Getting More Business by Going Pet Friendly - PAII webinar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Trebuchet MS']Getting More Business by Going Pet Friendly[/FONT]
webinar_price.png

October 20, 2009
2pm - 3pm
(one hour webinar)
In this webinar you will learn about what it takes to go pet friendly and they pay off it can have for your inn. Join Laura and Paolo Di Liello from the Lafayette Inn in Easton, PA who have run a pet friendly inn for years and Jerry Hatfield from PetTravel.com for this candid conversation about making pet friendly travel work for you.

REGISTER NOW

I opened this email then walked into the kitchen where I found waiting for me at the back door a giant puddle. Was it the dog's fault? No, it was the person who did not open the door to take him/her out in time. But the innkeeper still gets to clean it up! (Yeah it was my dog, just making a point). If it were in a guest room on carpet or persian rug I would not be very pleased.

I opened this email then walked into the kitchen where I found waiting for me at the back door a giant puddle. Was it the dog's fault? No, it was the person who did not open the door to take him/her out in time. But the innkeeper still gets to clean it up! (Yeah it was my dog, just making a point). If it were in a guest room on carpet or persian rug I would not be very pleased..
Yeah they can push the pet thing all they want. But all I want to deal with is my own pet. I don't care if it MIGHT bring more business or not.

I opened this email then walked into the kitchen where I found waiting for me at the back door a giant puddle. Was it the dog's fault? No, it was the person who did not open the door to take him/her out in time. But the innkeeper still gets to clean it up! (Yeah it was my dog, just making a point). If it were in a guest room on carpet or persian rug I would not be very pleased..
Yeah they can push the pet thing all they want. But all I want to deal with is my own pet. I don't care if it MIGHT bring more business or not.
catlady said:
Yeah they can push the pet thing all they want. But all I want to deal with is my own pet. I don't care if it MIGHT bring more business or not. I have my hands full just taking care of the humans
We have a pet. We don't take pets. I have enough work keeping up with his hair. While I love pets I don't always love the owners. And they RARELY watch their pet's behavior outside the home. And many pets don't play well with others, although their owners think they do.
I also work in Medical Education at the university. The numbers are enormous these days of those who are truly allergic to pet dander.
So if you cater to pets that is a niche and can do well. But here in wine country it would hurt me. We get much larger numbers of folks here for the history and wine than folks traveling with their pets.
Riki
Riki

Thanks Jo Bloggs for posting the event announcement here.
PAII is not really "pushing the pet thing." There are a lot of innkeepers who are doing it quite successfully...and a lot more innkeepers out there interested in welcoming the pet-friendly business, but want to learn more about it.
We know that more and more travelers want to bring their pets with them, and it's probably going to continue to grow.
PAII is interested in helping innkeepers capitalize on trends like this, so they may stay relevant and successful.
We also know that multi-generational travel is on the rise (grandparents who want to travel with grandchildren). That doesn't mean all B&Bs need to welcome children - but it does mean the market is changing, and some innkeepers are interested in changing with the trends.
I certainly know that innkeepers have to make calculated choices of what they will and won't do to stay relevant and successful. Some innkeepers obviously don't care if being pet-friendly or child-friendly could bring more business, but many do care - and we hope webinars like the one next week will help innkeepers make informed decisions on possible changes to their business (like can I be pet-friendly and still have Persian rugs in my B&B).
Best regards,
Jay

GG can this be under an off topic thread at all? This is a business thread. thanks.

Thanks Jo Bloggs for posting the event announcement here.
PAII is not really "pushing the pet thing." There are a lot of innkeepers who are doing it quite successfully...and a lot more innkeepers out there interested in welcoming the pet-friendly business, but want to learn more about it.
We know that more and more travelers want to bring their pets with them, and it's probably going to continue to grow.
PAII is interested in helping innkeepers capitalize on trends like this, so they may stay relevant and successful.
We also know that multi-generational travel is on the rise (grandparents who want to travel with grandchildren). That doesn't mean all B&Bs need to welcome children - but it does mean the market is changing, and some innkeepers are interested in changing with the trends.
I certainly know that innkeepers have to make calculated choices of what they will and won't do to stay relevant and successful. Some innkeepers obviously don't care if being pet-friendly or child-friendly could bring more business, but many do care - and we hope webinars like the one next week will help innkeepers make informed decisions on possible changes to their business (like can I be pet-friendly and still have Persian rugs in my B&B).
Best regards,
Jay.
Hey, it's a new picture

I have a picture in my mind of the perfect place for pet friendly travelers. I could see building a bed and breakfast around this growing niche. You would have to pry me out of Hawaii, but who knows. The lava might come through the backyard and change everything.
omg_smile.gif
Anyway, I can see rooms arranged with adjoining pet areas and a whole market around extra services and pet supplies. This could be a great auxilary revenue.
It would not work for us as we sit and Hawaii has almost no pet travelers because of the quarantine, but we have had on island requests, which we politely decline.

catlady said:
I think it is important to keep in mind that sometimes it is not a question of what might bring in new business and or create more work. As we have seen on here lately, there are some innkeepers that are on the verge of not having a successful business. For some, this particular angle might mean the difference between success or failure. There are some that are only succeeding because they are pet friendly...it is the only thing that sets them apart from the other inns in the area.
I think it is pretty cool that PAII is offering the opportunity to learn from some that have been successful at it.

