Gift Cards are a dirty word

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just got a call for a graduation weekend, toward the end of the call when I asked for her cc details (she stayed here two years ago) was told she has a gift card.
I have all past guest info in my system and as I was telling her we are not members of bandb.com I read my notes and saw that two years ago she handed me the gift card at check out (YES The notes say guest handed me the gift card at check out without any prior notice!) AFTER obtaining all the discounts I had on offer.
She said a moment ago "Well you are IN THE BOOK!" I said, we are not members, and quite a few who do belong to that B&B directory do not accept gift cards as they take a very high commission. She said she has had these gift cards for a few years now. Well that is the good news, I told her, they don't expire!
ALWAYS THE WAY PEOPLE!
ONE NIGHTERS - I would only take two nights that weekend (I am no sure what part of the planet BandB.com says the avg stay is like 3 or 4 nights, but it has never been here, not in my experience) we have a two night min.
So what we get are a) one nighters, b) want all online discounts, repeat guest and college fam discounts, c) use the card since someone gave it to them at check out or check in whenever they have to pay.

I've never even had someone with my gift cert stay more than what the GC paid for. This is supposing that the giver knew the person wanted to stay here. I guess that's not the way it works. The giftee will stay as long as the money holds out!

Those with gift cards or gift certificates are always the ones looking for other discounts or freebies. They are also the ones that always provide some criticisum or should I say helpful hints as they depart.
Just had a couple here with a gift certificate that covered everything but the taxes. They questioned what the additional money was for. (Tax is not collected when purchasing a GC here). They had also wanted to bring their daugher but when I told them it was $15 per night, they found someone for her to stay with. (HE brought it up again when they arrived!!!) Oh, in addition she asked as they left if she could have a couple of hangers from the closet!!!
Why is it that the ones that pay full price, do not ask for discounts etc. come and go with nothing but high praise, while the ones that come here on someone elses dime nickel and dime you to death & whine about the smallest of things!!!

Those with gift cards or gift certificates are always the ones looking for other discounts or freebies. They are also the ones that always provide some criticisum or should I say helpful hints as they depart.
Just had a couple here with a gift certificate that covered everything but the taxes. They questioned what the additional money was for. (Tax is not collected when purchasing a GC here). They had also wanted to bring their daugher but when I told them it was $15 per night, they found someone for her to stay with. (HE brought it up again when they arrived!!!) Oh, in addition she asked as they left if she could have a couple of hangers from the closet!!!
Why is it that the ones that pay full price, do not ask for discounts etc. come and go with nothing but high praise, while the ones that come here on someone elses dime nickel and dime you to death & whine about the smallest of things!!!.
Hangers? From your closet? What are they thinking? That hangers grow on trees?

Why is it that the ones that pay full price, do not ask for discounts etc. come and go with nothing but high praise, while the ones that come here on someone elses dime nickel and dime you to death & whine about the smallest of things!!!.
I had a few folks ask for hangers...that's when I'd go and get them a few of the many wire hangers left behind!
wink_smile.gif

I had a few folks ask for hangers...that's when I'd go and get them a few of the many wire hangers left behind!
wink_smile.gif

We do that, too. I have a stash of wire hangers in the back room. I hand them out gratefully! Otherwise, off to the recycle with them once/year.

Actually I have had quite a few people stay 2 nights who have a bandb GC for one night only .. it is a BIG comm but I still they that they and iloveinns are the 2 best associations out there, but as we have pointed out before, their website clearly says that you need to tell the Innkeeper on reservation that you will be using a GC but I had to "hunt" for that phrase and I think it should be much clearer when heading to the GC section on their site, whether or not the res is made through them or direct with the hotel

Alibi Ike said:
No they are trees!
wink_smile.gif
Couldn't help myself. No wonder hotels have those unstealable hangers.

How common are GC in general?.
Gingerbread Latte said:
How common are GC in general?
Tough question. But time for you to sort through what you want to do.
BBdotcom and I love inns are the two directories that come to mind. In each case, your inn must opt in to take those GC's. In the case of I love inns you opt for a buy one night get the second night free. There is a rather hefty commission for participating in BBdot com. You might choose not to participate in either of those programs.
You have the option of doing your own GC's at your inn, and depending on your own local/state laws, the cost of your GC may be with or without the tax, for a certain dollar amount, or for a certain room. Some state BB associations also sell GC's for any participating inn, usually with much less commission.
You will also learn that there will be many charitable/non-profit organizations who will ask you for some sort of donation up to and including a night's stay. You will have time now to try to decide what your policies will be towards these organizations.

I don't sell a lot and I don't get a lot, but because of new regs IN MY CASE I don't do my own, I will sell and accept B&B.com GC and then I don't have the liability (on the books) issue nor worry about my own GC's that are out there . YES it costs me money but each has to make decisions best for their own business.

