GF, soy free, vegan

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nuts! They get oatmeal and fruit. Vegan is no animal products. Period. No organic butter, no organic milk. I buy these things and they can cost the earth. Do they even know what they're talking about? Do they mean vegetarian?
Have these guests been there yet? :).
seashanty said:
Nuts! They get oatmeal and fruit. Vegan is no animal products. Period. No organic butter, no organic milk. I buy these things and they can cost the earth. Do they even know what they're talking about? Do they mean vegetarian?
Have these guests been there yet? :)
Not yet. Had a guest this morning who didn't really want the breakfast and said, 'Oh look, you have oatmeal, I'll have that instead.'
So, oatmeal it is. I can have a little extra fruit put aside to go on top, maybe some nuts as well and Bob's yer uncle, no more worrying. (I'll need to check if it's gluten free first. If not I can get some that is.) However, I am going to try to make the chia pet pudding. If it's any good then I'll put that in rotation for other days for everyone.
Madeleine said:
Not yet. Had a guest this morning who didn't really want the breakfast and said, 'Oh look, you have oatmeal, I'll have that instead.'
So, oatmeal it is. I can have a little extra fruit put aside to go on top, maybe some nuts as well and Bob's yer uncle, no more worrying. (I'll need to check if it's gluten free first. If not I can get some that is.) However, I am going to try to make the chia pet pudding. If it's any good then I'll put that in rotation for other days for everyone.
Bob's RM is certified GF oats. Quaker isn't certified. Did you know that Bob's RM offers as 25lb bag for $37.30 on their website. With the 32oz bag costing $7.49, that's like buying 5 bags and getting 7.5 free bags. Worth it if you are using a lot. If you want premade GF, then Glutenfreeda has 6 packs. (Shaws supposedly stocks it)
Chia basically acts as a thickener, so you could even use almost any liquid with it. And if you want to shake things up, you could even add flavourings like matcha green tea. (Matcha green tea is a green tea powder, think instant coffee... no bags) Matcha to most people starts with a vegetal taste (ie grass) but ends in a buttery sweetness. And goes great when mixed with coconut, for example. Some people use chia to make "jams"
As falls comes, try this...
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
dash salt (nutmeg and ginger can be added too)
4 Tb Chia Seeds
No dairy or fake dairy, vegan, nut free, soy free. Basically apple pie pudding. I suggest nutmeg if you want it to be really very apple pie like.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
Bob's RM is certified GF oats. Quaker isn't certified. Did you know that Bob's RM offers as 25lb bag for $37.30 on their website. With the 32oz bag costing $7.49, that's like buying 5 bags and getting 7.5 free bags. Worth it if you are using a lot. If you want premade GF, then Glutenfreeda has 6 packs. (Shaws supposedly stocks it)
Chia basically acts as a thickener, so you could even use almost any liquid with it. And if you want to shake things up, you could even add flavourings like matcha green tea. (Matcha green tea is a green tea powder, think instant coffee... no bags) Matcha to most people starts with a vegetal taste (ie grass) but ends in a buttery sweetness. And goes great when mixed with coconut, for example. Some people use chia to make "jams"
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
No dairy or fake dairy, vegan, nut free, soy free. Basically apple pie pudding. I suggest nutmeg if you want it to be really very apple pie like.
I just looked on the BRM site for some recipes and saw the pricing for buying from the site. Thanks for the recipe. It makes a 'pudding' consistency, right? How do you divide it up - into individual bowls to start or spoon it out to serve? That sounds better to me than making it with rice milk.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
I'll look for the glutenfreeda in case we don't have time to prep this the day before. (Having more housekeeper problems. So pretty tired right about the time I should be putting together something for the next day.)
Got matcha in a gift box from Japan. This could be where to use it.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
I just looked on the BRM site for some recipes and saw the pricing for buying from the site. Thanks for the recipe. It makes a 'pudding' consistency, right? How do you divide it up - into individual bowls to start or spoon it out to serve? That sounds better to me than making it with rice milk.
Yup, pudding consistency. If you don't like the consistency then add more chia or less chia based on your guess for the right consistency. Remember that chia seeds come in black or white (or mixed) so try both colors to see what you like. You can spoon it in ahead of time or do it a few minutes early. Since it's pudding consistency, it will set (unless you didn't have enough liquid, whereupon you can drop in a few droplets of liquid to make it more liquidy. (You will be surprised at how liquidy it is until the chia starts to drink in the liquid.)
Did you see their recipe for blueberry chia "jam". I would never use agave, so I would either sub in maple syrup for the vegan crowd or 2 Tbsp and 2 tsp of white sugar and a Tbsp of water. (Or use white sugar if yours is vegan). This chia jam can easily be added to plain oatmeal as a flavouring. If you REALLY want to go the full JonSable, then buy some floral extract or vanilla and really surprise them. (Trick with this is to add a little, see if you detect it on the tongue, if you do, you have enough, if you don't add a bit more. It should be very subtle and not overpowering)

