Getting tired of this phone conversation...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Caller: Hi! This is Mary Beth! I've been looking at your site and I think it's perfect for my group!
Me: Wonderful! How many of you are there and what dates are you looking at?
Caller: We haven't really decided on dates, just looking around at different sites.
Me: Can I answer any questions about the rooms or the location or anything like that?
Caller: Um, well, we're not ready to reserve just yet I wanted to talk with you about our website.
Me: Your website or my website?
Caller: Um, I have a website I represent and we're looking for more B&B's to promote to our members.
Me: This is the reservation line. I can take a reservation for your group but I am not authorized to spend the inn's money...
Caller: Oh, can I speak to the person who can authorize spending?
Me: I'll take your info and pass it along.
At least 3 calls this week that all start off with 'my group is looking for a place to stay in your area...' and then go into a sales pitch when I try to get dates.

Starting off with a lie is a very poor way to convince someone to work with you. You should tell them that!

Starting off with a lie is a very poor way to convince someone to work with you. You should tell them that!.
Arkansawyer said:
Starting off with a lie is a very poor way to convince someone to work with you. You should tell them that!
Oh please let me remember this. I never remember good comeback lines until I hang up!

See, how can you do business with them when they are deceitful. I would tell them to hold on, that you will see if you can get the boss on the phone. Then just put the phone on the desk and let it sit there.... if they can lie, you can too. :)

See, how can you do business with them when they are deceitful. I would tell them to hold on, that you will see if you can get the boss on the phone. Then just put the phone on the desk and let it sit there.... if they can lie, you can too. :).
I like that if I am certain they are not using my toll-free.

See, how can you do business with them when they are deceitful. I would tell them to hold on, that you will see if you can get the boss on the phone. Then just put the phone on the desk and let it sit there.... if they can lie, you can too. :).
If they are, you should have their phone number on your caller-ID and bill.

Numbers come up on the caller ID on the phone - when they are 888 or 877 or 866 I know it is going to be dead air or robo BUT I hav eno way to know (until the bill comes) whether it is 304 or 888. We have one line and same number but different vendors.

Numbers come up on the caller ID on the phone - when they are 888 or 877 or 866 I know it is going to be dead air or robo BUT I hav eno way to know (until the bill comes) whether it is 304 or 888. We have one line and same number but different vendors.
If a call comes up as 888, 877 or 866 on the caller-ID, I don't ever answer. If it's real, they leave a message, but 99.9% of the time, it's telemarketing!

Back