Getting paid with a prepaid credit card.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear the VA B & B association is now going to some kind of gift card rather than using the paper gift certificates. Will be interesting to see what this is all about.

We use Authorize.net in conjunction with Reservation Key. Their customer support is closed on Sunday, but I did find some information. Apparently, on pre-paid cards there is no address associated with the card, so if they try to run a reservation, they will get an AVS mismatch because there is no zipcode present and the card will be declined. I can apparently opt out of this feature, but why would I.
I'm going to call them tomorrow and verify that this is the case. If so, I'm good to go..
Proud Texan said:
We use Authorize.net in conjunction with Reservation Key. Their customer support is closed on Sunday, but I did find some information. Apparently, on pre-paid cards there is no address associated with the card, so if they try to run a reservation, they will get an AVS mismatch because there is no zipcode present and the card will be declined. I can apparently opt out of this feature, but why would I.
I'm going to call them tomorrow and verify that this is the case. If so, I'm good to go.
I can only speak for Authorize.net, but a valid transaction requires a zip code to be associated with the card in order for the card to process. If there is none, then there will be an AVS mismatch and the card will be declined. Even if the customer provides their address with a zip code to you, that zip code will not be associated with the card. So, if you take an over-the-phone reservation, the card will be declined up front if you are using the Authorize.net virtual terminal.
I know that the ones from some of the banks here require that your register the card. So they do have address on file. BMO certainly makes you fill out a whole application for their prepaid card. And the one from the post office definitely sends you a card in the mail after you register it. And as I said, the prepaid card that I have in Euro has my address associated with it, because they actually send me snail mail.
Of course, we don't have ZIP codes, only postal codes. But I would imagine that they would match.

Just to help clarify those o/s or neighboring countries. The prepaid visa/mc can be bought at any convenience store, or walmart check out, they are sold at the register, you can load them up and give as gifts, for example I sent that to my niece when she graduated university, in lieu of a check. And you can reload them, so say your child is AT UNI and you want to make sure they have a credit card to use when required or emergencies. You can reload them.
They are not associated with the person, or the giver.
There are others out there that may be, these are just load em up and go credit cards, so people can use them online and other places that require a credit card.
I think the underlying issue for most innkeepers is that, if these folks have that bad of credit or no credit, we don't really want to take the chance on having them stay at our inn without collateral. To me, that is it in a nutshell. And then there are those who use someone else's credit card to book the stay, Mommy's card, that is another can of worms. I have seen less of it this year than the last few...
And another issue is when someone books a room via a gift certificate, do you require the guest who redeems it to provide a cc on file? Would a hotel? YOU BET THEY WOULD. Why don't we? We need to.

Just to help clarify those o/s or neighboring countries. The prepaid visa/mc can be bought at any convenience store, or walmart check out, they are sold at the register, you can load them up and give as gifts, for example I sent that to my niece when she graduated university, in lieu of a check. And you can reload them, so say your child is AT UNI and you want to make sure they have a credit card to use when required or emergencies. You can reload them.
There are others out there that may be, these are just load em up and go credit cards, so people can use them online and other places that require a credit card.
I think the underlying issue for most innkeepers is that, if these folks have that bad of credit or no credit, we don't really want to take the chance on having them stay at our inn without collateral. To me, that is it in a nutshell. And then there are those who use someone else's credit card to book the stay, Mommy's card, that is another can of worms. I have seen less of it this year than the last few...
And another issue is when someone books a room via a gift certificate, do you require the guest who redeems it to provide a cc on file? Would a hotel? YOU BET THEY WOULD. Why don't we? We need to..
I think you can also get the kind of card Eric is talking about where you get it at your bank or CU and you reload it as needed. This kind allows the holder to build a credit history where the store ones don't.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and verify that this is the case. If so, I'm good to go..
I'm not sure that is true with all cards, at least here. All the reloadable cards around here now give you a temporary card, require you to register, send you a personalized card and would therefore have an address associated with it.
I have one, from France. I get mail from the company. My address must be associated with the card. And my own bank sells them for travel. You have to register with your personal data to get the card issued.
What may not have the address associated is the cards that you buy at the drug store, like Green Dot. I just don't know if they can or can't be registered. And I'm not paying the $6.95 to find out :)
Our daughter sends us these VS cards - the ones she sends in various amounts are called Vanilla Cards. I do not know if I entered something incorrectly, but tried to use one on Am az on once and it would not take it. Have not tried since. It has been taken at any retail store or restaurant we gave it to. After the purchase, we get a receipt telling us how much is left on the card.
She must be paying the register fee for it because when we get them they are ready to go. She sent one for our anniversary for us to go to Jo e's Cr ab Sh ack with the instruction I was to order a drink and a dessert! She expected it to take the whole amount based on what it costs when she & her boyfriend go. We had that meal plus 2 visits to Olive Garden!
gillumhouse said:
Our daughter sends us these VS cards - the ones she sends in various amounts are called Vanilla Cards. I do not know if I entered something incorrectly, but tried to use one on Am az on once and it would not take it. Have not tried since. It has been taken at any retail store or restaurant we gave it to. After the purchase, we get a receipt telling us how much is left on the card.
She must be paying the register fee for it because when we get them they are ready to go. She sent one for our anniversary for us to go to Jo e's Cr ab Sh ack with the instruction I was to order a drink and a dessert! She expected it to take the whole amount based on what it costs when she & her boyfriend go. We had that meal plus 2 visits to Olive Garden!
Our relatives send us Vanilla cards also. I have not been able to use them from online retailers, but have no problem in a store or restaurant.

