ghosts again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winewitch

Reaction score
We just had the second guest in 6 months stay and mention paranormal experiences in one of our rooms. I think we have squirrels under foot.
Anyway, the experiences haven't been negative, the first was a female guest who said the ghost of a young child and her dog stayed in her room all night. The second guest is going to e-mail us his experience, he didn't have time in the morning to explain, but said it wasn't negative. These guests did not have the kind of personalities that I would expect them to say these things, in fact, I wouldn't have thought they would have believed in ghosts at all, if the subject came up. We had another guest say he thought our place might be haunted, but said he didn't have any experience, just a vibe...
I have stayed in both of these rooms, and while I do get a vibe off of these two rooms and one other space in the house, I have not had any "experiences" . I think the ghosties are afraid of me! Better be! HA!
Anyway, we asked some neighbors who used to own the place if they knew of any history on the house that would make a good ghost story or had any weird experiences, and they said no....
If people are buried on the property, is that something that necessarily has to be disclosed to a buyer? Our house is over 100 years old, I wonder what the likelihood of someone being buried here is? Right next door, is the original homestead for this property...all that's left of it is the foundation, which is now a chicken coop... I wonder if someone was buried here, perhaps over time and previous lack of regulations to report it, that the record would just be lost and no one then would report it or could report it, because they wouldn't know about it...On the other hand, most of the people who would have lived here, other than the original homesteaders, would have been affluent enough to afford a proper burial in a cemetery.
As long as we have nice ghosts, I don't care!
Have any of you had anything negative happen?? How do you handle this kind of situation? The first guest was visibly shaken by the experience, and no, she wasn't a crazy!

I don't know much about ghosts.
I do know that if your house is over 100 years old the chances are very, very high that at some point someone has died in the house.
My dad died in a fairly new house, and my mom died in her house that was less than a year old. No matter what they say about "died at the hospital" the reality is she died at the house, was worked on in vain, and declared dead at the hospital.
So then, when both of the houses were for sale, the realtor mentioned it to a potential buyer about one of the house in the presence of my bil... my bil was not happy, as he wanted the house to sell.
What it simply means to me is, people die in houses. And your house is old, so people have died there. And if you really believe in ghosts and such, then that's probably enough.
I tend to vote squirrels, but if you're getting that kind of reports you might as well call in that TV show and get some money from it.
=)
Kk.

Had one guest refuse to stay another night in one room. THAT room is the only one to elicit that sort of response. Other repeat guests have declined to stay in it if it's the only one open.

You gotta get out here - there are family cemetaries all over the place, behind nearly every church as well! That is how it was done in those days.
We had people born and die in this house. We have a large town cemetary behind our house.
We also have squirrels, birds build nests in the down spouts, raccoons, mice, cats, possums, and even three weekends ago when DH was climbing through the attic crawlspace between the floors due to a water heater leak. I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned the ghost that night (it was 3am) and an emergency.
cry_smile.gif

PS the loudest and worst sounds we have ever had was a bird stuck in a wall, it scratched and scratched - that was a good one to scare people, even me. It sounded like "let me ouuuuuuuuuuuuuut! Let me ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!" and would stop when exhausted and start up again.

my sister's house in scituate is an interesting place.
it's been added on to, but the original part of the house is from the 1700's. they have a library that used to be 'the borning and dying room' someone having a baby was cared for in that room, as was someone who was dying. and people may have buried their loved ones way out back in what were fields at the time. if it was as recent as 100 years, i don't know what the laws were about burials. if someone buried a family member on the property, it may have been kept secret.
we used to think there were residual hauntings in her house ... sounds that just repeat and repeat ... footsteps ... like an echo. if you believe in that sort of thing. a part of the american population LOVES this stuff. i'd be very interested in what your guest has to say.
and, yes, people die in houses all the time. my late husband died in our home.

I lived in a modest, fairly new house in Southern California in 1970. After I moved away, someone was killed in that house.
I stayed in a bnb that was supposedly haunted, locally. I didn't realize it at the time, but supposedly there was a friendly, playful ghost who would play with lit candles! Never exposed itself to us.
Carol

If my property was haunted, you bet I'd use it as a marketing ploy. Americans are obsessed with the paranormal. That's why shows like "Ghost Hunters" are so popular. Getting featured on that show will guarantee you 100% occupancy for years.

If my property was haunted, you bet I'd use it as a marketing ploy. Americans are obsessed with the paranormal. That's why shows like "Ghost Hunters" are so popular. Getting featured on that show will guarantee you 100% occupancy for years..
tle041 said:
If my property was haunted, you bet I'd use it as a marketing ploy. Americans are obsessed with the paranormal. That's why shows like "Ghost Hunters" are so popular. Getting featured on that show will guarantee you 100% occupancy for years.
Not all Americans are obsessed with the paranormal, just like not all Americans watch the rubbish shows like Jerry Springer that are on world wide. They think we watch that crap. Not all Americans have bright white teethy grins, not all Americans love blueberry pie. LOL!
This is why I do not mention there is a cemetary behind us, some would never stay here if they knew that, some go and search out the owners of this house back there and love it. Some are superstitious, you are not allowed to step on a grave, etc. So there is a plethora of different ideas. You would either have to market it ALL THE WAY or not at all.

I am not sure if Mr. Gillum or Mrs. Harris died in the house, but my Daddy and my b-i-l both died - quite contendly - in my Library. If anyone could haunt, I promise you my Daddy would, just for the heck of doing it!

I lived in a modest, fairly new house in Southern California in 1970. After I moved away, someone was killed in that house.
I stayed in a bnb that was supposedly haunted, locally. I didn't realize it at the time, but supposedly there was a friendly, playful ghost who would play with lit candles! Never exposed itself to us.
Carol.
"Never exposed itself to us."
a ghost that wears a trench coat?
sorry, bad humor.... really bad....
smileystooges.gif

Carol.
smileystooges.gif

greyswan said:
smileystooges.gif
And yet what so many of us thought when we read it...
=)
Kk.

My previous owner died on the boat after he fell on the aft deck and sustained a lethal head injury. He was discovered the following morning, floating next to the boat. This boat was his pride and joy and he truly loved her, as do I. During my first days aboard, I found his wedding band in the bilge - in the shower sump pit. I returned it to his wife who said she had been praying to St. Anthony for the return of the ring she lost. She said that's when she knew the sale of the yacht to me, who was not the highest bidder, was "meant to be." She said she had an unexplanable feeling about me as a buyer rather than the other guy who was offered more money than I did.
Ed and I occasionally mention "the ghost of Commodore Pearson" to each other, thinking he's just got to be onboard here, but we've never had any "experiences" nor has anyone ever reported one. The only thing strange that sometimes happens is that the engine room doors occasionally fly open when underway - I would think that's probably just the latches vibrating open, but they are stiff to begin with, and ALL eight of them opening at once???? :) A few times, I've come home and found a couple of those doors open - can't blame that on vibration - boat never moved. Regardless, I'm sure he would be pleased knowing we love her as much as he did.

Back