Getting them in the door

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, here's a problem we run into many, many times over the summer...a walk-up guest is at the door asking the price. With a tiny discount we could get them in the door. BUT, a guest who just paid full price is standing making tea or watching TV or using their computer right there in the lounge. We have tried to say, 'Would you like to see the rooms?' with the hope we could get them out of earshot. Nothin' doin' they want the price right there on the doorstep and then they ask for a discount. Again, we will say, 'We can show the room to you,' and open the door wider and encourage them to get all the way in the house. Nope.
Anyway, just went thru that 3 times today. Each time another guest seated right there in the entryway having tea or just wandering around so no discount can be given to the inquirer.
Do any of you have another way to handle this? I seriously have no problem knocking $5-10 off the price rather than have the rooms empty all night. But I don't want to insult the guests who paid full price. Now because all of the rooms are different prices it may not be an issue. A guest could think, oh right, that room only has one bed and my room has two or some such. However, they could just quickly look up the prices online and wonder why they didn't get a discount. (I should remove the complimentary guest computer!)
So, how do any of you who have a big walk-in trade handle this? And we have a BIG walk-in trade here (about 20-30%). We go thru this every year and still don't have a good system in place.

What if you say something like "well, our rooms range from xxx$ to xxx$$. Come in and let me show you what I have available." Hopefully that will get them in the door and then you can discuss the price when you take them to the room and get them away from the other guests.

What if you say something like "well, our rooms range from xxx$ to xxx$$. Come in and let me show you what I have available." Hopefully that will get them in the door and then you can discuss the price when you take them to the room and get them away from the other guests..
Breakfast Diva said:
What if you say something like "well, our rooms range from xxx$ to xxx$$. Come in and let me show you what I have available." Hopefully that will get them in the door and then you can discuss the price when you take them to the room and get them away from the other guests.
OK, stating a range of prices might work if I have more than one room open at the time. Thanks!

The only answer I can see is to raise your rates by $5-$10 and give all your advance bookers the discount. Then if any of your walk-ins bite at your (higher) regular rate, great for you. If not, give 'em the same discount you already gave to the guest making tea. I know it's not what you're looking for. I don't get walk-in business but I can totally see how it's an awkword situation for you.

What if you say something like "well, our rooms range from xxx$ to xxx$$. Come in and let me show you what I have available." Hopefully that will get them in the door and then you can discuss the price when you take them to the room and get them away from the other guests..
Breakfast Diva said:
OK, stating a range of prices might work if I have more than one room open at the time. Thanks!
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Even if you only have 1 room available, you can still state a range and get them through the door.

Breakfast Diva said:
Would most of your in-house guests know how many rooms you have open at any given time? Ours are usually oblivious. Use a range no matter what.

The only answer I can see is to raise your rates by $5-$10 and give all your advance bookers the discount. Then if any of your walk-ins bite at your (higher) regular rate, great for you. If not, give 'em the same discount you already gave to the guest making tea. I know it's not what you're looking for. I don't get walk-in business but I can totally see how it's an awkword situation for you..
I think we're at the max rate right now. Bookings are down for the summer so I am really relying on those walk-ins. We did just get 2 rooms from Sweden. (yay! another pin for the map!) For them it worked because she said, 'Could you write that down, my English isn't so good.' So I could put the price on a piece of paper and not say it out loud. She went outside and showed it to everyone else and next thing I knew they were all at the door with the bags in hand. But they were tired and I think I could have gotten them at full price so they didn't have to get back in the car. Still, it was only $5 off each room. I think there's a mental block about the price we're at right now and I could probably book 'em in if I just backed off by a few dollars.

We get our fair share of 'tire kickers' here too. The way I usually handle this is if I can't get them to view the room/s, then I step outside the front door and close it behind me and chat with them on the front porch using the excuse its to 'keep in the air conditioning' or similar. This give me the opportunity to speak with them without being overheard. If this fails then I will ask them what price range they are shopping for. If its in the ballpark, I will go from there. This entails some quick thinking on your feet. Keep in mind that unless your guests have memorized your rates, this generally works.

Breakfast Diva said:
Would most of your in-house guests know how many rooms you have open at any given time? Ours are usually oblivious. Use a range no matter what.
muirford said:
That's why I said I have to get rid of the complimentary guest computer where you can look up the rooms with a click of the mouse, should you be so inclined. But, no, I don't think most guests know what rooms are open or how many. But I do think they'd know that I was charging a lot less than they paid for their big room but not realize the small room is tiny.

