Genius sheet sorting?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
okay - i just know i saw this on here somewhere.
the sheets are all varying shades of white and beige -- and the mattress sets are different sizes -- killer!!
did i read on here of laundering the sheet sets and then folding and placing inside one of the pillow cases and labeling the pillow case with the room name?
for example, the sheet set i just washed is a queen so can be used in room A but also room B - because although B is a full mattress, it has a topper that makes the full fitted sheet too tight. last bedmaker put a full on that mattress and it kept popping off. guest complained and i went in and exchanged the sheet for a queen. guest happy this morning. so i'd like to label the pillow case with 'A - B' meaning you can use it in room A or B (names of the rooms disguised to protect the innocent)
this is not my b&b and i'm not going to mess with the owners' things (yet!) but i don't see a system here that makes for efficient flipping. they said i can mark everything with the laundry marker in an inconspicuous place - but if the set is not kept together, you'd have to unfold to find the marking or the tag (and some don't have tags). they've been using labeled shelves ... that has not worked.

That sounds like such a mess. Can you put them in an order in the cabinet? Sheets for Rooms A & B go on this shelf. Sheet sets for another room go on a different shelf? Or is there not enough shelving for all the different combinations?

I was going to mention labeling the shelves, but that hasn't worked out. How many rooms are you talking about?
When we first got here the sheets were labeled because they went out to the laundry and the size was written on the tail of the top sheet, which wouldn't help.
I like your idea of sorting right after washing and tucking them in a pillow case. If it's not possible to write anywhere inconspicuous, could you use a plastic paperclip or other clip to put the name of the room on that? The name could be written and laminated and then attached permanently to the paper clip which would slide onto the pillow case or use those big spring clips. Just something that's plastic so you don't get rust marks.

people put the unmarked sheets on the wrong shelves.
four rooms, five beds.
i think someone had mentioned stitching something on the ends of the sheets. but i do have a time constraint. so i won't be doing any stitching!!

four rooms, five beds.
i think someone had mentioned stitching something on the ends of the sheets. but i do have a time constraint. so i won't be doing any stitching!!.
What sort of other people will be working there with you? Will you be able to teach them anything or will they not care?
If they are teachable, use a permanent colored marker to draw a thin line inside the pillowcase. This will save you sewing but accomplish the same thing as the sewing. One color for each room. Two stripes if the sheets can be used in two rooms. Then the sheets can be put on any shelf and a quick scan will show what room to use them in. Facing the open end of the pillowcase outward on the shelf will make it faster still.

Yay! I have no idea where you are, but I'm happy to hear you're innkeeping!
Don't know if this will help you, but I fold my pillow cases two different ways, so I can tell at a glance if they are king or queen/standard. I stack my sets together with fitted/flat/cases in a stack. Mine are generally color coordinated by room, but I do have a few colors where there is more than one size.
King: Laid flat I fold short end to short end, fold again in the same direction, and then a third time. Then I make one fold in half the other way (it makes sense if you try it). The end result is a long, skinny rectangle.
Queen: Laid flat I fold short end to short end, and then only once again. Then I fold it in half in the other direction, and then again. The finished result is more square (although still somewhat rectangular) than the king.
=)
Kk.

I marked sheet set sizes on the tag & the "permanent" market actually came off on the sheet. I don't do that anymore. I hang all my pillowcases after ironing them. King size are on the same hanger, etc.

Yay! I have no idea where you are, but I'm happy to hear you're innkeeping!
Don't know if this will help you, but I fold my pillow cases two different ways, so I can tell at a glance if they are king or queen/standard. I stack my sets together with fitted/flat/cases in a stack. Mine are generally color coordinated by room, but I do have a few colors where there is more than one size.
King: Laid flat I fold short end to short end, fold again in the same direction, and then a third time. Then I make one fold in half the other way (it makes sense if you try it). The end result is a long, skinny rectangle.
Queen: Laid flat I fold short end to short end, and then only once again. Then I fold it in half in the other direction, and then again. The finished result is more square (although still somewhat rectangular) than the king.
=)
Kk..
KK,
You never told me this! What else did I do not right?!

My sheets are hanging as are the ironed pillowcases. They are hung according to size. First rack is king, second is queen third is full size for other one full size bed and sofa bed.

My sheets are hanging as are the ironed pillowcases. They are hung according to size. First rack is king, second is queen third is full size for other one full size bed and sofa bed..
I hang my sheet too. I would love to find very wide fat hangers so I could hang them on hangers and carry them up like that.

I use a Sharpie marker to write K or Q on the tags attached to the sheets. When the sets are washed and folded, I bundle them as a set: top sheet folded around the fitted and pillow cases. That way, you just grab a bundle and go. The shelves in my laundry room are labeled by size.

four rooms, five beds.
i think someone had mentioned stitching something on the ends of the sheets. but i do have a time constraint. so i won't be doing any stitching!!.
What sort of other people will be working there with you? Will you be able to teach them anything or will they not care?
If they are teachable, use a permanent colored marker to draw a thin line inside the pillowcase. This will save you sewing but accomplish the same thing as the sewing. One color for each room. Two stripes if the sheets can be used in two rooms. Then the sheets can be put on any shelf and a quick scan will show what room to use them in. Facing the open end of the pillowcase outward on the shelf will make it faster still.
Moosie, Welcome back. You have been missed!

We send ours out and it belongs to the laundry but they are colour coded a yellow sewed line at each end of the sheet for each size ie yellow for king, blue for single, red for double, green for super king, same colours for the duvet cover. If you buy from a hotel suplier they come coded ready for you to easily identify.

Back