Getaroom.com article by Arthur Frommer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getaroom does not deal with hotels in hundreds of cities (as its competitors do) but simply with those in 34 very large touristic destinations in North America and Europe
I had never heard of it...but the quote is from their site....I don't understand.... I put in my small town and got about a dozen listings...including one of the B & B's

"Consider shared bath accommodations: Many more hotels adding these -- like a B&B without the breakfast -- rates as low as $89 at new properties in good locations in Manhattan during peak season."
Unlike. Compare a shared bath hotel to a hostel or a dormitory - not a B&B. Mr. Frommer needs to get with the times.

Yes - ONCE AGAIN with "share a bath, just like a B&B". Honestly - it's gone beyond being really really annoying. It's doing us and the service we offer an enormous disservice .... hence my other post - we shouldn't have to work so hard to simply persuade people that the overwhelming majority of B&Bs have all mod-cons plus much more.

Yes - ONCE AGAIN with "share a bath, just like a B&B". Honestly - it's gone beyond being really really annoying. It's doing us and the service we offer an enormous disservice .... hence my other post - we shouldn't have to work so hard to simply persuade people that the overwhelming majority of B&Bs have all mod-cons plus much more..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Yes - ONCE AGAIN with "share a bath, just like a B&B". Honestly - it's gone beyond being really really annoying. It's doing us and the service we offer an enormous disservice .... hence my other post - we shouldn't have to work so hard to simply persuade people that the overwhelming majority of B&Bs have all mod-cons plus much more.
I agree, we need a revolution!
So then you have aspirings who come to this very forum on a regular basis and tell us they have an old house that is perfect for a B&B, they will renovate it for some small amount of money (ha ha, yeah funny) and won't be putting in private baths because they cost too much to put in, or there just simply is not room! And besides all B&B's are shared baths anyway.
We tell them point blank, every room needs its own bath, this is America and this is the standard here, and they leave angry.
Now I know I will get flack from that comment, but it is true. Geez when I put someone in the room with the PRIVATE bath across the hall I get drama.

Getaroom does not deal with hotels in hundreds of cities (as its competitors do) but simply with those in 34 very large touristic destinations in North America and Europe
I had never heard of it...but the quote is from their site....I don't understand.... I put in my small town and got about a dozen listings...including one of the B & B's.
I left a comment on the blog...agreed - very annoying.

Yes - ONCE AGAIN with "share a bath, just like a B&B". Honestly - it's gone beyond being really really annoying. It's doing us and the service we offer an enormous disservice .... hence my other post - we shouldn't have to work so hard to simply persuade people that the overwhelming majority of B&Bs have all mod-cons plus much more..
The Tipsy Butler said:
So then you have aspirings who come to this very forum on a regular basis and tell us they have an old house that is perfect for a B&B, they will renovate it for some small amount of money (ha ha, yeah funny) and won't be putting in private baths because they cost too much to put in, or there just simply is not room! And besides all B&B's are shared baths anyway.
We tell them point blank, every room needs its own bath, this is America and this is the standard here, and they leave angry.
Now I know I will get flack from that comment, but it is true. Geez when I put someone in the room with the PRIVATE bath across the hall I get drama.
No flack from here - and I have one of those shared baths. I totally agree that private bath is the way to go for any aspiring. The ONLY way shared works today is if you expect to have nothing but bargain basement hunters and trail-types as guests - but do not bet the store that they will keep coming. I still get some trail users but not enough to keep me in business. Private baths - yes. No matter where you are.

The Tipsy Butler said:
No flack from here - and I have one of those shared baths. I totally agree that private bath is the way to go for any aspiring. The ONLY way shared works today is if you expect to have nothing but bargain basement hunters and trail-types as guests - but do not bet the store that they will keep coming. I still get some trail users but not enough to keep me in business. Private baths - yes. No matter where you are.
It's true that the 'bath across the hall' room is now just for bargain hunters and folks from Europe. And last minute bookers.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Shared baths don't bother me. We planned to have them in our renovated-1890s-with-no-room-to-add-them house.
After advice from these forums, we changed that idea in a hurry. Our tiniest room, that is still a storage room, has the plumbing for the private bath added and ready to go if we decide to add that room. We had to go down to the studs anyway.
Americans want private baths. Most folks with the disposable $ to travel want private baths. Our demograhic (primarily 50+) want private baths. The low budgeters will find the hostels.
And by the way, while you're down to the studs and adding that plumbing, put in sprinklers too. You may save lives.
The only bedroom in the house with the bath across the hall is our own. <grin>
-KathleenM

Back