Germany Calling

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
My cousin called today! I was here instead of taking "Mama" to the hospital because I have in-coming.
After all the manouvering to get DH ready to go to Iowa, my cousin tells me we have to wait and see whether Chicago or Pittsburgh will be the least expensive. DANG!!
He said we will go through Belgium and spend the night with one of his friends there and then on to Calais to catch the ferry across the Channel and we wil land at the White Cliffs of Dover! I wanted to see that but thought I would be asking for too much. He also said we will park the camper and take the underground. He says changing of the guard, Westminster Abbey are doable and that we will also do Windsor Castle and Stonehenge. He also said we can go to Worcester. He said they were there a few years ago and toured the Worcester China and he asked if there was a discount for Worcesters. Showed his ID and they were surprised to see a Yank with that name. No discount!
Then we will go to Paris. He said just about everything on my list is OK. And we are going to do 2 castles - King Ludwig's and another that is nearby. I did a Google and there is a combo ticket for them. He is in Schweinfurt. He figures I will depart to Germany on June 1 and return June 30. He says after June 30 he will not know who this person is!
We discussed a few logistics (his d-i-l questioned if I could climb a laddder to my bunk in the camper and could I sleep on a pull-out couch - I may be old and fat but told him I can sleep on a floor if I have to for this!) abd talked about things i do not need to bring (hair dryer which I never thought of taking) and what I shouild. I plan to do a few practice packings to see just how much I can get in my backpack. He figures I can mail any purchases home (my thought exactly but I am more a looker than a buyer). He will start having his travel people start looking at flights in March - as soon as the June prices are posted. He will check with a German travel agency and with the travel agency on base. It is really going to happen!!!

Wow! What a vacation! Enjoy every last minute of it! And, let them plan, looks like they've got it down to a science!

I'm so happy for you. You deserve this trip more than anyone!

Wow! What a vacation! Enjoy every last minute of it! And, let them plan, looks like they've got it down to a science!.
He had me send him a priortized list of what I wanted to do. Turns out, it is all doable!! Yea! He has added a few things. I told him scenery, people, shops, and FOOD!!!

Hi one of the things you will want to look into is an oyster card it is a pre paid travel card for use in London it is much easier than trying to have the right money and you get a discount it is used on the underground (otherwise known as the tube) and the busses (ie red london busses) It is a shame you are not comming in August as Buckingham Palace opens for two months for tours then and as you will be there for the changing of the guard you would have been spot on. I was gutted on your behalf as my mum and dad went and said it was amazing.
http://buckinghampalace.co.uk/buckingham-palace-tours.html
As regards Windsor Castle you won't be disapointed it is amazing, There was a terrible fire a few years ago but now it is back to its full glory. (we had the chap who did all the gilding stay with us here as he did all the work on our royal hall) and the cliffs are fab but when you are on the ferry stay on deck as there is a reason so many french and spanish ships sunk it it! on a calm day it is beautiful but it can be very rough.

As well people can't believe how close we are to france it is really like a big lake you can see the other side! What are you going to see in Paris? luckily the public transport there is good (unless they are having yet another strike) and you can zip about between all the majour sites easily. Stone henge is interesting but truthfully there is nothing else there so it is a good place to stop off on the way to somewhere else if you see what i mean. You are going to have such an amazing time!

Hi one of the things you will want to look into is an oyster card it is a pre paid travel card for use in London it is much easier than trying to have the right money and you get a discount it is used on the underground (otherwise known as the tube) and the busses (ie red london busses) It is a shame you are not comming in August as Buckingham Palace opens for two months for tours then and as you will be there for the changing of the guard you would have been spot on. I was gutted on your behalf as my mum and dad went and said it was amazing.
http://buckinghampalace.co.uk/buckingham-palace-tours.html
As regards Windsor Castle you won't be disapointed it is amazing, There was a terrible fire a few years ago but now it is back to its full glory. (we had the chap who did all the gilding stay with us here as he did all the work on our royal hall) and the cliffs are fab but when you are on the ferry stay on deck as there is a reason so many french and spanish ships sunk it it! on a calm day it is beautiful but it can be very rough..
Bless you! Thank you!!! I have sailed on a 2-masted schooner. I know to stay top-side and away from the head. Otherwise I will be checking the waterline personally! Guaranteed. I e-mailed my cousin why I need Chicago and he wrote me this morning he will book Chi to Frankfurt and back to Chi (actially ORD). I am going to copy your info to him. He will like the discount part. And now I know what time to be there for the Mounting of the Guard - thanks to you. I wish you were not so far from London as I would have loved to pop in for a spot of tea! He added Stonehenge and is giving me Worcester.

