Gift Certificate Use

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Last September we donated a Gift Certificate to a local charity. The person who won the GC has booked, cancelled, rebooked and cancelled again three times. Each time was within our cancellation period. I'm getting a bit annoyed. How many time should I let her do this?

That would be sufficient for me! It's a donation, for crying out loud. Tell them it's no longer valid.

For this type of GC, you do not have a cancellation period. They book it and at that point the GC is voided. If they cancel, too bad. It was a donation! Period!

Never. It's a freebie. Book once and that's it. Next time they book (because you haven't said they couldn't) get their cc number and tell them that you will be charging them for the room if they cancel it again.

Our gift certs are for cash amount rather than free night(s). On the bottom of our gift certs we have (in fine print):
Gift certificate number (we use date of issue) and cancellation date. This $xxx gift certificate must be used by adults (18 years or older) and will be applied towards a minimum two night stay. Is subject to availability and policies of the Inn. Not redeemable for cash. Non-transferable (no cancellations or date changes). Call for reserations or bok online Credit card will be required to hold reservation.

if she cancelled within the cancellation period that is it gone. she has continued to ,mess you about because she thinks that it is ok cos you let her before. sounds harsh but you could have sold those other dates and she could have had you stood with an empty room and lost you a lot of money

Tell her if she wants a stay now...she will have to pay. You have gone beyond what is expected. And...learned a lesson. Don't donate GC's any more. It is a waste as far as I am concerned unless it is truly something you want to do. Never brought us any business....just PITAs

PS Another hint, if you donate a GC to charity make it 3 month use-by date, make it midweek only. Put any and all stipulations right on it.

I stopped donating gift certificates years ago....a pain in the hiney!

Agree with others who have said to set an expiry date. I usually have them expire at the end of the year the charity event takes place. I have had guests ask to use them after the expiry (YEARS after) and I politely decline.

I agree with the expiry date, and very decisive restictions. I have refused to do these for the last 6 years. It never, I repeat, NEVER produced any business...Most times the ones that got the GC never attempted to use them either.
I will donate a basket of items if I really want to donate to a cause.

I extended the expiration on a donated gift certificate after hearing a sob story - it was a package with a theatre ticket that was auctioned by a non-profit in our big City 90 minutes away. I'm sure that the theatre venue didn't do the same. They never contacted me again.
Donated another one to a local non-profit (one that I personally am on the Board) and had the purchaser whine about extending the expiration date. Since they were friends, I extended it but at that point we had decided to close so it was extended to our very last day in business. My friends ended up giving it away to a relative for their anniversary who were actually our LAST guests. The guests were very upset that we were closing which made me feel good....and bad. They were the BEST local guests that we had in 2 years.
I spelled everything out on the donated gift certificates and then let people make changes on those 2 occasions. There were several that were never redeemed.
I paid out my purchased gift certificates when we closed, but not the couple that I had given people for minor snafus. They had "NO CASH VALUE" in big print on them!

That would be sufficient for me! It's a donation, for crying out loud. Tell them it's no longer valid..
I tell them the same policy applies to a gift cert as a regular booking. Cancel late and that's too bad. They will just keep doing the same thing. This time when they book, tell them the policy applies in writing and stick to your guns.
RIki

I agree with the expiry date, and very decisive restictions. I have refused to do these for the last 6 years. It never, I repeat, NEVER produced any business...Most times the ones that got the GC never attempted to use them either.
I will donate a basket of items if I really want to donate to a cause..
copperhead would you mind sharing what you put in the basket? I was thining about doing the same thing. Thanks

copperhead would you mind sharing what you put in the basket? I was thining about doing the same thing. Thanks
Last year I made a basket with fresh-roasted coffees, a couple tins of tea, a lovely teapot and cup, and a mix of English Muffin bread with instructions of how much warm water to add, a pint of honey, and a pint of apple butter etc. for the silent auction fundraiser for the lobby group of our industry at the Governor's Conference on Tourism.I had over $125 value in the basket and it brought $30. For other donations I have been giving my imprinted lunch bags with pints of apple butter.
Gov Conference is next month. I need to keep the "doors" open (I am Legislative Chair for my Assoc) so this year I will do 4 roasts of coffees in pint jars labeled with the Country of origin. I will do Kona Blend from Hawaii, Costa Rica, Zimbabwe, and Peru I think. I hope these will be diverse (and exotic) enough to bring more than 50 cents.

Well I have done several different types, sorta depends on who I am donating it to.
You could focus on a spa theme. - salts for the bath, lotions, sea sponge, maybe even a jel eye mask... And things that you find relaxing...
local flavors (whether it be food or flair), If I do food, I will always add a jar of my homemade jam. You could do a breakfast basket with pancake mix (your on blend) homemade bread, and fruit and jams... Or a picnic style one - include plastic dishes...and maybe a bottle of local wine.
Main thing is to find a nice theme, one that compliments your business.
Always include your business brochure and place your business name on anything you made. Some baskets I have included a discount card - save 10% - use yourself or when friends or family come to town. (do add an expiry date to this also, as well as restrictions of use). You may even let them use it toward a purchase of a GC -

Back