GF, soy free, vegan

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I can't find the thread on what to feed a GF vegan. I'd like to make whatever it is the night before and heat it in the morning as we have a very full house and no time to cook something special that day. Given the heat, no baking recipes appreciated. Also, no veggie recipes as they'll be soggy by morning. We're very fond of the baked oatmeal but it looks a fright on the plate. Maybe I could make one small ramekin of it that could be nuked.
I figure this person will stuff themselves with birthday cake and bbq at the party they are going to and won't show up at all for breakfast so I don't want to put a whole lot of effort into it. (That's been the experience. They give a list of have to haves and then blow out the door saying they're meeting friends for brunch.)

This morning I made my vegan 'omlette'
Make polenta - it can be made ahead, sliced and nuked.
Chop assorted veg, I used onion, bok choy greens, mushrooms, thin sliced red pepper and halved grape tomatoes. Saute this and put on top of polenta. You can add a small amount of vegetable stock or other appropriate liquid to make a bit of 'sauce' in the pan to pour over polenta when served.
You could also saute veg in advance, set aside and nuke.
The ramekin for the baked oatmeal should work fine.

various fresh fruit and the little personal oatmeal sounds good to me!

Ramekin of oatmeal with some nuts and fruit sounds great.
Another option is chia pudding, which is even better than no-bake since it's no-cook. Mix chia seeds with almond milk, give it a good shake/stir, then let it thicken up in the fridge overnight. I like to stir in flax seeds, blueberries and sliced almonds. Sometimes I add large flake oats with the chia seeds so it's a bit of a muesli. Serve cold.
Sorry I don't have amounts or ratio. Maybe someone else here does?

Chia pudding.
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup fake milk of your choice, except soy, of course
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
small pinch of salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Put this in a container in the fridge overnight. Stir once or twice. In the morning add a little fruit and/or nuts and you have a yogurt replacement that is GF, soy free (as long as you don't use soy milk) and vegan.
You can even add a little coffee or cocoa (or both) if you want to make coffee pudding, chocolate pudding or moka pudding.
GF waffles that are vegan and soy free. Toast in toaster (best if you have a Celiac only toaster, of course.) Add some fruit and serve with maple syrup.
(We often turn down soy free unless they can handle soy lecithin. It's one of the most difficult diets to handle if they are allergic to soy lecithin.

I vote for oatmeal and a beautiful fruit presentation.
I found a list of several gf/vegan breakfast recipes at this site.
greatest.com

Thanks! Leaning toward the oatmeal or the chia seed thing.
Just got another email from guest. They want organic milk and butter only. I think that negates the whole vegan thing but I could be wrong. Maybe you can eat vegan as long as the animals are fed organically. (Sputtering noises might possibly be coming from me.)

Just got another email from guest. They want organic milk and butter only. I think that negates the whole vegan thing but I could be wrong. Maybe you can eat vegan as long as the animals are fed organically. (Sputtering noises might possibly be coming from me.).
Madeleine said:
Just got another email from guest. They want organic milk and butter only. I think that negates the whole vegan thing but I could be wrong. Maybe you can eat vegan as long as the animals are fed organically. (Sputtering noises might possibly be coming from me.)
hahahahhahhahaa!!
Did you ask? In a very confused voice, "Oh! For some reason, I thought you had told me you were vegan!! How did I mess that up??"

Just got another email from guest. They want organic milk and butter only. I think that negates the whole vegan thing but I could be wrong. Maybe you can eat vegan as long as the animals are fed organically. (Sputtering noises might possibly be coming from me.).
Madeleine said:
hahahahhahhahaa!!
Did you ask? In a very confused voice, "Oh! For some reason, I thought you had told me you were vegan!! How did I mess that up??"
and btw, we probably would have said, "Oh, no. We do not specifically stock organic butter. I'm glad you asked. I won't use butter in your breakfast."

Madeleine said:
Reply with...
I'm sorry, I thought you said that you were vegan? Vegan is no animal products including: dairy, eggs, honey and sugar.

Please note that organic only requests do involve an extra charge.