As well people can't believe how close we are to france it is really like a big lake you can see the other side! What are you going to see in Paris? luckily the public transport there is good (unless they are having yet another strike) and you can zip about between all the majour sites easily. Stone henge is interesting but truthfully there is nothing else there so it is a good place to stop off on the way to somewhere else if you see what i mean. You are going to have such an amazing time!.
My son says I must spend at least a couple hours at the Louvre just to experience the enormity of it and Notre Dame. Other than that I want to wander the streets and shops (I am an excellent "window shopper") and work my way through a few bistros and cafes. Sample some wine - find a few bakeries and cheese shops.... and of course it goes without saying CHOCOLATTE!!!! He said the boat ride may be on the Moser instead of the Rhine. I just think i will see a different scenery from the river than from a street.

As well people can't believe how close we are to france it is really like a big lake you can see the other side! What are you going to see in Paris? luckily the public transport there is good (unless they are having yet another strike) and you can zip about between all the majour sites easily. Stone henge is interesting but truthfully there is nothing else there so it is a good place to stop off on the way to somewhere else if you see what i mean. You are going to have such an amazing time!.
Cambs, we are going to your area in April for 4 days and then training from York to Paris! Will spend 4 days in Paris and fly out of there. I'm looking forward to going under the channel.
regular_smile.gif
We're 98% confirmed now that the trip is on...I'm waiting for the other 2% before I book the tickets. lol....

My son says I must spend at least a couple hours at the Louvre just to experience the enormity of it and Notre Dame. Other than that I want to wander the streets and shops (I am an excellent "window shopper") and work my way through a few bistros and cafes. Sample some wine - find a few bakeries and cheese shops.... and of course it goes without saying CHOCOLATTE!!!! He said the boat ride may be on the Moser instead of the Rhine. I just think i will see a different scenery from the river than from a street.
Yes, you don't want to miss the Louvre. You won't see much in a couple of hours but you can hit some of the highlights. The sculptures are breathtaking imvvho. There used to be a pass in Paris that was good for several museums. The Musee d'Orsay is also fabulous. Centre Pompidou is modern art with a very interesting exterior. The Rodin Museum is my favorite - opened in 1919 in Hotel Biron - most of his important pieces are there or in the garden.
We will be there before you and I'll let you know! : -)

nice one samster! we are only about 15 miles from York so if you want any ideas of things to do just let me know. If you havn't been there before they have brought in a new thing called the Yorkshire pass and you buy as many days as you like and you get into all the attractions with it. You would have to do at least 3 to get your money's worth but otherwise is excellent value.
I was also going to say about the Louvre get there early as the lines to get in can be horrendus and you want to be spending your time in the Louvre not in the Line! I would be there for about 30 mins before it opens at least on the morning.

nice one samster! we are only about 15 miles from York so if you want any ideas of things to do just let me know. If you havn't been there before they have brought in a new thing called the Yorkshire pass and you buy as many days as you like and you get into all the attractions with it. You would have to do at least 3 to get your money's worth but otherwise is excellent value.
I was also going to say about the Louvre get there early as the lines to get in can be horrendus and you want to be spending your time in the Louvre not in the Line! I would be there for about 30 mins before it opens at least on the morning..
Cams, I bought the Yorkshire pass when we were there in November 2009. It was a great deal! I was not that impressed with the Jorvik Viking Centre, although I think they were adding some things to it? My dh loved the National Railway Museum and we both love the York Minster. I liked walking along the river and in the Yorkshire Museum gardens even though it was autumn. (The museum is now re-opened so that is on the list!) One of my favorite things to do is walk on the wall and see the gardens of houses that you wouldn't see otherwise. :) My dh will be working over a weekend so he won't have much sight-seeing time. We were fortunate that our view from the York Hilton was Clifford's Tower and the York Castle.
Good advice on the Louvre - it does pay to get there early!

How positively exciting K-i bet you are just absolutely brimming with it!
You desere it and have fun!

Back