Gift Certificates online

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I like to print our own with policies, info etc. Do you use your online system to sell Gift Certificates? If so, are you happy with it?
I would like to make it avail to purchase easily online through Rezkey, but not sure if I want to do this. Your thoughts?
PS I am always a control freak over this issue, mainly because the GC recipients always seem to have issues when redeeming them. So I don't sell many, but think I may try this year...

Can you NOT process through auth.net for gc's? I show it asking for cc details but the page is not secured.

I use ResKey online gift certificates and I love it! You don't have to use auth.net, but you would have to use PayPal which is free to set up your merchant account. I used PayPal for the certificates for a couple years before I switched everything to auth.net. The person buying the certificate doesn't have to have a PP account, they can just do it with whatever credit card they'd like. PayPal sends you an e-mail and you can transfer the funds quickly from your merchant account to your bank account.
On my GC it states that the guest must follow all of our reservation policies. When the guest wants to use the GC they just put the number into ResKey when making their reservation and it shows immediately that the funds are being used in that reservation.
I love not having to print up and mail the certificates. I think I have sold more with this online system than I had previously. I think it's because the person buying it has access to the certificate immediately and can purchase it last minute.

Hi JB. We are selling through ResKey and I think John has fixed the issues we have had. The guests seem to be able to make reservations with it now with out any issues. We have sold a lot of them during the holidays. As much as you blog and use your FB account you would do great with this. Last min gifts are great because they can print them and give them away in a matter of minutes. We also have noticed only about half have sold have been using them. We do have them expire. Its very easy to keep track of them. I would give it a try this Holiday season and see what happens.

I use ResKey online gift certificates and I love it! You don't have to use auth.net, but you would have to use PayPal which is free to set up your merchant account. I used PayPal for the certificates for a couple years before I switched everything to auth.net. The person buying the certificate doesn't have to have a PP account, they can just do it with whatever credit card they'd like. PayPal sends you an e-mail and you can transfer the funds quickly from your merchant account to your bank account.
On my GC it states that the guest must follow all of our reservation policies. When the guest wants to use the GC they just put the number into ResKey when making their reservation and it shows immediately that the funds are being used in that reservation.
I love not having to print up and mail the certificates. I think I have sold more with this online system than I had previously. I think it's because the person buying it has access to the certificate immediately and can purchase it last minute..
Breakfast Diva said:
I love not having to print up and mail the certificates. I think I have sold more with this online system than I had previously. I think it's because the person buying it has access to the certificate immediately and can purchase it last minute.
Paypal? This is odd as I set it up and it all works with them entering the cc number then I go like normal and confirm and then it is done (like I do my normal reservations (I have to run it manually here). Have a look: https://v2.reservationkey.com/p/gc/?i=57&k=507240897
I had to make sure the SECURE httpS was showing, etc
I am messing with it to get it just right... ?

I love not having to print up and mail the certificates. I think I have sold more with this online system than I had previously. I think it's because the person buying it has access to the certificate immediately and can purchase it last minute..
Breakfast Diva said:
Paypal? This is odd as I set it up and it all works with them entering the cc number then I go like normal and confirm and then it is done (like I do my normal reservations (I have to run it manually here). Have a look: https://v2.reservationkey.com/p/gc/?i=57&k=507240897
John may have changed the system since I started. Do you want me to put a dummy one through?
When do they get the certificate link...before or after you manually charge it?

I use the sell gc button on my site. I get informed just like it is a reservation. Then I run the cc and print out the GC like normal.

Breakfast Diva said:
John may have changed the system since I started. Do you want me to put a dummy one through?
Breakfast Diva said:
Supposed to be after. And I get the email and go in and activate it. From the one I did. Okay so I filled it out WITHOUT the cc info and it took it... not sure if anyone would be keen to do that, and it is NOT activated yet...
I just put the code into a rez on the guest side and applied and it said INVALID CODE.
So that is good!

