Gift Cards - to redeem or not redeem

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Hey I just had a grand idea! Or was it?
I was given two BandB.com gift cards for a room stay this morning, as I am not a member currently of the GIFT CERTIFICATE program on BandB.com I may still redeem them by calling and giving them the order and gc #'s. We lose 20% on these cards (which is why we do not participate in this program). So for two $100 gc's we pay $40, and possibly whatever discount was given the guest, ie Military discount.
I might hold onto them and use them myself and not lose out on the $40! Has anyone done that on this forum? I would like the $, but $40 is $40 bucks. YOUR THOUGHTS?

Beats losing $40 if you can use them before they expire (do they expire?). Why not, you would be "regifting".

That sounds good, if you can find a place that will take them!
wink_smile.gif
they'll be like flat stanley, being regifted innkeeper to innkeeper for ages...

They never expire, they say:
no black out dates, no expiration and no fees
I just looked the place I was thinking of doesn't accept them, or they are like us, we are not on the list accepting them anyway.

Definitely use them for yourself. I have thought of doing the same thing or regifting them. Only prob I have is that I cannot check to make sure there is anything left on them as I don't accept them. So I have to call a friend to look the GC's up and make sure they are valid before morning.
But I think it's a great way to use them. But I would try to use them at a really big place because it's a really big impact on the little guys.

That sounds good, if you can find a place that will take them!
wink_smile.gif
they'll be like flat stanley, being regifted innkeeper to innkeeper for ages....
What a business model! A GC that never actually gets 'cashed in'! Just use the same one over and over!

They never expire, they say:
no black out dates, no expiration and no fees
I just looked the place I was thinking of doesn't accept them, or they are like us, we are not on the list accepting them anyway..
But you don't need them HERE.... (in Shinnston)
Edited to add: I know, you been there; done that!

Definitely use them for yourself. I have thought of doing the same thing or regifting them. Only prob I have is that I cannot check to make sure there is anything left on them as I don't accept them. So I have to call a friend to look the GC's up and make sure they are valid before morning.
But I think it's a great way to use them. But I would try to use them at a really big place because it's a really big impact on the little guys..
You could call bandb.com - not as an innkeeper, as a holder of gift cards - and ask for the balance. You should do that if you accept them for a room payment, anyway, to be sure you are not getting 'used' goods.

We had innkeepers from across the state stay here instead of cashing in a GC they received. We then used it to stay at another B&B that took them, and I think those innkeepers were going to use it as well. So, that GC really made the rounds! The face value on the card was $100.00 so everyone just paid the difference if there was one.

But I think it's a great way to use them. But I would try to use them at a really big place because it's a really big impact on the little guys..
Bree said:
SURE YOU CAN! Just like anyone can!
https://giftcertificates.bedandbreakfast.com/CertificateLookup.aspx

Bree said:
SURE YOU CAN! Just like anyone can!
https://giftcertificates.bedandbreakfast.com/CertificateLookup.aspx
I tried doing that a couple of years ago and I was told I didn't have access to that. Which makes no sense given a guest might want to check up on it as well! Glad to know it's working properly now.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Why would the gift card holder choose to stay at a non-participating B&B to begin with if intending to use the cards for payment?
Why would an innkeeper unsure about the transferability or fine print of the gift cards accept them in lieu of actual payment and run the risk of getting stiffed if they weren't transferable until redeemed?
Why would an innkeeper who is opposed to accepting them for I assume the distaste of having the commission deducted be more than willing to let some other colleague absorb that commission?
As with any discussion of discounting here, I always ask about and adhere to the concept that if you are willing to offer ANY guest a discount or reduction equal to any commission paid to a second party, what is the difference?

