get your calendar's open!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
We do a rolling update of our availability ie as each day passes it goes on for the next year ie 10th of Jan today so 10th of Jan 2015 will now be available to book
Was at a dinner of B&B owners 2 nights ago - sat with very nice couple who have a stunning B&B she was working but is now giving it up to help at the B&B full time, she told me he was so busy on his own he was only opening online booking a month in advance - this way makes a lot more work for you as the owner as it means you miss all the best long bookings as they have already booked elsewhere that was showing.
Then yesterday morning another neighbour rang to ask me my opinion on mimumum nights for a certain event for which I am already full in July - he is just thinking about putting his jan.feb march availability online - I got all 4 night bookings for this event as at that time there was only 5 B&B's showing with availability (ie 6 months ago) so simply by having it on I was ahead of the pack - don't make this be your B&B missing out!!!!

Our calendar is open and we already have reservations for August. (And July, May, March)

Mine is on rotating - as each day passes it opens for the following year. I have a GC coming in June that she bought for her parents years ago. They are both dead now and she found it cleaning things out. She called to see if it was still good and i had her read it to me. Told her the dinner was no longer going to happen but I would do the packed lunch. She DID book a third night. In the Confirmation letter, I told her the first night was the current rate and the second and third nights were covered with the GC. This way I will not have a sudden event crop up after 2 nights.

That is abnormal..
that's the thing - I don't think it is!
Our own online booking works pretty much indefinitely in advance so I can put bookings in and they aren't forgotten about - ie another neighbour had taken a full house booking for a particular event 2 years in advance couldn't put it in the computer, then other bookings got in she's been fighting to find them somewhere suitable as its a mega busy weekend with 2 very large events on at the same time - just got an email saying they are now sorted but its the stuff of worst nightmares!
The first march we were here it happened to us - PO's had given 4 rooms to a booking agency for an event and didn't put it in the diary, agent sent in the update and we only had 2 rooms left nearly had a stroke!

Amazing how hard some people work to NOT be successful.
Stick THAT on a tshirt. ha

Amazing how hard some people work to NOT be successful.
Stick THAT on a tshirt. ha.
now that's a truer word not spoken! I am really trying hard to make my minimum nights stick as it will make my life much easier!

Back