Gift Certificate: How would you handle it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned from a very wise innkeeper a long time ago, is it worth the hassle and stress? If you can say YES, then stick to your guns.
I had a terrible week two weeks ago with last minute cancellations and no shows and nobody wanted to pay. (They were third party bookings, a DR through an agency, a guest of our local college and then the couple who called from another state at 4pm). I was determined if it was the last thing I ever did, to get the $ from those people, which I did successfully. But it took much effort. I was not going to let them walk all over me.
But I have had people pull stunts last minute that I was already frazzled and just let it ride away. Saved ME a lot in the end. I wanted it over with and out of my hair..
Lord, let's get these all out of the way TODAY...any cancellations, ignoramus', refunds, GC's...let's just get 'em all over and done with today. I surrender!

these are really just the hassles we have to put up with if we accept GC"s I know its a PITA but ask yourself, how many times do you read the small print or even the large print

I learned from a very wise innkeeper a long time ago, is it worth the hassle and stress? If you can say YES, then stick to your guns.
I had a terrible week two weeks ago with last minute cancellations and no shows and nobody wanted to pay. (They were third party bookings, a DR through an agency, a guest of our local college and then the couple who called from another state at 4pm). I was determined if it was the last thing I ever did, to get the $ from those people, which I did successfully. But it took much effort. I was not going to let them walk all over me.
But I have had people pull stunts last minute that I was already frazzled and just let it ride away. Saved ME a lot in the end. I wanted it over with and out of my hair..
Lord, let's get these all out of the way TODAY...any cancellations, ignoramus', refunds, GC's...let's just get 'em all over and done with today. I surrender!
InnsiderInfo said:
I can sympathize completely. Step back from the cookie abyss...this too will pass...

Ok, they are here. They were the last of four check-ins to arrive. They were fine, a bit stand-offish but we had them warmed up by the end of the check-in. No mention of the GC or the daughter's call. Got them all set with dinner reservations so they are off. Hopefully the rest of the stay will be uneventful.
And since I posted my last I had THREE cancellations and two reservations, and two delightful check-ins. So hopefully that is THAT for the yucky stuff! My lasagna is in the oven and the red wine is open...

these are really just the hassles we have to put up with if we accept GC"s I know its a PITA but ask yourself, how many times do you read the small print or even the large print.
I might be the exception but I read EVERYTHING, usually before booking. I am very detail oriented.

Good for you for following your gut and calling, at least you didn't have to sit and wait hours for him to arrive. What would the $25 charge be for?

You have described the whole "why gift certificates" bring the worst guests scenario. If you donate, then who will get it? You have no control over it whatsoever, and think about when you go to sell - you have these freebies all out there running around with no clue who actually has them, no contact information.
I agree they are handy in the off season as income, but you always dread when they roll in. Esp if they recvd it as a gift as you askf or their credit card to hold the room, they do not get that at all!

Good for you for following your gut and calling, at least you didn't have to sit and wait hours for him to arrive. What would the $25 charge be for?.
You are so right about the call. Who knows what he is thinking. I am glad I am done with him.
I send an e-mail to my guests about a week before they are coming and tell them we have them book in the what ever room on what ever the day for however many days. I tell them they need anything at all they need just let me know. I ask for a read receipt. Everyone e-mails me back and say they will see us then. This makes me have a comfort feeling they are really coming and didn't forget.

You have described the whole "why gift certificates" bring the worst guests scenario. If you donate, then who will get it? You have no control over it whatsoever, and think about when you go to sell - you have these freebies all out there running around with no clue who actually has them, no contact information.
I agree they are handy in the off season as income, but you always dread when they roll in. Esp if they recvd it as a gift as you askf or their credit card to hold the room, they do not get that at all!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I agree they are handy in the off season as income, but you always dread when they roll in. Esp if they recvd it as a gift as you askf or their credit card to hold the room, they do not get that at all!
Yeah, getting that cc is tough on a GC. If they absolutely refuse then I put right in the confirmation that the GC is void if they cancel.

I cannot believe I just had a GC pain last weekend. He won it in a call in for a TV spot we did. I did not want to give a full night stay but that was part of the deal. He called and booked twice but had to cancel. I was really glad because when he did I needed the room both times. So I thought he would book at a time when I was not so busy. He was suppose to come last Saturday with girl friend. At 5 I got an uneasy feeling so I called saying I was checking on which way he would be coming because we had so many roads closed and I thought they might need directions. My ploy to find out when they might be here. I told him who I was and he said I will call you right back. He called 10 minutes later and said he was so sorry he was going to call the day before but didn't get to it. He said he had a bad car accident the day before and didn't have a car so he could not come. He said he did not know what our policy was. I was so mad but I tried to be nice. I said " You just lost your gift certificate. I prepared for you tied up one of my rooms."
Now he e-mailed me and ask if I was going to charge him the $25. I don't even want to answer. I am still mad about it.
For newbies think hard before you give away a full price room for donations. I have been an innkeeper for 8 years and knew better but I did it anyway. It is better to give a $50 GC then they will have to pay something if they really want to come.

