Gearing up for the opening!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now it is scrollable and off center in Firefox.
sad_smile.gif
You will find the solution - I am in there as you are prob working on it.
Welcome to the frustrating world of B&B web design. Some days things just appear from nowhere, what the? Didn't I check that?!!!
Again, this is a good sounding board right here...many diff computers to view it from their perspective and get feedback..
It's off center because layers are absolute postioning while tables are relative......I think. I did a lot of web authoring years ago, but the game (and coding) is totally different now.

This is in firefox...I'll also check that in IE:
It loads the welcome box and the 'Oak' slice. Then the photos. Then the last 2 slices of the logo. Here's what it looks like...
oakcreekfirefox2.jpg
Must have something to do with everything being nested in a table.
I am an amateur, but I think I've been told not to use tables for layout? El, what do you think?
Riki
I don't see tables as a problem. I still use them along with a style sheet and my Dreamweaver template I create...works ok for me. I haven't looked closely at the site so don't know what is going on other than what you have seen as well. Maybe Swirt can wise us up:)
I note to you..the other day I saw all sorts of code showing on your home page...that is not a good thing:-(
El,
By the way I was wondering what is going on with the BBAV site on the Charlottesville page. I don't know if you are still their webmaster, but there is a strange listing at the bottom.
It is listed XLife Time BBAV Member and when you click on it it shows Becky and Norm.
Looks strange...?
Riki

It loads the welcome box and the 'Oak' slice. Then the photos. Then the last 2 slices of the logo. Here's what it looks like...
oakcreekfirefox2.jpg
I am an amateur, but I think I've been told not to use tables for layout? El, what do you think?
Riki
I don't see tables as a problem. I still use them along with a style sheet and my Dreamweaver template I create...works ok for me. I haven't looked closely at the site so don't know what is going on other than what you have seen as well. Maybe Swirt can wise us up:)
I note to you..the other day I saw all sorts of code showing on your home page...that is not a good thing:-(
El,
By the way I was wondering what is going on with the BBAV site on the Charlottesville page. I don't know if you are still their webmaster, but there is a strange listing at the bottom.
It is listed XLife Time BBAV Member and when you click on it it shows Becky and Norm.
Looks strange...?
Riki
Yep I still am. It is a deficit in our current database system. It is the only way I can give her access to the site. A new site is being rfp'd right now..so the database will be corrected in the new site.

oakcreekfirefox2.jpg
Riki
El,
Looks strange...?
Riki
Yep I still am. It is a deficit in our current database system. It is the only way I can give her access to the site. A new site is being rfp'd right now..so the database will be corrected in the new site.
Ah I see. At first it was some property that had that deer photo that had a strange website, but I had noticed the link was different now.
Riki

Ditto the logo.
It took a long time to load the logo, tho..
Same here, took a little to load and the pics could be a bit bigger. Any from inside the cabins yet?
Good luck and many happy guests.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Same here, took a little to load and the pics could be a bit bigger. Any from inside the cabins yet?
Thanks for the feedback about the logo. I can go into Photoshop and downsize it to load faster.
You wouldn't want to see pictures of the inside yet. It looks as if a hurricane had hit. :) We're still hanging curtains, pictures etc. and some of the bed linens have yet to arrive. There will be larger pictures on the full site. Like I said, this is just a teaser. We're getting set up with Webervations this next week and then with our credit card people the following. I want to be able to start taking reservations as soon as we're able.
I had no trouble loading the logo. My internet must be ultra fast.

Ditto the logo.
It took a long time to load the logo, tho..
Mooseberry Inn said:
Thanks for the feedback about the logo. I can go into Photoshop and downsize it to load faster.
You wouldn't want to see pictures of the inside yet. It looks as if a hurricane had hit. :) We're still hanging curtains, pictures etc. and some of the bed linens have yet to arrive. There will be larger pictures on the full site. Like I said, this is just a teaser. We're getting set up with Webervations this next week and then with our credit card people the following. I want to be able to start taking reservations as soon as we're able.
JeannineIrish said:
I totally reworked the code and changed out the logo to a progressive jpeg. That's the only way I could get the size down and still have it look descent.

sad_smile.gif
Welcome to the frustrating world of B&B web design. Some days things just appear from nowhere, what the? Didn't I check that?!!!
Again, this is a good sounding board right here...many diff computers to view it from their perspective and get feedback..
It's off center because layers are absolute postioning while tables are relative......I think. I did a lot of web authoring years ago, but the game (and coding) is totally different now.
Anyone have any experience with Layers?
When the page was centered around a table, then the whole thing would move to the left or right(as it should) when you resize the browser window. However, in layers, the page remains frozen in the position you place it.
I've been playing with it all night and this morning and still can't the "block" to move like it did with tables.
I think it may require a creative use of the <div> tag or refining of the layer attribute: absolute, relative, inherit or static.
HELP!

oakcreekfirefox2.jpg
Riki
There is nothing completely wrong with table based design. Typically pages that don't use tables for layout tend to be much lighter in terms of the amount of code and easier to control with the stylesheet. That being said, I've seen a lot of code bloated sites using table-less design too. It mainly comes down to the designer and their ability to keep a page light or bloat it up.
I would never suggest converting a site from table to table-less just for the sake of doing it, but if the site is also going through an overhaul for some other reason, it can be worth it to rip out the tables.

sad_smile.gif
When the page was centered around a table, then the whole thing would move to the left or right(as it should) when you resize the browser window. However, in layers, the page remains frozen in the position you place it.
I've been playing with it all night and this morning and still can't the "block" to move like it did with tables.
I think it may require a creative use of the <div> tag or refining of the layer attribute: absolute, relative, inherit or static.
HELP!
The absolute positioning will keep it from being centered on an dynamic basis. Your current setting of forcing the left margin to 500px means that anyone with an 800x600 screen sees 500px of your margin and less than 300px of your content. Change the positioning to relative and then center it by setting the left and right margin of the container div to "auto".
Your OakCreek banner graphic should be saved as GIF from your source. That will make it smaller (memory wise) and clearer with less jpg artifacts. (GIFs for solid colors and JPGs for textures and photos).
I'd suggest not being quite so inclusive with your meta keywords. There is simply no benefit from using that many. I also suggest correct use of caps and punctuation in your meta description.

