opinion or suggestion. Drove us mad! I would go with the drip drip approach to start and if you notice a problem or they mention a problem - ie marketing is so expesive - Oh it can be but how about these free/cheap ideas I can do right away etc..
Camberley WROTE: "I would go with the drip drip approach to start and if you notice a problem or they mention a problem - ie marketing is so expesive - Oh it can be but how about these free/cheap ideas I can do right away etc."
This is helpful! thanks! Taking notes ;)

AWW Seashanty-its all good Im sure you've been busy. We leave mid October and should be at the inn on the 25th. The good thing is the current innkeeper will still be there and will show us around and tell us the "ins and outs" of the procedures there.
Thanks for all the advise I will keep mum for now and yes i have a folder with a notebook on some things that I've been thinking about. The owner already took our advise about the Free Room for Vets and have signed up for that-so that tells me she is open to suggestions also interested in a blog that will be linked to the website and so forth-so I think that the owners are open to such things and that gives me such a great relief that we won't be in the same situation that we are now.
Yes, we are getting excited but yet a little nervous-yea i know we will probably do just fine. Although I'm sad that we have to leave our kitties behind-they will be with family and we can visit them-oh well I guess we will just have to get fish...havent lived without kitties in at least 25 years...it will be hard-but the job will be worth it. The owner of this property is selling everything in the Inn at an estate sale...its kind of sad that this old house will be dismatled since this town needs lodging there will only be one B & B in town and so it goes.
I will wait till I get there also we really havent seen it yet.

Back