Personally, I would love to have a pet friendly place, with cottages and trails...that would be my dawg'on thang.
I would have flooring that could be mopped easily enough in guest rooms and country style furnishings. Sofas you can wipe down etc.
We took our pooch to a dog friendly B&B this year and she "lapped it up" scuse the pun. The grounds were not that dog friendly however, so she had more fun on the mountain roads around the B&B with neighboring dogs and their insistent hospitality!
To be honest, I almost felt guilty having her in the room. They had cotton duvet covers they changed out after each guest. I was nervous as we were on the second floor and had to race down to the designated potty area. Which was like magic, btw with all those dogs widdling around there. :)

catlady said:
I think it is important to keep in mind that sometimes it is not a question of what might bring in new business and or create more work. As we have seen on here lately, there are some innkeepers that are on the verge of not having a successful business. For some, this particular angle might mean the difference between success or failure. There are some that are only succeeding because they are pet friendly...it is the only thing that sets them apart from the other inns in the area.
I think it is pretty cool that PAII is offering the opportunity to learn from some that have been successful at it.
Oh I didn't mean to Knock PAII..not in the slightest..I was simply commenting that it is something I would not do and even in tough economic times, taking pets still may not be the answer for some folks. Maybe for others it is. Just commenting here:)

My cottage is pet friendly. Average 3 days a month pet reservations and open 12 months a year. So far no problems with being pet friendly but I take only dogs. I've had pocket poodles to great danes.Some couples order massages or the romance package also ,packages+dogs bring in about $5450.00 extra per year. Or would these days be booked anyways?I opened in 2002 and have always taken dogs. Mary in Bridgewater :)

the only pets i took were service animals so i know nothing of how it works.
if you take dogs, do they come into the breakfast room and common areas with their owners or are they confined to guest rooms? do you ever have dogs that try to fight one another?

if you take dogs, do they come into the breakfast room and common areas with their owners or are they confined to guest rooms? do you ever have dogs that try to fight one another?.
Only dogs in the Cottage (limit 2) and breakfast is room service on a tray family style. Have only one Cottage so no fighting. I have a 3/4 acre yard and I ask the owner to use my garden shovel to deposit dog do into my flower beds, its fertilizer for flowers.If they leave for the day either take the dog or it can be left in a floored cage in the Cottage. Dog policy is on my site. I have a kennel(chain link fence area)in my yard but it has never been used.Might sell it this spring. A dog is the same as bringing a child, owners are to bring all needed equipement .This works for me....Mary in Bridgewater

if you take dogs, do they come into the breakfast room and common areas with their owners or are they confined to guest rooms? do you ever have dogs that try to fight one another?.
Only dogs in the Cottage (limit 2) and breakfast is room service on a tray family style. Have only one Cottage so no fighting. I have a 3/4 acre yard and I ask the owner to use my garden shovel to deposit dog do into my flower beds, its fertilizer for flowers.If they leave for the day either take the dog or it can be left in a floored cage in the Cottage. Dog policy is on my site. I have a kennel(chain link fence area)in my yard but it has never been used.Might sell it this spring. A dog is the same as bringing a child, owners are to bring all needed equipement .This works for me....Mary in Bridgewater
Next time we go to the Green Valley Bookfair we will have to look you up!
(Although I promised myself I would read at least half the books I bought last time before I get to go again and haven't yet)

(Although I promised myself I would read at least half the books I bought last time before I get to go again and haven't yet)
O.K. I'am about 4 miles west of Green Valley Bookfair in the lovely Shenandoah Valley. They have some great auctions also....Mary in B'water.

O.K. I'am about 4 miles west of Green Valley Bookfair in the lovely Shenandoah Valley. They have some great auctions also....Mary in B'water.
We LOVE the Green Valley Book Fair. Try to visit every year around Memorial Day.
See...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/myshipoopi/517059225
http://www.flickr.com/photos/myshipoopi/2539527133
My wife is from Harrisonburg and my in-laws both taught at Madison College/JMU for 20 years.
I look forward to visiting the Shenandoah Valley as often as I can.

We LOVE the Green Valley Book Fair. Try to visit every year around Memorial Day.
See...
My wife is from Harrisonburg and my in-laws both taught at Madison College/JMU for 20 years.
You must have had the crowds corralled to get those photos! This is why we have to stay overnight, so we can get there right when it opens.
The other thing we do is - bring the truck! I love that place. DH says we could SAVE money by paying full price at B&N, but it is the thrill of the hunt!
I knew there was something I liked about you Jay, your wife is a Virginian!
tounge_smile.gif

See...
You must have had the crowds corralled to get those photos! This is why we have to stay overnight, so we can get there right when it opens.
The other thing we do is - bring the truck! I love that place. DH says we could SAVE money by paying full price at B&N, but it is the thrill of the hunt!
I knew there was something I liked about you Jay, your wife is a Virginian!
tounge_smile.gif

Indeed, she is the most admirable part about me. :)
I had the pleasure of living and working in Charlottesville many moons ago. It's when I fell in love with Virginia. Plus, I'm a fan of 19th century American History, so there is plenty to enjoy in the Commonwealth.
One of my top ten favorite places on earth: Kline's Dairy Barn in H'burg http://www.flickr.com/photos/myshipoopi/2539527133
Oh, back to business. A reminder that under our new membership model, the Pet Friendly webinar is free for Gold and Platinum PAII members (everyone in the membership was grandfathered into Platinum on Oct 5).

Back