Getting off on the wrong foot

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
How do YOU recover when you've just not hit it off with guests at check-in? Guests responded to our questions and our answers to their questions with sarcasm and incredulity. They've asked for favors and then seem put out when we offer what we are able to do for them.

I put my best smiley face on and try to kill them with kindness. It's really tough, because I just want to slap them silly! The next thing I do is make myself scarce. I try not to run into them and hope they have a better attitude in the morning.
Repeat the mantra over and over...."they pay, they stay, they go away". A strong drink never hurt either! LOL

It's much easier to smile once you have had that strong drink, but test it out before you see them, you may need a second one under your belt before the fake smile can be really pulled off. And if you still have a hard time try a third then you could care less!
poke.gif

I put my best smiley face on and try to kill them with kindness. It's really tough, because I just want to slap them silly! The next thing I do is make myself scarce. I try not to run into them and hope they have a better attitude in the morning.
Repeat the mantra over and over...."they pay, they stay, they go away". A strong drink never hurt either! LOL.
I'd try the killing them with kindness routine but that's what was thrown back in our faces. We WERE trying to help when we got the sarcasm. It might be better to take the low key, stay out of their path track tomorrow. I doubt we'll see them tonight. At least I won't. I'm going out tonight!

Repeat the mantra over and over...."they pay, they stay, they go away". A strong drink never hurt either! LOL.
I'd try the killing them with kindness routine but that's what was thrown back in our faces. We WERE trying to help when we got the sarcasm. It might be better to take the low key, stay out of their path track tomorrow. I doubt we'll see them tonight. At least I won't. I'm going out tonight!
I'll trade you for some door slammers who haven't yet made it out of the house for the one day they are here to see the city.

Yep...just stay out of their way. Maybe throw a bit of sarcasm right back at them
wink_smile.gif

i would steer clear. i don't know what happened, what was requested and what you offered ... but some people are like that (as you know).
absolutely no bowing and scraping for me! i tried that once with someone who was rude to everyone at the b&b. she didn't like the b&b, didn't like the whole village! i decided to go the kindness route. her attitude did not change and in our guestbook she wrote 'the innkeeper's sweetness was cloying' ...
luckily it was the first entry on a new page as i tore it right out of there!

They likely arrived in a foul mood and you just happened to be in the line of fire. If they are still foul tomorrow, then they are just foul people. No way to win with them.

I had that happen recently. When I asked if they had any food issues she (one of three women) said she
didn't like mean people. I said I didn't usually serve them for breakfast. They didn't crack a smile. They stayed
for two really long days. Left 4 candles burning without candle holders (luckily they left the curtains open and
I spotted them when I walked by so went in and blew them out), had a loud party at midnite at the hot tub which
woke up other guests as well as me (I broke up the party), one took food for breakfast for the other two and left
it to go bad in their room, and the last morning two of them woke up the other at 9:30 AM and she got very angry
about it and started swearing. Every other word was f*().
Their room was filthy when they left and they had thrown my handmade basked into the bottom of the closet (It had been
on the wall).
They were all yoga instructors. What's up with that?
I knew from the beginning that it would not go well. You just have to remind yourself that they will go away soon
and there is a 99% chance you will like the next people!

They likely arrived in a foul mood and you just happened to be in the line of fire. If they are still foul tomorrow, then they are just foul people. No way to win with them..
It does happen. Last week I had a lady staying for 4 nights. On seeing the room she insisted she'd booked a double not a twin (which she hadn't because I can tell from my booking system log and copies of confirmation emails). She then moaned about the view not being what she expected. I was fuming and ready to show her the door.
When she checked out she said we have a beautiful property and she was sorry she was grumpy when she arrived.
I've also had people who seemed grumpy and miserable throughout their say, who have then written wondrful comments in the visitors book.
I do tend to steer clear of people like this though, they don't get the same attention as "nicer" people, their loss.

OH boy....I send DH in to deal with them exclusively. I'm not very good at hiding my feelings and would probably say what's on my mind. If I had to deal with them I would really try to be quiet, neutral and just do what we usually do....not jump through hoops for them. We spell out just about everything that we offer in our welcome book so I'd point them in that direction for questions rather than confront them. The less said the better for me.
But it's August.....we are all tired too. Treat yourself to something wonderful with the $$$ they pay you. That is the best revenge!
wink_smile.gif

They likely arrived in a foul mood and you just happened to be in the line of fire. If they are still foul tomorrow, then they are just foul people. No way to win with them..
It does happen. Last week I had a lady staying for 4 nights. On seeing the room she insisted she'd booked a double not a twin (which she hadn't because I can tell from my booking system log and copies of confirmation emails). She then moaned about the view not being what she expected. I was fuming and ready to show her the door.
When she checked out she said we have a beautiful property and she was sorry she was grumpy when she arrived.
I've also had people who seemed grumpy and miserable throughout their say, who have then written wondrful comments in the visitors book.
I do tend to steer clear of people like this though, they don't get the same attention as "nicer" people, their loss.
This is why I call it the Stepford Syndrome.
They arrive grouchy from the road (too many miles in one day), either being stuck in a vehicle with each other, not following directions, not eating, dehydrated, etc. Then the next morning, "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?" I can barely recognize them.
Our guests from Spain arrived at 10pm. They drove 9 hours. I was glad it was a self check in! The next morning they were very happy, well rested.

They arrive grouchy from the road (too many miles in one day), either being stuck in a vehicle with each other, not following directions, not eating, dehydrated, etc. Then the next morning, "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?" I can barely recognize them.
Our guests from Spain arrived at 10pm. They drove 9 hours. I was glad it was a self check in! The next morning they were very happy, well rested.
Joey Bloggs said:
Then the next morning, "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?" I can barely recognize them.
Same people today as yesterday. Which is why I am not out there chatting them up at 7:30. I tried a harmless opening gambit. Slammed back at me.

Sorry to hear about that. I'd stay out of their way and just let them know where you'll be if they need you. Sometimes killing them with kindness has the opposite affect.

No one has ever given us the foul treatment when they meet the husband. He is quite the social guy, but can be intimidating when it comes to putting up with not-so-nice guests. No sarcasm here, just facts and options of staying or leaving.

No one has ever given us the foul treatment when they meet the husband. He is quite the social guy, but can be intimidating when it comes to putting up with not-so-nice guests. No sarcasm here, just facts and options of staying or leaving..
welcome.gif

Back