When I sell a GC it does not have an expire date - it was paid for. Yes, I have had some come in years later - one that was a wedding gift was lost in a fire (I was told about the fire and the loss before she knew it was my B & B GC when we met at a conference). I do not sell lots of GCs so know who and what with each. Only one still out at this point in time. Heard from her last year but I will not contact her - she must call me now.
All donated GCs do have an expire date - and they want you to extend that too. I have for up to 3 months but will not after that. Write your bad review and tell the world although the expire and extention will definitely be forgotten details. Mine get me through the winter also.

I agree they are handy in the off season as income, but you always dread when they roll in. Esp if they recvd it as a gift as you askf or their credit card to hold the room, they do not get that at all!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yeah, getting that cc is tough on a GC. If they absolutely refuse then I put right in the confirmation that the GC is void if they cancel.
This is good advice for the confirmation!! I will remember that one. I have a donated gift certificate out there for next April for a certain room for a Theatre/room package for a fundraiser silent auction. I have to admit that I said "yes" to it to see how this donated gift certificate goes. I put right on the gift certificate AND in the letter to the charity that the gc recipient must call no later than a certain date to advise the inn of their personal info and cc info to continue to hold the room for that date. The gift certificate expires the day after it is to be used (check-out day). Once I get that info & shoot the gc recipient a confirmation, I will note on the confirmation that the gc will be void if they cancel. Thank you!

I'm with Swirt... you've got to do what eats at you the least.
When in October was the 2007 rez? Are they remotely near a year from their initial cancellation?
=)
Kk..
The initial cancellation was for October 14/15 2007. They are booked tonight and tomorrow night.
If you get any hassle, could you maybe honor 100% of last year's rate, and have them pay the rate increase?
The problem is (and it is MY problem and one I need to deal with), is that if they give me any hassle I will totally cave. I'm just not a fighter (as you've seen, I'm a behind-the-scenes seether instead!)...I can't be confrontational. DH, on the other hand, has no problem with being confrontational. He's out painting the garden shed so he gets to avoid the check-ins today...I should trade him!
I have a feeling there will be no drama...the woman who actually bought and is redeeming the GC understood what the terms were and she agreed to them (and they are in writing in her confirmation)...it's just the phone call upset me today.
I always cave on things like this. Especially on a gift certificate which has been paid for. Even though I've put an expiration date on them...I already know that I'll probably be willing to exten them. Oh, well.....

Ok, they are here. They were the last of four check-ins to arrive. They were fine, a bit stand-offish but we had them warmed up by the end of the check-in. No mention of the GC or the daughter's call. Got them all set with dinner reservations so they are off. Hopefully the rest of the stay will be uneventful.
And since I posted my last I had THREE cancellations and two reservations, and two delightful check-ins. So hopefully that is THAT for the yucky stuff! My lasagna is in the oven and the red wine is open....
Good for you!! I have had NO reservations in a few days
sad_smile.gif

Yup, just another reason to rather donate one of my iloveinns books with the BOGO free night cert ......

FYI, teh regs vary by state as to whether or not gift cards can have an expiry date:
[h3]Can gift certificates have an expiration date or charge service fees?
[/h3]Yes. However, while several states allow retailers to include expiration dates and charge service fees as long as they are conspicuously disclosed to the consumer, other states have enacted laws that prohibit these practices.
States that prohibit retailers to include expiration dates on gift certificates are California, Connecticut, Montana, New Hampshire (unless gift certificate is valued at more than $100), Rhode Island and Washington (except if no money was paid for gift certificate or if it is valid for artistic or cultural organizations and expiration date is disclosed to the user).
For more information you may want to see: http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_financial_services/003889.html
REMEMBER THAT OUTSTANDING (UNUSED) GC'S ARE CONSIDERED A LIABILITY AND TECHNICALLY SHOULD BE SHOWN AS SUCH ON YOUR BOOKS.

is there a state law about gc's where you are?
some don't allow you to enforce an expiration date. seems unfair, but true..
KK might have to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think in Ohio they have to be valid for 2 years from the date of purchase.

KK might have to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think in Ohio they have to be valid for 2 years from the date of purchase.
penelope said:
Gosh. I don't know. I haven't actually sold a GC yet. A colleague gave me a sample of one of hers, but I figured I would figure it out when I actually sold one.
=)
Kk.

penelope said:
And in ME they never expire. 60% of the funds are supposed to be turned over to the state if you do not know who is holding the GC after 4 years have passed and it has not been redeemed. We only have a couple that are approaching the 3 year mark. Most get used within 18 months. If it's 'lost' I will still accept it and the guest signs my copy stating the GC has been used and is now void, should they find their copy in the future. We've only done that once and it worked out fine.

As a customer, I find expiration dates on gift certificates annoying. You get a GC at Christmas, you put it away somewhere, forget about it for a while, life gets busy, etc. And then eventually you remember it and pull it out, and it's expired, and now you feel bad because you wasted your friend's money.
From a business point of view, what's your concern with honoring an expired gift certificate (honest question, not rhetorical)? Is it just that it complicates your accounting, or messes up your cash flow forecasts? My gut instinct on these issues is to be very generous with customers - I believe a happy customer is better in the long run, even if I feel like a doormat for a while. In my field (software) I'm just hoping for positive word-of-mouth; in a B&B setting I would imagine there's an even greater effect, since you have the possibility of repeat guests. Maybe some guests are more hassle than they're worth - that's a personal judgment call, I guess.

Back