Getting to know area B&Bs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ice said:
First of all I am not new here, (just got a new name) to protect the inocent! When you first started your B&B did you contact other B&Bs in the area? Is this a smart move?
Good thing you told me it's a new name or I'd probably be telling you "welcome!"
When we moved here and were under construction I called the other two "regular" B&B's in town and said who I was and what I was doing so they wouldn't hear about it through the grapevine. (The third one knew about us because they are friends with my sister...) The B&B "south of town" referred our very first guests to us when they were full and there was no where left to stay in town. In gratitude I took her some flowers, and completely hit it off with her. She and I decided to arrange getting together for dinner with our spouses.
To make it short, we had four dinners with all four couples from all four B&B's, taking turns hosting. The other two B&B's have become very close, as have I and my friend. This year we've expanded slightly and have had our first "area" innkeepers gathering with innkeepers from 8-9 B&B's.
An innkeeper from the neighboring county seat brought an article to that meeting which they had gotten published in their paper about how the B&B's in town worked together, referring to each other. So, one of my colleagues in town called her contact at the paper and he agreed to do an article about the four of us here! We hope to get him the info in March and having something like "It's All About Hospitality" published in the spring.
So yeah, absolutely contact the other innkeepers. If nothing else, it shows you to be friendly and cooperative. In my case, it's led to friendship and cooperation with colleagues who know what it's like and who can refer back and forth. It's an amazing blessing for me!
=)
Kk.

Well then, welcome to 'Ice'
Yes, yes and yes. It's a wonderful idea. An innkeeper's life can be busy, chaotic and stress-filled ... so I'm not a fan of the drop-in approach and it's hard to know when the right time is to make a phone call. But I would definitely introduce myself.
What I did was I sent notes by snail mail to the local places, very brief, telling them who I was and that I'd love to meet or just talk. Welcomed them to come to me or I would go there. A few I met, some I never did ... they were too busy or not available when I was ... and a few ignored me. (sigh) My approach was that each of our places was unique ... for example, I could gush about the really elegant place with the jacuzzi tubs that i LOVE but that was never going to be my place. And I could recommend the three room/two bath year rounder with very low rates and a simple, continental breakfast. A clean, safe place and comfortable bed ... but no extras.
I introduced myself to the owner of the little hotel right across the road from me before the property was purchased. I wanted to be sure he was good with my being there. We hit it off and he gave me lots of advice, then turned around and started imitating me. haha.
Best possible scenario is when like-minded b&b's refer to one another. There were four places I knew I could refer to when I was full or I couldn't satisfy the guest's needs ... two returned the favor a lot, the other two - not so much.
Good luck!.
When I first opened I met a wonderful woman who started a B&B several towns away at about the same time. We became very good friends and we helped each other a lot over the next several years. She even formed an informal "association" for all the B&B's in our county. But after a few years every one of them sold and moved on, including my friend. Only a few remained B&B's but most of the others were converted to single family homes or other businesses. I really miss those connections. B&B's that have opened since view me as their competition and are reluctant to share ideas. Little do they know, as much as I love my B&B and work really hard to make it successful, I am the least competitive person in the world. That's why I love this forum so much. I feel connected here.
regular_smile.gif

Country Girl, you aren't from MN by any chance? Your story sounds very familiar!

Well then, welcome to 'Ice'
Yes, yes and yes. It's a wonderful idea. An innkeeper's life can be busy, chaotic and stress-filled ... so I'm not a fan of the drop-in approach and it's hard to know when the right time is to make a phone call. But I would definitely introduce myself.
What I did was I sent notes by snail mail to the local places, very brief, telling them who I was and that I'd love to meet or just talk. Welcomed them to come to me or I would go there. A few I met, some I never did ... they were too busy or not available when I was ... and a few ignored me. (sigh) My approach was that each of our places was unique ... for example, I could gush about the really elegant place with the jacuzzi tubs that i LOVE but that was never going to be my place. And I could recommend the three room/two bath year rounder with very low rates and a simple, continental breakfast. A clean, safe place and comfortable bed ... but no extras.
I introduced myself to the owner of the little hotel right across the road from me before the property was purchased. I wanted to be sure he was good with my being there. We hit it off and he gave me lots of advice, then turned around and started imitating me. haha.
Best possible scenario is when like-minded b&b's refer to one another. There were four places I knew I could refer to when I was full or I couldn't satisfy the guest's needs ... two returned the favor a lot, the other two - not so much.
Good luck!.
When I first opened I met a wonderful woman who started a B&B several towns away at about the same time. We became very good friends and we helped each other a lot over the next several years. She even formed an informal "association" for all the B&B's in our county. But after a few years every one of them sold and moved on, including my friend. Only a few remained B&B's but most of the others were converted to single family homes or other businesses. I really miss those connections. B&B's that have opened since view me as their competition and are reluctant to share ideas. Little do they know, as much as I love my B&B and work really hard to make it successful, I am the least competitive person in the world. That's why I love this forum so much. I feel connected here.
regular_smile.gif

Country Girl, you aren't from MN by any chance? Your story sounds very familiar!
suellen222 said:
Not from MN. But I'm not surprised that my story sounds familiar. I think it's pretty common.

Back