bree, i had EXACTLY this situation.
i printed up on one sheet of plain paper (using the draft setting) the room descriptions with a pic of each room. every room was on the sheet. i think i had enlarged this so the pictures were bigger so it became two pages. you might remember this?
each afternoon i wrote in big block letters TAKEN on the diagonal over each room that was occupied. and i wrote in red 'last minute rate' and the dollar amount next to each room.
when walk-ins came to the door, that night's guests would be sitting right there on the porch or in the library. sometimes i would say 'let's see what is still available' and i would bring the walk-ins down the hall to the 'check in desk' and i would hand them a copy of the sheet saying 'comes with full breakfast'. sometimes they only wanted to ask at the door.
i originally did the sheets because i did not want to bring casual lookers up to the rooms unless they were serious. i would show them the guest library and the breakfast room but was sometimes overwhelmed with people 'just wanting to see for next time'
i used a new sheet each day, editing the scribbles as i chose. if i was worn out and didn't want to offer more than one more room, all rooms but one would say TAKEN.

bree, i had EXACTLY this situation.
i printed up on one sheet of plain paper (using the draft setting) the room descriptions with a pic of each room. every room was on the sheet. i think i had enlarged this so the pictures were bigger so it became two pages. you might remember this?
each afternoon i wrote in big block letters TAKEN on the diagonal over each room that was occupied. and i wrote in red 'last minute rate' and the dollar amount next to each room.
when walk-ins came to the door, that night's guests would be sitting right there on the porch or in the library. sometimes i would say 'let's see what is still available' and i would bring the walk-ins down the hall to the 'check in desk' and i would hand them a copy of the sheet saying 'comes with full breakfast'. sometimes they only wanted to ask at the door.
i originally did the sheets because i did not want to bring casual lookers up to the rooms unless they were serious. i would show them the guest library and the breakfast room but was sometimes overwhelmed with people 'just wanting to see for next time'
i used a new sheet each day, editing the scribbles as i chose. if i was worn out and didn't want to offer more than one more room, all rooms but one would say TAKEN..
I don't remember this! That's a great idea. When I put up the 'back at' sign I also list the rooms available so this would be something similar. Good one!
And if it's printed up it's 'official'. Like it came from 'the office'.

oh -- it also showed the regular room rate next to each room description so they could plainly see that the last minute rate was a great deal.

The only answer I can see is to raise your rates by $5-$10 and give all your advance bookers the discount. Then if any of your walk-ins bite at your (higher) regular rate, great for you. If not, give 'em the same discount you already gave to the guest making tea. I know it's not what you're looking for. I don't get walk-in business but I can totally see how it's an awkword situation for you..
I think we're at the max rate right now. Bookings are down for the summer so I am really relying on those walk-ins. We did just get 2 rooms from Sweden. (yay! another pin for the map!) For them it worked because she said, 'Could you write that down, my English isn't so good.' So I could put the price on a piece of paper and not say it out loud. She went outside and showed it to everyone else and next thing I knew they were all at the door with the bags in hand. But they were tired and I think I could have gotten them at full price so they didn't have to get back in the car. Still, it was only $5 off each room. I think there's a mental block about the price we're at right now and I could probably book 'em in if I just backed off by a few dollars.
I didn't see the comments about giving a price range. I like that idea.
To bad you can't write down the price for everyone. I'm sure that's a custom somewhere in the world.

Do guests ever discuss their room rates over breakfast? That could be a potential problem.

Do guests ever discuss their room rates over breakfast? That could be a potential problem..
SweetiePie said:
Do guests ever discuss their room rates over breakfast? That could be a potential problem.
I've never heard that discussion. And even if the guests are repeats who get a GOOD discount, they're troopers and never say a word. Price isn't discussed here even tho pretty much everything else is!

It is like an airline seat, you pay whatever you agree to pay. If guests compare prices then they are wack jobs. All rooms are different prices anyway right?
As for those coming to the door don't waste their time and yours, give them the prices BEFORE showing them the rooms. THEY HAVE A PRICE IN MIND, you know that right? If not, then they can walk away and turn around and walk back in.
Tell the others "yeah they saved $5 but we short sheeted their bed and took away all their toilet paper." LOL!

Breakfast Diva said:
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That is also what I d, I tell the the price starts at XXX and goes to XXX, depending on the room. Most people either walk right away or the come in and usually end up paying full price.

Breakfast Diva said:
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That is also what I d, I tell the the price starts at XXX and goes to XXX, depending on the room. Most people either walk right away or the come in and usually end up paying full price.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Altho, what has happened is I've quoted prices for the high end and the low end rooms and then been asked, 'Can we have the high end room for the low end price?' Which is why I hate it when the polar opposite rooms are avail. It's just a BIG difference in price.

Breakfast Diva said:
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Altho, what has happened is I've quoted prices for the high end and the low end rooms and then been asked, 'Can we have the high end room for the low end price?' Which is why I hate it when the polar opposite rooms are avail. It's just a BIG difference in price.
Our rates range from ____ to ______
'Can we have the high end room for the low end price?'
"Oh that room is taken. However we do have a room available for ____. And how many nights were you planning to stay?"

Back