Gingerbread Latte said:
BBdotcom and I love inns are the two directories that come to mind. In each case, your inn must opt in to take those GC's. In the case of I love inns you opt for a buy one night get the second night free. There is a rather hefty commission for participating in BBdot com. You might choose not to participate in either of those programs.
You have the option of doing your own GC's at your inn, and depending on your own local/state laws, the cost of your GC may be with or without the tax, for a certain dollar amount, or for a certain room. Some state BB associations also sell GC's for any participating inn, usually with much less commission.
You will also learn that there will be many charitable/non-profit organizations who will ask you for some sort of donation up to and including a night's stay. You will have time now to try to decide what your policies will be towards these organizations.
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
And you will find they are not necessarily going to be local organizations either. I get begging letters from Florida, SC, east-coast PA among others as well as in my State. They all think we can just deduct it from our taxes - and to help you with this, the answer is NO you cannot deduct anything more than your expenses for food,laundry, utilities. You cannot deduct $250 because it normally rents for $250 per the CPA who set up my business papers.

Gingerbread Latte said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
And you will find they are not necessarily going to be local organizations either. I get begging letters from Florida, SC, east-coast PA among others as well as in my State. They all think we can just deduct it from our taxes - and to help you with this, the answer is NO you cannot deduct anything more than your expenses for food,laundry, utilities. You cannot deduct $250 because it normally rents for $250 per the CPA who set up my business papers.
gillumhouse said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
I got two today in the mail with my name as a "sponsor" (on the envelope) for an elementary school in another state, and the other was an annual party for a business, for another. Oh please...like there isn't enough businesses and schools and charities WITHIN MY OWN TOWN AND COUNTY!!! Howbout they pay our $1000 power bill this month!
A marketer called today and asked for the owner, I said "This is a reservation line" CLICK. Hung up on me.
It is to the point I can barely answer the phone or open my mail! GO AWAY YOU PACK OF DRONGOS!

and now I just got a call from this http://www.imsbarter.com/ any one know about this BARTERING? the only thing I want to barter is you pay me MONEY and I will give you a room and breakfast!

Gingerbread Latte said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
gillumhouse said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
I got two today in the mail with my name as a "sponsor" (on the envelope) for an elementary school in another state, and the other was an annual party for a business, for another. Oh please...like there isn't enough businesses and schools and charities WITHIN MY OWN TOWN AND COUNTY!!! Howbout they pay our $1000 power bill this month!
A marketer called today and asked for the owner, I said "This is a reservation line" CLICK. Hung up on me.
It is to the point I can barely answer the phone or open my mail! GO AWAY YOU PACK OF DRONGOS!
And they want a weekend package not just a chintzy one-nighter! So they can give you so much publicity with all those who attend their event (meaning the poor schmucks who either attend out of duty or could not come up with a dying relative).

Gingerbread Latte said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
gillumhouse said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
$1004 in fuel oil. Unbelievable. They'll be back in 3 weeks to do it again.

Gingerbread Latte said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
gillumhouse said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
I vow to NOT complain about my gas AND electric bill again! We layer and I shiver to keep both down to afordable - but I will not complain about it again! I just looked to be sure of this statement - BOTH my utilities combined for the year 2010 were a hair more than 2 trips of your oil truck. And last wiinter I had the heat on in the upstairs rooms on minimum and the bathrooms on comfort (so pipes did not freeze). Downstairs we keep the thermostat @ 64 by day and 60 at night. The gas space heaters are on in our bathroom and in the kitchen during the day (unless like last night and Friday night with all-nighters). DH keeps his electric heater and electric floor mat on - cannot afford to have him get sick or a cold in his bad leg.

Gingerbread Latte said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
gillumhouse said:
Innkeep said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
I vow to NOT complain about my gas AND electric bill again! We layer and I shiver to keep both down to afordable - but I will not complain about it again! I just looked to be sure of this statement - BOTH my utilities combined for the year 2010 were a hair more than 2 trips of your oil truck. And last wiinter I had the heat on in the upstairs rooms on minimum and the bathrooms on comfort (so pipes did not freeze). Downstairs we keep the thermostat @ 64 by day and 60 at night. The gas space heaters are on in our bathroom and in the kitchen during the day (unless like last night and Friday night with all-nighters). DH keeps his electric heater and electric floor mat on - cannot afford to have him get sick or a cold in his bad leg.
I think my house might be a tad bigger, too.
wink_smile.gif
This morning it was 56 in the inn when I went over there to grab some laundry. It was 59 in my space. (No guests, heat turned way down. Frozen pipes this morning. Rats.)
My average electric bill is about $150/month. It'll go over $300 when it gets hot.

oh yeah having a full house with lights, a/c and all is cheaper than NO ONE HERE and the heat on as low as possible, If it goes below freezing the heating here is ineffective. I have the gas fireplace on in here right now and am bundled up. It is not even as cold as most here on the forum have it (outside temps). Old houses. Not energy efficient. at all.

Back