And another issue is when someone books a room via a gift certificate, do you require the guest who redeems it to provide a cc on file? Would a hotel? YOU BET THEY WOULD. Why don't we? We need to..
We require a credit card when guests are making a reservation with a gift certificate. CYA

We have those, but even the ones that you buy at the drug store allow you to register your name, address, phone number with the card. They are intended to use for online purchases, therefore they need your address associated with them. Take a look at www.iridiumcard.ca/Home.aspx for example and you will see that it says "Register your card". Same with Vancity at www.mybalance.ca/ and the one from the post office www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/visagiftcard.jsf wher they even say....
  1. Buy your card at any participating Canada Post location. Load up to $500 on it. Start using your temporary card immediately.
  2. Receive your permanent card in the mail. Activate it and the funds from your temporary card are transferred automatically to your new card.
  3. Use your card anywhere Visa is accepted.
In some countries, like Italy and France they need to be registered. It's intended to keep the bad guys from using them. There are daily limits, weekly limits, monthly limits and lifetime limits to keep the cards from being abused for money laundering.

The most anonymous of the cards in Canada is the Vanilla Mastercard available at corner stores and drug store. This card doesn't need to be registered at all. But on their website at www.vanillamastercard.com/faq.html it says:
"What billing address do I use for online and phone transactions?
Your personal information is not associated with the MasterCard® card therefore you should use your mailing address. This will ensure that if a problem arises you are able to be contacted by the merchant. If you are using the Card for online transactions, we recommend that you register your postal code with us, because a number of merchants use this as a security check before processing online orders."
So even the anonymous cards can pass muster, if you register the postal code.

The most anonymous of the cards in Canada is the Vanilla Mastercard available at corner stores and drug store. This card doesn't need to be registered at all. But on their website at www.vanillamastercard.com/faq.html it says:
Your personal information is not associated with the MasterCard® card therefore you should use your mailing address. This will ensure that if a problem arises you are able to be contacted by the merchant. If you are using the Card for online transactions, we recommend that you register your postal code with us, because a number of merchants use this as a security check before processing online orders."
So even the anonymous cards can pass muster, if you register the postal code..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
So even the anonymous cards can pass muster, if you register the postal code.
I have done this was Vanilla cards before. Called them, gave the info, was told I could use it online. Nope, it didn't work. I then called the merchant to try to buy the item over the phone. Nope, they wouldn't take the card. Had to use a credit card of mine and used the Vanilla in a restaurant.

Every reservation requires a cc # to be guaranteed. Since I do not charge until arrival, it is not an issue unless it is a no show and then it is charged (I did not see or get the GC).

These last few posts have reminded me of a commerical I have seen several times lately. As with most commericials I only remember bits and pieces and do not recall the company, but the commercial is about a prepaid V/MC (not sure which) and the take is that a person can have their pay checks loaded on the card each week... no running to the bank to deposit, the money is there so you can spend more time with the family instead of the bank.
If the card can be loaded through direct wire transfer from your employer, I am sure it also is registered with name, address etc.

Joey Bloggs said:
I agree JB, I want to have the security of having a CC on file. But in reality, does it really provide such? How many times have we seen on here where there has been some sort of problem with a card... either the card has expired or declined. So unless we plan to take 100% of the money up front, we are all running on the gamble that there will be enough money available when the time comes to run the card. The ODDS are better than no number though, that is for sure!

Joey Bloggs said:
And another issue is when someone books a room via a gift certificate, do you require the guest who redeems it to provide a cc on file? Would a hotel? YOU BET THEY WOULD. Why don't we? We need to.
We now use Reservation Key for our Gift Certificates. Recipients are required to make their reservation online using a code that's spit out when the giver purchases the Gift Certificate. The certificate is only good for the exact dollar amount for which it was purchased. The recipients are required to enter a valid credit card to use the gift certificate and make a reservation. If the gift certificate is for the full amount, then their credit card is not charged, but we have captured their card information for that transaction.

Joey Bloggs said:
I agree JB, I want to have the security of having a CC on file. But in reality, does it really provide such? How many times have we seen on here where there has been some sort of problem with a card... either the card has expired or declined. So unless we plan to take 100% of the money up front, we are all running on the gamble that there will be enough money available when the time comes to run the card. The ODDS are better than no number though, that is for sure!
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
If they have an unpaid balance and the credit card does not go through, they have the option to pay by other means or be charged with "defrauding an innkeeper" or "theft of services", which I believe (depending on your state) is a felony.

Joey Bloggs said:
We now use Reservation Key for our Gift Certificates. Recipients are required to make their reservation online using a code that's spit out when the giver purchases the Gift Certificate. The certificate is only good for the exact dollar amount for which it was purchased. The recipients are required to enter a valid credit card to use the gift certificate and make a reservation. If the gift certificate is for the full amount, then their credit card is not charged, but we have captured their card information for that transaction.
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Just to clarify this statement a little...they can use less than the certificate is valued, but not more. If they have a $200 certificate, and they use $150 for a reservation, then they still have a $50 balance on their certificate.

Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Just to clarify this statement a little...they can use less than the certificate is valued, but not more. If they have a $200 certificate, and they use $150 for a reservation, then they still have a $50 balance on their certificate.
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You might be right. I have never had anyone use less than the certificate amount. Mine have a 6 month expiration date, so they would have to use the balance within that time frame or they would lose the balance anyway.

Prepaid cards are all the craze these days as several companies are putting them out there, but many people don't stick with one card too long. According to a recent study by the Philadelphia Federal Reserve, the standard prepaid credit card life expectancy is about six months, before customers move on. If you need short term financial assistance, get a payday loan.

Back