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Why would the gift card holder choose to stay at a non-participating B&B to begin with if intending to use the cards for payment?
Why would an innkeeper unsure about the transferability or fine print of the gift cards accept them in lieu of actual payment and run the risk of getting stiffed if they weren't transferable until redeemed?
Why would an innkeeper who is opposed to accepting them for I assume the distaste of having the commission deducted be more than willing to let some other colleague absorb that commission?
As with any discussion of discounting here, I always ask about and adhere to the concept that if you are willing to offer ANY guest a discount or reduction equal to any commission paid to a second party, what is the difference?.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
As with any discussion of discounting here, I always ask about and adhere to the concept that if you are willing to offer ANY guest a discount or reduction equal to any commission paid to a second party, what is the difference?
GC holders do not always know which B&B's take the GC's no matter how many times the directory makes changes to make it abundantly clear that they MUST inform the B&B BEFORE arrival that they are using the GC. (Which is how I found out I could not access the GC system to check the number to be sure it was valid when I had a screaming guest at my front desk.)
Now that I know I can check the GC's I would accept them, check them and then either use them myself or regift them to my kids.
My kids have used the GC's at big resorts, never a small B&B, which is what I would do if I chose to use one that showed up at my door. The philosophy there being that a big resort can absorb a $30 discount faster than a small 4 room B&B.
No one coming here gets a $30 discount (the average GC's total $100, even if they come in $25 increments). The flip side to the question about commissions is that I choose who gets a discount, I don't like having it thrust upon me. And guests will try to get a discount first and then 'mention' they will be paying with the GC once I've knocked the price down by the amount I am comfortable with. All the guest is trying to do is pay the least out of pocket, and who could blame them?

