Gift Certificate Cancellations and Rebookings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
One of the issues with Gift Certificates is they feel they do not need to give you a credit card as the room is already paid for. They then feel that no rules apply to them.
On the GC's I have a Policies line that GC's are subject to the same policies as all reservations. It is really nice IF they can book the GC online and agree to your policies, but typically they are phone calls.
I just had a lady call to rebook her room for this weekend - tomorrow night! (2 nights). She did not have another date in mind, she just couldn't make it and wanted to reschedule. I suggested she hand it off to someone else who could enjoy the stay.
In the past, year one, I had a guest who would simply reschedule and pop the reservation forward over and over. Me, being the nice new innkeeper wanting everyone to be happy even when they tread all over you - allowed this. We lost bookings due to it. We have policies for a reason, when we bend them it bites us in the butt.
So I stuck to my guns and told her that is all we can do at this late notice.

I know - I hate that and when I get a booking I confirm and point out the latest date they can change if something comes up or the GC is forfeit. I'm lucky in that they usually book online for me - don't know why but I love it.
I can usually get them to book even after talking on the phone by telling them the form has them give me the information I need to ensure an enjoyable stay, such as what breakfast foods do they NOT like, etc.
RIki

I have the same problem. Some do not tell me that they are going to use a GC which I do request in my confirmation. This does not prevent the booking (unless they have restrictions on the GC, which some of mine have) it just allows me the knowledge of how much $ I will be taking in at that time. It also does provide me with info so if there are restrictions, I can call and speak with them by phone to arrange another date or extend their stay. I would hate for someone to book, not tell me of a GC then them show for 1 night when 2 nights are required.
(When I do donate GC's they are not good during event periods and have a 2 night min. - thus providing us with some income. I do state the link to our policies as well spell out the added restrictions but as we always say - people don't read)

These are some of the reasons why I no longer do GCs. I stopped several years ago.

These are some of the reasons why I no longer do GCs. I stopped several years ago..
ginocat said:
These are some of the reasons why I no longer do GCs. I stopped several years ago.
Every time I sell one I hear your words ringing in my ears, and I wonder if I should do it. But I don't sell many and when I do it is over winter and the ka-ching ka-ching makes me prod ahead.
They did not show nor send anyone in their stead. So done done now. But the back of my mind I keep wondering, Will they hold onto it and act like they can still redeem it.
I might go the same way as you have and not sell any more. I need to make a command decision on this. (Okay update - I did, no more GC's esp if we sell and end up a private home! Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry)

These are some of the reasons why I no longer do GCs. I stopped several years ago..
ginocat said:
Every time I sell one I hear your words ringing in my ears, and I wonder if I should do it. But I don't sell many and when I do it is over winter and the ka-ching ka-ching makes me prod ahead.
They did not show nor send anyone in their stead. So done done now. But the back of my mind I keep wondering, Will they hold onto it and act like they can still redeem it.
I might go the same way as you have and not sell any more. I need to make a command decision on this. (Okay update - I did, no more GC's esp if we sell and end up a private home! Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry)
We stopped selling them about a year ago. I'm glad we did. It hurt a litttle bit in December, but we won't be redeeming them in October this year, so the money will come anyway.

ginocat said:
We stopped selling them about a year ago. I'm glad we did. It hurt a litttle bit in December, but we won't be redeeming them in October this year, so the money will come anyway.
muirford said:
I guess I need to take a stock take on those outstanding, I have them all numbered and everything sorted but I better check them out.
FYI update on our photo weekend - we have two rooms booked for it, which is insufficient really for this event, so I am adding myself to the participants and having some time up in the mountains! (Funny how things work out!) We have it absolutely everywhere that it should be, but have not had a huge interest.
I am mentioning as I put together a diff package and was thinking about selling it as a gift package, but this thread has prevented me. THANKS y'all.
cheers.gif

It depends on how you do them. We only do them to the value ie £65.00 and then if they come at a busy time then they can add it to the value of the stay rather than 1 nights stay cos you can guarantee that they will want to stay at the most expensive time of the year blocking more valuable bookings.

Even with a GC, I alway require a credit card to secure the room. They can present their GC at check in and pay any balance due in cash/check or CC at that time.

Joey Bloggs said:
One of the issues with Gift Certificates is they feel they do not need to give you a credit card as the room is already paid for. They then feel that no rules apply to them.
On the GC's I have a Policies line that GC's are subject to the same policies as all reservations. It is really nice IF they can book the GC online and agree to your policies, but typically they are phone calls.
I just had a lady call to rebook her room for this weekend - tomorrow night! (2 nights). She did not have another date in mind, she just couldn't make it and wanted to reschedule. I suggested she hand it off to someone else who could enjoy the stay.
In the past, year one, I had a guest who would simply reschedule and pop the reservation forward over and over. Me, being the nice new innkeeper wanting everyone to be happy even when they tread all over you - allowed this. We lost bookings due to it. We have policies for a reason, when we bend them it bites us in the butt.
So I stuck to my guns and told her that is all we can do at this late notice.
Yep, that sounds like someone who was given a gift certificate alright. And it's why I really don't like B&B gift certificates at all. The prospective guests just don't have anything invested in the stay and haven't made a decision themselves to honor the policies.
Add to that the increased opportunity for failed expectations and, to me, gift certificates are simply not worth the trouble. IMHO.

Back