Gift bags made from newspaper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is especially fun if you bring back a foreign newspaper from your voyage, or a guest leaves one in their room when they check out.
238620480226844535_ORJwdRFN_f.jpg

Link here

Yeah can't help but remind me of the years of fish and chips in Australia, that is how you get them (and we could buy them, directly from the fish market and they can fry or grill whatever fish you want! CRONULLA NSW is anyone pops on here from down under) . Orange roughy, John Dory, sure thing, hands you the bundle of fish and chips.
NOTa skinny filet with bones in it like I got in the original fish and chips pub in London. Blech.

Oh those are really cute. But I would not put any food products unwrapped in a newspaper. Who knows where it has been :-(

i wish the directions were in english ... but i 'think' i can figure it out. i love love love gift bags ... so fun! and so expensive$. i could make some from random ends of christmas wrap ... wouldn't that be cute? and also the endless stream of catalogs that come in ... even though i filled out a form to stop them ... i wonder how they would look as gift bags. for my fahionista daughter and daughters in law i could make gift bags from the clothing catalogs.
just a few, not a lot.
thanks for posting this!

As a kid we always used the funny papers as wrapping paper. This is just another version of that, me thinks. :)

the funnies would be fun little bags!
i guess with newspaper you have to use the kind where the ink doesn't come off on your hands. somewhere, a few decades ago, i remember they changed the ink and it made a mess. truth ... i hardly ever get a newspaper any more. does this still happen?

i wish the directions were in english ... but i 'think' i can figure it out. i love love love gift bags ... so fun! and so expensive$. i could make some from random ends of christmas wrap ... wouldn't that be cute? and also the endless stream of catalogs that come in ... even though i filled out a form to stop them ... i wonder how they would look as gift bags. for my fahionista daughter and daughters in law i could make gift bags from the clothing catalogs.
just a few, not a lot.
thanks for posting this!.
Don't you have TRANSLATE with Chrome browser ? It did a good job for me.

i guess with newspaper you have to use the kind where the ink doesn't come off on your hands. somewhere, a few decades ago, i remember they changed the ink and it made a mess. truth ... i hardly ever get a newspaper any more. does this still happen?.
Once a long time ago I heard a story on NPR about a butler training school in London. One of the responsibilities of the butler was to iron the newspaper so that the ink wouldn't come off on one's fingers. I haven't tried it myself to see if it works or not.

The butlers always iron the newspapers on Upstairs/Downstairs and Downton Abbey. Those British aristocrats know (knew) how to live in style!

i guess with newspaper you have to use the kind where the ink doesn't come off on your hands. somewhere, a few decades ago, i remember they changed the ink and it made a mess. truth ... i hardly ever get a newspaper any more. does this still happen?.
Once a long time ago I heard a story on NPR about a butler training school in London. One of the responsibilities of the butler was to iron the newspaper so that the ink wouldn't come off on one's fingers. I haven't tried it myself to see if it works or not.
it does make the ink meld with the paper so it doesn't run - was going to recommend this was done before making the bags

The NYT kills me. By the time I am done with a couple of sections I am grimy. The local paper isn't as bad.

They could easily put in some heated rollers for the paper to run through as it leaves the printing press, but they just don't care about our messy hands!

just a few, not a lot.
thanks for posting this!.
catlady said:
no ... and my computer keeps crashing. sad. i think it's time to invest in a new one instead of pushing this 11 year old past its limits.

They could easily put in some heated rollers for the paper to run through as it leaves the printing press, but they just don't care about our messy hands!.
Arkansawyer said:
They could easily put in some heated rollers for the paper to run through as it leaves the printing press, but they just don't care about our messy hands!
I am really sorry to sidetrack this thread, but I have to ask. Arks, will you be using any newsprint (old papers) or anything re newspapers/printing presses in the Guest House? I have to know, I just think it would be really awesome.

We've found lots of old letterpress halftones (how they printed photos in the old days) and lead type and stuff in the crawlspace under my family's old print shop in the building, and I'll definitely work that stuff into the B&B (along with the thousands of old whiskey bottles my grandfather drained and hid in the crawlspace).
Since the building will also have 2 retail shops downstairs, one of my cousins also suggested that I obtain an old hand-powered press and get someone run it as a custom printing shop, for instance to print small numbers of invitations and things with the old lead type that leaves an imprint embossed into the paper. It has a cool appearance you just can't get from modern offset printing or a an inkjet!
I don't know about that. Not enough business in this little town to support such a "printing musem", but we'll see what we can come up with!

We've found lots of old letterpress halftones (how they printed photos in the old days) and lead type and stuff in the crawlspace under my family's old print shop in the building, and I'll definitely work that stuff into the B&B (along with the thousands of old whiskey bottles my grandfather drained and hid in the crawlspace).
Since the building will also have 2 retail shops downstairs, one of my cousins also suggested that I obtain an old hand-powered press and get someone run it as a custom printing shop, for instance to print small numbers of invitations and things with the old lead type that leaves an imprint embossed into the paper. It has a cool appearance you just can't get from modern offset printing or a an inkjet!
I don't know about that. Not enough business in this little town to support such a "printing musem", but we'll see what we can come up with!.
Rather than the print shop bit, you could use it to print your brochure to be something to REALLY stand out - just for your local CVB to be sending out and stocking in their racks and for around town. Also print a monthly events sheet. Make them look like an old news sheet. Get one of the cousins (or family teens) to be the printer one day a week or one day a month. It would employ a teen and give you something different that depending on demand MAY actually turn into another enterprise.
We have a printer just outside of town that most of the churches use for programs, and many townspeople use for printing needs. She is a very small job shop with just her and one employee who started as a teen and is still there.

I don't know about that. Not enough business in this little town to support such a "printing musem", but we'll see what we can come up with!.
Rather than the print shop bit, you could use it to print your brochure to be something to REALLY stand out - just for your local CVB to be sending out and stocking in their racks and for around town. Also print a monthly events sheet. Make them look like an old news sheet. Get one of the cousins (or family teens) to be the printer one day a week or one day a month. It would employ a teen and give you something different that depending on demand MAY actually turn into another enterprise.
We have a printer just outside of town that most of the churches use for programs, and many townspeople use for printing needs. She is a very small job shop with just her and one employee who started as a teen and is still there.
gillumhouse said:
This could be fun! And nice to have a press in town again (our local paper has been printed in another city for the last 40 years).

Back