I vote for oatmeal and a beautiful fruit presentation.
I found a list of several gf/vegan breakfast recipes at this site.
greatest.com.
I charge for extra cost on special food. I been there and it was a complete waste of time and Money. This couple walked in with leather shoes and purse ..
When vegans come now it is like frozen food stuff and lots of fruit and grains plus veg.

Madeleine said:
Reply with...
I'm sorry, I thought you said that you were vegan? Vegan is no animal products including: dairy, eggs, honey and sugar.

Jon Sable said:
Madeleine said:
Reply with...

I'm just going to feed them based on what they told me. If they look oddly at it, then I'll bring up my confusion. I'll have to get almond milk or something like so if they need 'cream' for their coffee I'll point it out. If they go for the high test stuff, I'll make panna cotta for the next day.

Chop assorted veg, I used onion, bok choy greens, mushrooms, thin sliced red pepper and halved grape tomatoes. Saute this and put on top of polenta. You can add a small amount of vegetable stock or other appropriate liquid to make a bit of 'sauce' in the pan to pour over polenta when served.
The ramekin for the baked oatmeal should work fine..
Instead of polenta you can also make chickpea flour pancake ( chickpea flour+water+oil+salt)- gluten free, soy free, vegan. It takes just a few minutes to make.

The ramekin for the baked oatmeal should work fine..
Instead of polenta you can also make chickpea flour pancake ( chickpea flour+water+oil+salt)- gluten free, soy free, vegan. It takes just a few minutes to make.
As a savory? What do you serve this with? Sounds interesting

Nuts! They get oatmeal and fruit. Vegan is no animal products. Period. No organic butter, no organic milk. I buy these things and they can cost the earth. Do they even know what they're talking about? Do they mean vegetarian?
Have these guests been there yet? :)

Madeleine said:
hahahahhahhahaa!!
and btw, we probably would have said, "Oh, no. We do not specifically stock organic butter. I'm glad you asked. I won't use butter in your breakfast."
I Bet she cannot tell the difference. I say all in the head. these games people play to get special treatment. GOLLY wogg
Well really can you tell the difference between organic and reg butter. I can only tell by the cost !

I admit to being a Philistine - I eat whatever and cannot tell the difference between organic anything and the regular priced stuff. And just what are they using as organic fertilizer? Sorry, but I think the organic. low-fat, low-sodium is a racket to raise prices. They leave out the salt and add more sugar or fat. They use less sugar and the raise the sale. Lower the fat and sugar & salt content goes up.
Fresh fruit and vegetables - there IS a difference but regular or organic, the difference is the price. And how does one prove it is organic anyway? Because they say it is?

I admit to being a Philistine - I eat whatever and cannot tell the difference between organic anything and the regular priced stuff. And just what are they using as organic fertilizer? Sorry, but I think the organic. low-fat, low-sodium is a racket to raise prices. They leave out the salt and add more sugar or fat. They use less sugar and the raise the sale. Lower the fat and sugar & salt content goes up.
Fresh fruit and vegetables - there IS a difference but regular or organic, the difference is the price. And how does one prove it is organic anyway? Because they say it is?.
From what I have studied in past, organic animal products far more important than plant. Toxins much more concentrated as you go up the food chain.

Some organic things taste better than regular, and vice versa. Have some health issues in the family so I do buy best quality/least processed options for home.
If I'm not eating at home, I just enjoy what is available. Makes it easier to not have to sweat it.

Nuts! They get oatmeal and fruit. Vegan is no animal products. Period. No organic butter, no organic milk. I buy these things and they can cost the earth. Do they even know what they're talking about? Do they mean vegetarian?
Have these guests been there yet? :).
seashanty said:
Have these guests been there yet? :)
Not yet. Had a guest this morning who didn't really want the breakfast and said, 'Oh look, you have oatmeal, I'll have that instead.'
So, oatmeal it is. I can have a little extra fruit put aside to go on top, maybe some nuts as well and Bob's yer uncle, no more worrying. (I'll need to check if it's gluten free first. If not I can get some that is.) However, I am going to try to make the chia pet pudding. If it's any good then I'll put that in rotation for other days for everyone.

Back