Getting on the Package Wagon

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I will likely get some flack for this but we've done many types of packages in the last few years, some successful and others complete duds so I'm just throwing out my two cents:
For the cheese plate/flowers/wine type packages: We basically ask what their budget is and work around that. We have an outlet center near us with gourmet treats and chocolates so get all that stuff there. We have two florists on our staff as housekeepers so we can really get a lot of "bang for the buck" for fresh flowers. We charged 50% up front, the rest at check out. We didn't upcharge anything so it turned into a real pain, you do a lot of running around for little reward. The people who add on this kind of thing, in my experience, are very needy and like a lot of hand-holding. We eventually started to add a $10 service charge for all the time and driving around we had to do but it was still not worth it to us. I've enjoyed much more just listing local florists on our website so folks can get whatever they want delivered directly here, without a middle man. We've had some takers on this. I guess what I am saying is I don't particularly enjoy the type of person who would be specifically looking for this kind of package. We are in no way a romance destination, so that's probably why...if that is your Inn's main draw than you should definitely capitalize on it and find a way to make some extra $$ for all your efforts while still making what you're offering seem like a great value for your guests. You all are very thrifty and clever people, so use those skills and find a way to make a big impact with little dollars.
Theme Packages: We've done a BUNCH and they have become a staple of our off-season. That's my first bit of advice...do these things to fill slow weekends, do not attempt them in a time when you would be busy anyway because they are a LOT of extra work. We've found we need at least 6 months to advertise and sell a Theme Weekend. When we craft a new one, we send it out to our mailing list and usually end up selling out based on that alone, but we'll also post it on our website.
If you are working with outside lecturers/tours, etc. you have to make sure you price your package appropriately so that you can afford to pay these folks for you their time (either that or have a pre-arranged cut-off date with them so that if you are not sufficiently sold out you can cancel without penalty). We've had to deal with bus rentals, restaurants, and lecturers...just make sure you know your cut off dates and any cancellation penalties so you don't end up costing yourself $$.
BUILD IN A 4% CREDIT CARD FEE. We do not do these packages to make $$ but to fill slow weekends, so it's important for us to make them a great value for guests so we don't upcharge anything. But we do add in this fee to the final package cost because your guests end up paying by credit card but you typically have to pay your "outside" components by check, so make sure you cover your cc processing fee to at least come out even.
Our cancellation policy is 30 days for special weekend packages (we work with another local inn and they do 50% non-refundable deposit, sometimes people balk but ultimately they always sell out). People need to understand that they are signing up for something exclusive and you have outside costs involved so it needs to be a stiff cancellation penalty, enough to cover your costs if you don't rebook it. Don't back down on this or you will end up costing yourself money.
Don't overschedule. Our first few package weekends we had something planned for every minute and our guests and we were exhausted. The formula we have found works best for us is dinner or some other "kick off" event on Friday night, something Saturday morning, Saturday lunch and then free time Saturday afternoon/evening, then a "closing" event Sunday morning. This seems to be scheduled enough that you can host a cohesive theme, and yet relaxed enough that your guests can explore your area on their own with their free time.
Don't plan any of these in January or St. Patrick's Day Weekend if you are on the East Coast...January doesn't sell well and there is always snow on St. Patty's Day, we learned the hard way!!! These have done really well for us in our shoulder seasons (March and November/December).

