Gentle Reminder

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i care about all of you, although we have not met face to face - i feel i 'know' so many of you.
and i need to give you this gentle reminder.
if you are running the inn with someone else (usually a husband, wife or s.o.), please make sure each of you knows the basics of doing what the other person does. write down the passwords and essential info that each of you knows but maybe the other does not. or if you have an s.o., but the inn is run just by you ... how can they access the info if need be.
case in point: nice woman i have been helping left the bookkeeping, record keeping and paperwork to her husband. she 'meant to' learn the office stuff but had not yet. he was sick for a time, they thought he'd recover, but he passed away. the b&b might be able to sustain her financially if she can get through this crisis. some of the programs, even his computer, are password protected, and she does not know the passwords. some she should know but can't remember.
i did not come down on her for this - when first widowed, i would forget my atm pin number, even forget where i was going. it got so bad at one point that i thought i'd need a note pinned to me at all times ' if found, please return to... '
okay, 'nuf said.

Very good info. We should all have a book of 'inn operations' in case of any kind of emergency.

Thank you for the reminder.
I was out all day Saturday and I told the guests (who were considering staying an extra night) that I thought maybe dh knew how to run the cc machine, but I could always run it the next day...
I've been meaning to make an ICE (In Case of Emergency) book that someone (my sister) could use if we both died in a car crash.
=)
Kk.

Very good point SS. Something we never think about
How many of you, with spouse or signifant other, think they would or could continue with their b & b alone if the other one passed on. Are there some who do run it on their own now who could tell us how they are managing?
I think I could if all the renos were done, which my carpenter husband is continually doing. I would likely need to hire some p/t help though.

How many of you, with spouse or signifant other, think they would or could continue with their b & b alone if the other one passed on. Are there some who do run it on their own now who could tell us how they are managing?
I think I could if all the renos were done, which my carpenter husband is continually doing. I would likely need to hire some p/t help though..
knowlesl said:
I think I could if all the renos were done, which my carpenter husband is continually doing. I would likely need to hire some p/t help though.
This is a joint venture that I do not think I would want to continue alone. It is too much work for one person. Right now I am doing laundry and staffing 'the front desk' while hubs is doing a BJ's run for supplies. And this is practically off season. In season, there is no way I could do this alone. I would have to reduce the number of rooms I took on a daily basis and then I'd be broke!

This is a good reminder for EVERYONE...not just innkeepers. I know my husband would not have a clue how to access our accounts online. The only thing he knows how to do is search craigslist for parts for his toy :)
It is important to have all your important papers, etc together so that each of you know where things are. I think I'd better ask my DH where he has his money hidden in this house. :) I know it is somewhere.
omg_smile.gif

These are things we don't like to think about, but will eventually happen sooner or later...better to be prepared. I keep meaning to do that Living will...maybe today is a good day.

I do what I am told to NOT do, and that is to write passwords down. I have to, I have hundreds of them.
I actually have a little black book that is an address book, so for example innspiring.com is under I. BBonline is under B.
Within these I have had to receive new passwords from time to time, so each one has a list of old passwords as well. It is too much for me to remember. I won't use the same password twice or have IE or firefox remember passwords.
Within the book I also have serial numbers for software, guest mgmt etc. BUT only DH knows of this book (and now all of you)

Thank you for the reminder.
I was out all day Saturday and I told the guests (who were considering staying an extra night) that I thought maybe dh knew how to run the cc machine, but I could always run it the next day...
I've been meaning to make an ICE (In Case of Emergency) book that someone (my sister) could use if we both died in a car crash.
=)
Kk..
I have something like that for my personal life. I call it my "If I die book." It has everything in it. Accounts -- and their online log-ins -- school information, addresses, automobile information, etc. I use it everyday as a calendar/tickler file; when the mail comes in, I file the bill so that it gets paid on time. Everything is right there, even the stamps to mail the payments!
As an aspiring, I've started something similar with my notes, inspirations, draft policies, etc. I filed all that stuff into a large looseleaf binder. As ideas and policies solidify, information will come and go, and the (future) inn's "If I die" book will gradually develop, full of sources, vendors, websites, etc.