Okay on the dummy gc I activated it and then it said "activated!"
I went in as the guest would and it accepted it, cool! I don't need to use auth.net or any other, I can keep on using square. Great.
I see them in Rezkey under gc's, one says Manually charged, the other two say INCOMPLETE. I will now delete them. Okay, so nothing diff to what I do now for a rez.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Supposed to be after. And I get the email and go in and activate it. From the one I did. Okay so I filled it out WITHOUT the cc info and it took it... not sure if anyone would be keen to do that, and it is NOT activated yet...
I just put the code into a rez on the guest side and applied and it said INVALID CODE.
So that is good!
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
Seems like a bit of a hassle and you might have to do followup with the purchaser. I would just do the PP processing and be done with it. No follow up on your part and they get the cert immediately. But that's just my 2 cents!

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
Seems like a bit of a hassle and you might have to do followup with the purchaser. I would just do the PP processing and be done with it. No follow up on your part and they get the cert immediately. But that's just my 2 cents!
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
AS ALWAYS, you guys know your stuff!
https://v2.reservationkey.com/web/?v=giftcertificates&s=40 gc's

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
So that is good!
AS ALWAYS, you guys know your stuff!
https://v2.reservationkey.com/web/?v=giftcertificates&s=40 gc's
That link took me to MY GC page (owner's page)

I sell a couple GCs a year - but I say send check as I design the GC. This is my creative outlet. I make each one to fit the giver and the givee.

Breakfast Diva said:
You should add that the certificate recipient is required to enter a valid credit card before they make their reservation. It's not charged if they enter the gift code. I like this because you have the opportunity to up sell packages. Most importantly, your butt is covered in case of damages or cancellation fees.

Breakfast Diva said:
You should add that the certificate recipient is required to enter a valid credit card before they make their reservation. It's not charged if they enter the gift code. I like this because you have the opportunity to up sell packages. Most importantly, your butt is covered in case of damages or cancellation fees.
Good point PT. I have had people with GC call me to make their reservation because they didn't want to put their credit card on their ResKey online reservation. They were afraid we would charge their card on top of using their certificate for their deposit. When I tell them it will not if their GC covers the price of the deposit and either they enter into the system or I do, it's the same thing and it's better if they do it because I will never even see their cc# if they do it themselves.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good point PT. I have had people with GC call me to make their reservation because they didn't want to put their credit card on their ResKey online reservation. They were afraid we would charge their card on top of using their certificate for their deposit. When I tell them it will not if their GC covers the price of the deposit and either they enter into the system or I do, it's the same thing and it's better if they do it because I will never even see their cc# if they do it themselves.
Breakfast Diva said:
That is an issue. I face this with any GC's I sell. In fact, sometimes the recipient cannot afford a honeymoon, so a relative purchases it for them, and puts it in their wedding card. They have no cc to give. I am on the fence about this one still. I have never had to produce a cc when I received a cc from anyone. I guess I am hoping they guy a $100 and then put the cc in to reserve to redeem and pay the additional... more thinking to do.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That is an issue. I face this with any GC's I sell. In fact, sometimes the recipient cannot afford a honeymoon, so a relative purchases it for them, and puts it in their wedding card. They have no cc to give. I am on the fence about this one still. I have never had to produce a cc when I received a cc from anyone. I guess I am hoping they guy a $100 and then put the cc in to reserve to redeem and pay the additional... more thinking to do.
We don't usually take a cc when a GC is being used.. I explain the gc will be voided if they fail to show or cancel inside our cancellation period.
Don't know if that makes a difference our not. I think we've only had a couple of cancelations on GC and they've all given us enough notice.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Every hotel you stay at asks for your credit card whether your stay is prepaid or not. I know we're not a hotel, but if they know you have their card, they are less likely to trash anything.
I have had guests call from the road and didn't have a cc but wanted to stay. I told them they would have to put up a $100 cash damage deposit that was returnable when they checked out.
It puts the innkeeper at a disadvantage if we don't have some kind of backup.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Every hotel you stay at asks for your credit card whether your stay is prepaid or not. I know we're not a hotel, but if they know you have their card, they are less likely to trash anything.
I have had guests call from the road and didn't have a cc but wanted to stay. I told them they would have to put up a $100 cash damage deposit that was returnable when they checked out.
Breakfast Diva said:
Not the same thing tho BD. GC are diff. Prepaid, etc is another story.

Back