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
Yup, pudding consistency. If you don't like the consistency then add more chia or less chia based on your guess for the right consistency. Remember that chia seeds come in black or white (or mixed) so try both colors to see what you like. You can spoon it in ahead of time or do it a few minutes early. Since it's pudding consistency, it will set (unless you didn't have enough liquid, whereupon you can drop in a few droplets of liquid to make it more liquidy. (You will be surprised at how liquidy it is until the chia starts to drink in the liquid.)
Did you see their recipe for blueberry chia "jam". I would never use agave, so I would either sub in maple syrup for the vegan crowd or 2 Tbsp and 2 tsp of white sugar and a Tbsp of water. (Or use white sugar if yours is vegan). This chia jam can easily be added to plain oatmeal as a flavouring. If you REALLY want to go the full JonSable, then buy some floral extract or vanilla and really surprise them. (Trick with this is to add a little, see if you detect it on the tongue, if you do, you have enough, if you don't add a bit more. It should be very subtle and not overpowering)
Why not agave? We love that stuff. I can't use white sugar for a vegan, right? ;-) I would use maple syrup, that would be tasty. I have a little leeway now to practice.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
I tried the chia pudding once and maybe I did something wrong, but it definitely was not the consistency of pudding. It was much runnier. I also was shocked to see how many calories were in those little things! Fortunately, I did a test and did not serve it.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
Why not agave? We love that stuff. I can't use white sugar for a vegan, right? ;-) I would use maple syrup, that would be tasty. I have a little leeway now to practice.
To me agave isn't naturally from here, it essentially substitutes fossil fuels... meaning it has to be shipped all the way north. You can always use "natural sugar" which is readily available. Maple has a taste, but in this case it makes it maple apple :)

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
why experiment if you dont know if they will even eat it or not??
sounds pretty YUK to me
devil_smile.gif
though i did goo gle it and Giada has a nice looking recipr for it. she uses maple syrup

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
sounds pretty YUK to me
devil_smile.gif
though i did goo gle it and Giada has a nice looking recipr for it. she uses maple syrup
EmptyNest said:
sounds pretty YUK to me
devil_smile.gif
Because if it's good then I can serve it to other people. But I am leaning toward pointing out the oatmeal and the 'help yourself' breakfast. But I have the chia seeds and the rice milk so might as well try it. Or the apple juice and maple.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
To me agave isn't naturally from here, it essentially substitutes fossil fuels... meaning it has to be shipped all the way north. You can always use "natural sugar" which is readily available. Maple has a taste, but in this case it makes it maple apple :)
Jon Sable said:
I don't think my sugar comes from beets grown locally. I know the maple syrup is kinda local. But the sugar? I don't think so.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
1 C. Apple Juice
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tb Chia Seeds
Jon Sable said:
I don't think my sugar comes from beets grown locally. I know the maple syrup is kinda local. But the sugar? I don't think so.
I know it's difficult to find vegan sugar in the US. But it's almost all vegan around here. And a lot of sugar is beet sugar here. But as I said, you can use the "raw" if need be. Or maple. I don't know about around you, but here, agave is more expensive than maple. If you want to cut down on the taste of maple, use clear, it's the least tasty.

seashanty said:
Madeleine said:
So, oatmeal it is. I can have a little extra fruit put aside to go on top, maybe some nuts as well and Bob's yer uncle, no more worrying. (I'll need to check if it's gluten free first. If not I can get some that is.)
You know you can do the oatmeal overnight in milk (almond or whatever) and you don't have to cook it in the morning. Just google 'overnight oats' and you'll get a bunch of recipes. Me, I would still need it warmed to eat it but you could throw it in the microwave for a minute.