I do what I am told to NOT do, and that is to write passwords down. I have to, I have hundreds of them.
I actually have a little black book that is an address book, so for example innspiring.com is under I. BBonline is under B.
Within these I have had to receive new passwords from time to time, so each one has a list of old passwords as well. It is too much for me to remember. I won't use the same password twice or have IE or firefox remember passwords.
Within the book I also have serial numbers for software, guest mgmt etc. BUT only DH knows of this book (and now all of you).
I like the idea of a book like that (in case you want to swiss cheese your post, I won't make a direct reference!)

May I ask you all this question? Can you provide a numerical or bulleted list of things you think someone will need to know or where to find the info should you be incapacitated at some point?
(I ask bulleted to just keep it simple = ie at a glance)

May I ask you all this question? Can you provide a numerical or bulleted list of things you think someone will need to know or where to find the info should you be incapacitated at some point?
(I ask bulleted to just keep it simple = ie at a glance).
  • Bank accounts
  • insurance
  • basic business information (website, log-in information)
  • accountant
  • lawyer

This is a great reminder, and I'm so sorry for your friend who has to go through this now. I can't imagine losing my spouse, let alone trying to run this behemoth without him. I do all the "office" type stuff, he doesn't even know where Quick Books IS on the computer! I am starting an ICE book today.

In addition to the other list already posted, add all of the service personnel who come to the house. If you are not the handy person, you'll need to know who to call immediately. Also good to know how to access and who to call in re the cc processing machine.
I hope we do get a bulleted list, I'll use it. Thanks, SS for bringing this up.

I could and do. DH could never begn to handle it. I did get ticked a couple years ago when he "played the tape" again about where does the money go - and slammed down the checkbook (family) and bills and say YOU DO IT!! (I have regretted it a few times). But now he does know about who gets what with the family finances. The B & B - he knows where the checkbook is and knows who are my 2 honking monthly bills. All else, I pay as I go.
No, when I go, he will have the finances in hand - will tell my daughter where to find the insurance policy - but the kids will have to work with him about where he would go and what he would do. He could not stay here by himself - he needs a keeper. Or a wife.

please keep in mind ... it could be just that you has an accident or sudden illness, or some other emergency ... doesn't have to be death only.

I think I could if all the renos were done, which my carpenter husband is continually doing. I would likely need to hire some p/t help though..
I mostly do it alone and work a full time job.
Dh does some work with renovations, but most are done by our contractor. If all that were done, I could continue.
But we don't live in the B&B, we live in a house across the street. When we have guests I stay in an apartment in the B&B. So as I have gotten busier, I spend less time at home. If something happened to my husband, I would sell our house and move into the B&B apartment. It is about 1200 sq. feet, 2 bedroom, sunroom, living room, kitchen and bath.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
(I ask bulleted to just keep it simple = ie at a glance)
Just imagine that your mother suddenly has a heart attack and dies, a year-and-a-half after your dad died. And you and your siblings are now left to find every account she has so it can be tallied and evenly divided. Did she bid on that trumpet on eBay? Are these stocks from 1973 any good? What on earth was her password? Why are dad socks still here? When was the last time she paid the electric bill?
  • every money related account: checkings, savings, money market, mutual fund, IRA, 401K, TSP, insurance
  • every computer account: emails, websites, eBay, forums. For a B&B every directory, tourism group, website host
  • and non computer accounts: library cards, membership numbers, magazine subscriptions to cancel
  • every bill (and their due dates): electric, gas, water, sewer, trash, telephone, cell phone, isp, mortgage(s), cc's, store cards, car/home/life/health insurance. B&B's: cc services, business insurance, isp/website host
  • every legal document: will, living will, ssn, birth certificate. B&B's: vendor's license, FEIN, business license/permit, sign permit, food permit
  • every data source, both past and future: family trees, upcoming commitments, RSVP's. B&B's: spreadsheets, tax records, guest information, upcoming reservations
  • an up to date address list or book with contacts who should know of your demise would also be great. (My sister was still receiving Christmas cards for my mom two years after she died.)
BTDT, and it's no fun. And my own affairs are not in good shape should it happen to me.
=/
Kk.

Back