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
As with any discussion of discounting here, I always ask about and adhere to the concept that if you are willing to offer ANY guest a discount or reduction equal to any commission paid to a second party, what is the difference?.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
GC holders do not always know which B&B's take the GC's no matter how many times the directory makes changes to make it abundantly clear that they MUST inform the B&B BEFORE arrival that they are using the GC. (Which is how I found out I could not access the GC system to check the number to be sure it was valid when I had a screaming guest at my front desk.)
Now that I know I can check the GC's I would accept them, check them and then either use them myself or regift them to my kids.
My kids have used the GC's at big resorts, never a small B&B, which is what I would do if I chose to use one that showed up at my door. The philosophy there being that a big resort can absorb a $30 discount faster than a small 4 room B&B.
No one coming here gets a $30 discount (the average GC's total $100, even if they come in $25 increments). The flip side to the question about commissions is that I choose who gets a discount, I don't like having it thrust upon me. And guests will try to get a discount first and then 'mention' they will be paying with the GC once I've knocked the price down by the amount I am comfortable with. All the guest is trying to do is pay the least out of pocket, and who could blame them?
I based my comments on the assumption that Joe was referring to B&B.com GCs which probably doesn't represent too many "big resorts".
I think bnbfinder's commission is about 10% lower if memory serves. We don't get very many of either, so the impact isn't very large.
Most of the B&Bs who both accept them and participate in their online reservation system are small B&Bs like most of ours building their businesses. Thats the only reason we do it and we wouldn't if we were even slightly more secure in our projected annual bookings than we currently are.
We all know the business of bigger volume enabling bigger properties to slash rates, offer rooms on priceline, hotwire, etc.. so that goes without saying.
But nobody said what size property they'd go redeem one at.
Thanks for that clarification.
As far as somebody thrusting something on you, the program through B&B.com is voluntary just like you opening your front door, letting a stranger tour your house, eating up your time then dickering over the rate.
I'm not sure I see the distinction.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
I based my comments on the assumption that Joe was referring to B&B.com GCs which probably doesn't represent too many "big resorts".
I think bnbfinder's commission is about 10% lower if memory serves. We don't get very many of either, so the impact isn't very large.
Most of the B&Bs who both accept them and participate in their online reservation system are small B&Bs like most of ours building their businesses. Thats the only reason we do it and we wouldn't if we were even slightly more secure in our projected annual bookings than we currently are.
We all know the business of bigger volume enabling bigger properties to slash rates, offer rooms on priceline, hotwire, etc.. so that goes without saying.
As far as somebody thrusting something on you, the program through B&B.com is voluntary just like you opening your front door, letting a stranger tour your house, eating up your time then dickering over the rate.
It is voluntary but people think if you are listed on bandb you also take the GCs and do not believe you when you say I am sorry but we do not take them. Also they often do not tell you until checkout they are using them. Trust me, if I ever get in the position of a guest presenting me with a bandb GC, I will have a a kid getting a super getaway rather than take the hit in cash - unless it was the dead of winter and almost time for the honking loan payment to hit...... Nah. Kids win.
Edited for thought that came as I hit save: If I use the GC I not only lose on the commission but I also lose on taxes because it goes on my revenue stream as full charge and my B & O is based on gross revenue so a comp does not get the B & O hit.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
It is voluntary but people think if you are listed on bandb you also take the GCs and do not believe you when you say I am sorry but we do not take them. Also they often do not tell you until checkout they are using them. Trust me, if I ever get in the position of a guest presenting me with a bandb GC, I will have a a kid getting a super getaway rather than take the hit in cash - unless it was the dead of winter and almost time for the honking loan payment to hit...... Nah. Kids win.
Edited for thought that came as I hit save: If I use the GC I not only lose on the commission but I also lose on taxes because it goes on my revenue stream as full charge and my B & O is based on gross revenue so a comp does not get the B & O hit.
gillumhouse said:
It is voluntary but people think if you are listed on bandb you also take the GCs and do not believe you when you say I am sorry but we do not take them. Also they often do not tell you until checkout they are using them.
Well, we must be extra lucky because we've NEVER had a single guest spring one on us or even get to the final stages of the reservation process without asking if we accpeted them. I just took a reservation today for one and it was the first question she asked.
I don't know how your accountant does your taxes, but ours is based on gross income received. If it was any other way, NOBODY would ever discount a room.
If your website and brochure say a room is $150 and you give a discount and only charge and receive $125 what kind of crazy taxing body expects you to pay taxes on the original $150?
We also list the commissions paid to any party that acts as a de facto travel agent as a "commission" which is a expense.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
gillumhouse said:
It is voluntary but people think if you are listed on bandb you also take the GCs and do not believe you when you say I am sorry but we do not take them. Also they often do not tell you until checkout they are using them.
Well, we must be extra lucky because we've NEVER had a single guest spring one on us or even get to the final stages of the reservation process without asking if we accpeted them. I just took a reservation today for one and it was the first question she asked.
I don't know how your accountant does your taxes, but ours is based on gross income received. If it was any other way, NOBODY would ever discount a room.
If your website and brochure say a room is $150 and you give a discount and only charge and receive $125 what kind of crazy taxing body expects you to pay taxes on the original $150?
We also list the commissions paid to any party that acts as a de facto travel agent as a "commission" which is a expense.
If the ledger says I charged $100 - regardless of what the regular rate is - I pay B & O on $100. If I take a $100 GC to pay for a $100 room and $30 goes to commission, I still pay B & O tax on $100 because that is what the guest paid for the room. B & O is business & occupation tax and is a city or county, depending, tax in WV for the priviledge of doing business. I want services in my city so I pay it without grumbling because it says I HAD business (many in this city never thought we would) and the city has to pay for services somehow.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
gillumhouse said:
If the ledger says I charged $100 - regardless of what the regular rate is - I pay B & O on $100. If I take a $100 GC to pay for a $100 room and $30 goes to commission, I still pay B & O tax on $100 because that is what the guest paid for the room. B & O is business & occupation tax and is a city or county, depending, tax in WV for the priviledge of doing business. I want services in my city so I pay it without grumbling because it says I HAD business (many in this city never thought we would) and the city has to pay for services somehow.
gillumhouse said:
I don't want to argue with you but if you look at your state and federal tax forms under expenses, you'll find a commissions slot to deduct those expenses.
Also, when the income from the card or gift certificate is deposited into your bank account, it only shows the net amount, which I'd have a hard time believing isn't the figure any business uses to calculate your gross revenue.
Your city and county probably charge a sales tax, license fees, property taxes, etc... but I'm thrilled to hear someone besides myself actually understand the connection between taxes and the government services they provide.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
If the tax is 10%, the room is $100 you pay 10%. Then you get your money BACK from BandB.com and it is only $80.
I am not listed on the gc list online but took this two night booking as it was better than a poke in the eye with a hot stick. :) Now I am considering not losing the $40 and taking the GC elsewhere to use. If someone else accepts them, then I am good to go. Or should I rather call and innmate up and beg a free stay? I don't like to take rooms over weekends at an innmates if I can help it. So those are the options, since there are two milestone birthdays coming up, I thought I could keep the cards and use them.
That is all, it is not all that complicated. Just thought I would pass on to ya'll a way of not losing $40. If you want to give the gift of BnB gc's. You own the cards when they are in your possession, you can check the balance on line.

" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
" YOUR THOUGHTS?"
Bree said:
GC holders do not always know which B&B's take the GC's no matter how many times the directory makes changes to make it abundantly clear that they MUST inform the B&B BEFORE arrival that they are using the GC.
We had at least three guests show up with unannounced bandb.com gift certs/cards the first time we stopped taking them - rather than continue the confrontations that caused with guests who can't understand why you are listed on a site but don't take their cards, we re-upped. When they raised the commish to 20% we bowed out permanently. I now have a statement in my Webervations policies, on the website and in my confirmation that we don't take them. We have not had any show up this time around. We don't support any full-availability discounts that are more than 10% - the BOGO certs that we take have limited days and time of year uses and government rates have specific guidelines.

Back