So I did a fruit crisp and topped it with granola and fresh fruit. DH bought vegan butter sub and that worked out well for the GF toast. Did not offer veggie sausage as it has eggs in it and also gluten. Apparently this food regimen is not appreciated by all members of the family who sighed and sat back and told me to pull up a chair as the guest took a deep breath to tell me everything off the list. I explained I had already made something or there was GF, vegan, soy free oatmeal. New best friends. Life is good. I have a new recipe that is simple and quick.

So I did a fruit crisp and topped it with granola and fresh fruit. DH bought vegan butter sub and that worked out well for the GF toast. Did not offer veggie sausage as it has eggs in it and also gluten. Apparently this food regimen is not appreciated by all members of the family who sighed and sat back and told me to pull up a chair as the guest took a deep breath to tell me everything off the list. I explained I had already made something or there was GF, vegan, soy free oatmeal. New best friends. Life is good. I have a new recipe that is simple and quick..
I am co-hosting an intern lunch on Friday and have received the following list of allergies:
- Vegan (severely allergic to eggs, dairy, soy, and peanuts)
- gluten (celiac) so we'll need at least one gluten-free serving
- peanuts, pistachios (2 people)
- sweet potatoes (1 person)
- tropical & acidic fruits (1 person)
- Seafood (1 person)
I'm going to suggest Mexican tortilla bar, so they can all mix and match. I'll make rice and beans that meet all the requirements, and have a green salad without nuts or cheese. Interesting that there are no 'plain vegetarians' and ...?sweet potatoes?

So I did a fruit crisp and topped it with granola and fresh fruit. DH bought vegan butter sub and that worked out well for the GF toast. Did not offer veggie sausage as it has eggs in it and also gluten. Apparently this food regimen is not appreciated by all members of the family who sighed and sat back and told me to pull up a chair as the guest took a deep breath to tell me everything off the list. I explained I had already made something or there was GF, vegan, soy free oatmeal. New best friends. Life is good. I have a new recipe that is simple and quick..
I am co-hosting an intern lunch on Friday and have received the following list of allergies:
- Seafood (1 person)
I'm going to suggest Mexican tortilla bar, so they can all mix and match. I'll make rice and beans that meet all the requirements, and have a green salad without nuts or cheese. Interesting that there are no 'plain vegetarians' and ...?sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are a member of the Nightshade family

- Seafood (1 person)
Sweet potatoes are a member of the Nightshade family
I think you mean the morning glory family. Potatoes are in the nightshade family.

- Seafood (1 person)
Potluck. BYOF. How many people are coming? And what kind of interns? Sounds like a sickly profession. ;-)

Check in yesterday. I asked about food allergies.
He said 'I eat everything, but this one (pointing finger) is the one with the issues'
Quietly she said 'I'm good'
So where do you go from there? She would not say anything else.
Later the guy comes back down and I ask if she eats meat, eggs, dairy?
He said and I quote "she is a vegetarian, well at least that is what she is this week" and he winked at me.
She ended up not coming down at all.

Check in yesterday. I asked about food allergies.
He said 'I eat everything, but this one (pointing finger) is the one with the issues'
Quietly she said 'I'm good'
So where do you go from there? She would not say anything else.
Later the guy comes back down and I ask if she eats meat, eggs, dairy?
He said and I quote "she is a vegetarian, well at least that is what she is this week" and he winked at me.
She ended up not coming down at all..
I see her food problems as revenge on an idiot husband. She should just divorce him and get on with living.
You don't have to like your spouse's diet but you have to have their back.

- Seafood (1 person)
Potluck. BYOF. How many people are coming? And what kind of interns? Sounds like a sickly profession. ;-)
Morticia said:
Thirty-five or so. Theater interns, all youngsters - living in dorms so we do these lunches once a week so they get some decent food. I do despair for the future of B&B guests with all the special diets for young folks these days. My last innsit I had two young girls on special diets - pretty sure it was all mama's issues, though.

Back