Ok, I will likely get some flack for this but we've done many types of packages in the last few years, some successful and others complete duds so I'm just throwing out my two cents:
For the cheese plate/flowers/wine type packages: We basically ask what their budget is and work around that. We have an outlet center near us with gourmet treats and chocolates so get all that stuff there. We have two florists on our staff as housekeepers so we can really get a lot of "bang for the buck" for fresh flowers. We charged 50% up front, the rest at check out. We didn't upcharge anything so it turned into a real pain, you do a lot of running around for little reward. The people who add on this kind of thing, in my experience, are very needy and like a lot of hand-holding. We eventually started to add a $10 service charge for all the time and driving around we had to do but it was still not worth it to us. I've enjoyed much more just listing local florists on our website so folks can get whatever they want delivered directly here, without a middle man. We've had some takers on this. I guess what I am saying is I don't particularly enjoy the type of person who would be specifically looking for this kind of package. We are in no way a romance destination, so that's probably why...if that is your Inn's main draw than you should definitely capitalize on it and find a way to make some extra $$ for all your efforts while still making what you're offering seem like a great value for your guests. You all are very thrifty and clever people, so use those skills and find a way to make a big impact with little dollars.
Theme Packages: We've done a BUNCH and they have become a staple of our off-season. That's my first bit of advice...do these things to fill slow weekends, do not attempt them in a time when you would be busy anyway because they are a LOT of extra work. We've found we need at least 6 months to advertise and sell a Theme Weekend. When we craft a new one, we send it out to our mailing list and usually end up selling out based on that alone, but we'll also post it on our website.
If you are working with outside lecturers/tours, etc. you have to make sure you price your package appropriately so that you can afford to pay these folks for you their time (either that or have a pre-arranged cut-off date with them so that if you are not sufficiently sold out you can cancel without penalty). We've had to deal with bus rentals, restaurants, and lecturers...just make sure you know your cut off dates and any cancellation penalties so you don't end up costing yourself $$.
BUILD IN A 4% CREDIT CARD FEE. We do not do these packages to make $$ but to fill slow weekends, so it's important for us to make them a great value for guests so we don't upcharge anything. But we do add in this fee to the final package cost because your guests end up paying by credit card but you typically have to pay your "outside" components by check, so make sure you cover your cc processing fee to at least come out even.
Our cancellation policy is 30 days for special weekend packages (we work with another local inn and they do 50% non-refundable deposit, sometimes people balk but ultimately they always sell out). People need to understand that they are signing up for something exclusive and you have outside costs involved so it needs to be a stiff cancellation penalty, enough to cover your costs if you don't rebook it. Don't back down on this or you will end up costing yourself money.
Don't overschedule. Our first few package weekends we had something planned for every minute and our guests and we were exhausted. The formula we have found works best for us is dinner or some other "kick off" event on Friday night, something Saturday morning, Saturday lunch and then free time Saturday afternoon/evening, then a "closing" event Sunday morning. This seems to be scheduled enough that you can host a cohesive theme, and yet relaxed enough that your guests can explore your area on their own with their free time.
Don't plan any of these in January or St. Patrick's Day Weekend if you are on the East Coast...January doesn't sell well and there is always snow on St. Patty's Day, we learned the hard way!!! These have done really well for us in our shoulder seasons (March and November/December)..
Good point about selling the 'exclusivity' of the package. It's not something they can get anywhere at anytime so that commands certain restrictions.
We're also not a romance destination so I don't do very well on the floral add ons but I have them just in case. It's more for Gomez so he can just look at the price list and tell them. If there are any, 'Oh, but could we take that out and put this in,' kinds of substitutions he hands the phone to me.

Don't plan any of these in January or St. Patrick's Day Weekend if you are on the East Coast...January doesn't sell well and there is always snow on St. Patty's Day, we learned the hard way!!! These have done really well for us in our shoulder seasons (March and November/December)..
Rupert said:
Don't plan any of these in January or St. Patrick's Day Weekend if you are on the East Coast...January doesn't sell well and there is always snow on St. Patty's Day, we learned the hard way!!! These have done really well for us in our shoulder seasons (March and November/December).
Fantastic advice! Thank you very much! The only thing that is different with us is that the wine tours book well in Janaury. Every Saturday is booked. And the wineries are starting events that I'm going to try and package. Thanks for the credit card build in and cancellation policy advice!!!
RIki

Rupert said:
Fantastic advice! Thank you very much! The only thing that is different with us is that the wine tours book well in Janaury. Every Saturday is booked. And the wineries are starting events that I'm going to try and package. Thanks for the credit card build in and cancellation policy advice!!!
RIki
You're welcome! Glad to share some knowledge that we had to learn by experience unfortunately. We are dying to come see you and do a wine tour, I"m so glad to hear that you run them in the winter...I will definitely be in touch!

Rupert said:
RIki
You're welcome! Glad to share some knowledge that we had to learn by experience unfortunately. We are dying to come see you and do a wine tour, I"m so glad to hear that you run them in the winter...I will definitely be in touch!
Rupert said:
Come on down anytime! If we are running a tour and have extra seats we'll just toss you in no charge! Winter is a fun time to taste- we avoid the crowds of the rest of the year!
Riki

Rupert said:
RIki
Would you mind sharing what kind of "Theme Weekends" you have tried? Is it something like a murder mystery?

Rupert said:
RIki
Would you mind sharing what kind of "Theme Weekends" you have tried? Is it something like a murder mystery?
We have done Murder Mystery, Murder Mystery Dinner Theater, and lecture type weekends where we pay expert lecturers/tour guides to explore various topics relevant to our area. They all do really well, especially with previous guests.

Back