ProudTexan said:
I was able to load I.E. 5 for Mac and the page comes up fine. It may be an issue with the PC version. I'm kind of at the mercy of Dreamweaver because the HTML I learned 10 years ago is obsolete.
IE 5 on a mac will lead you chasing phantoms. It screws up everything for no reason, which is why MS stopped supporting it or making it. There can be huge differences between a mac and pc so it is a good idea to obtain access to a PC (especially when you start making your real site). One idea might be to purchase an inexpensive machine and make it for guest use so you can make it a business expense.

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
The absolute positioning will keep it from being centered on an dynamic basis. Your current setting of forcing the left margin to 500px means that anyone with an 800x600 screen sees 500px of your margin and less than 300px of your content. Change the positioning to relative and then center it by setting the left and right margin of the container div to "auto".
Your OakCreek banner graphic should be saved as GIF from your source. That will make it smaller (memory wise) and clearer with less jpg artifacts. (GIFs for solid colors and JPGs for textures and photos).
I'd suggest not being quite so inclusive with your meta keywords. There is simply no benefit from using that many. I also suggest correct use of caps and punctuation in your meta description.
I also suggest correct use of caps and punctuation in your meta description.
Correct use? What's that? Depending on how and with what your editing your code you can end up with a bit of everything. I didn't realize that they were case sensitive. I'll have to research that.
For comprehensive edits, I've taken to using BBedit. I like it better than the code editing mode of dreamweaver.

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
Correct use? What's that? Depending on how and with what your editing your code you can end up with a bit of everything. I didn't realize that they were case sensitive. I'll have to research that.
For comprehensive edits, I've taken to using BBedit. I like it better than the code editing mode of dreamweaver.
fyi Oak Creek - Swirt is our resident web guru :)

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
swirt said:
I've tried putting the layers into a container <div> as you suggested. Everything went every which way. Should the syntax be something like:
<div align="auto">
<div id="Layer1" style="position: relative;>CONTENT</div>
<div id="Layer2" style="position: relative; >CONTENT</div>
<div id="Layer3" style="position: relative; >CONTENT</div>
<div id="Layer4" style="position: relative;>CONTENT </div>
</div

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
Correct use? What's that? Depending on how and with what your editing your code you can end up with a bit of everything. I didn't realize that they were case sensitive.
It is not that they are case sensitive. The main reason for it is that the major search engines will choose the meta-description to use as the snippet they show if there is no closer match within the body of the page. You want it to look correct for humans because they will see it as the snippet. It is the second bit of promotion you have some control over and can contribute quite a bit to converting someone from seeing you in the search engine results pages (SERPS) to clicking on the listing to see your site. The Title tag is the other one.

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
swirt said:
I've tried putting the layers into a container <div> as you suggested. Everything went every which way. Should the syntax be something like:
<div align="auto">
</div
"auto" is a size declaration for a margin, not an alignment specification.
It would look more like this
<div id="wrapper">
other divs to be centered would go here
</div>
then in your stylesheet you would do
#wrapper {
margin: 20px auto; <--- This margin declaration specifies 20px for the top and bottom margin and the auto for the left and right.
}

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
swirt said:
<div align="auto">
</div
<div id="wrapper">
</div>
#wrapper {
margin: 20px auto; <--- This margin declaration specifies 20px for the top and bottom margin and the auto for the left and right.
}
OK...pretty soon you're going to have to start charging for all this advice :)

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
Correct use? What's that? Depending on how and with what your editing your code you can end up with a bit of everything. I didn't realize that they were case sensitive.
It is not that they are case sensitive. The main reason for it is that the major search engines will choose the meta-description to use as the snippet they show if there is no closer match within the body of the page. You want it to look correct for humans because they will see it as the snippet. It is the second bit of promotion you have some control over and can contribute quite a bit to converting someone from seeing you in the search engine results pages (SERPS) to clicking on the listing to see your site. The Title tag is the other one.
swirt said:
And how many times have you come across a result from a Google search that shows the website title and then a string of random words! THAT is annoying! Worse yet, is when random coding shows up in the middle of someone's meta description or title.

sad_smile.gif
HELP!
swirt said:
<div align="auto">
</div
<div id="wrapper">
</div>
#wrapper {
}
Samster said:
Shhhh!

I would add driving directions from Austin as well. There are a fair number of folks that go to Canton regularly. Looks good in Firefox. NIce job!

I notice you 'borrowed' my dietary restrictions paragraph word for word. Hope it works better for you than it does for me!
More pix of the cottages are needed. Interior and exterior. I'd want to know how close they are to each other and where they sit on the property. I would remove the twirly bits by the 'last minute specials' (only because I don't like twirly bits).
The picture gallery is a nice touch.

Back