Gift from Australian guests and isn't there a kiwi amoung us?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i had guests last month who asked if i had egg cups for eating boiled eggs. i didn't ... never had egg cups growing up, did you?
so in the mail with all this postage came a package from australia with 4 brightly painted egg cups ... very funny pictures of people on them. i'll try to get a picture up. very unexpected and so very sweet of the lady to send them. i'm off to the post office to send her a thank you ... not sure of the postage or if i've addressed it properly ...
so i was thinking ... isn't there someone who was once called kiwi? on about?
am i dreaming or ... kiwi, are you out there? by another name?

The egg cups are Dutch as well. I had them growing up (Dutch mother) and still have them in my China cabinet as keepsakes. Had Dutch guests here last year who used them and wanted to know if I used "egg prickers" before boiling eggs. My husband said, "Huh??", but I knew what they were talking about. Used to have them but lost them in a move. They are a small gadget that you place one end of the uncooked egg into and then push up on and a pin goes through the egg shell. When you boil the egg it won't explode or leak egg white out like they do sometimes and it also makes them very easy to peel as well because there is a layer of water inside the shell after they are boiled. You can probably find them in specialty kitchen shops but they sent me one from Holland.

I am South African (well, same hemisphere as NZ).
Generally used for soft boiled eggs, you would place the egg in an egg cup, and slice off the top to expose the runny yellow. Add some salt/pepper, then you dip "toast soldiers" (don't ask me where that came from but it's strips of buttered toast) into the egg.
(I think it was a way for our parents to get us to eat boiled eggs!!)
Nice to use on Easter morning with colored eggs

Generally used for soft boiled eggs, you would place the egg in an egg cup, and slice off the top to expose the runny yellow. Add some salt/pepper, then you dip "toast soldiers" (don't ask me where that came from but it's strips of buttered toast) into the egg.
Nice to use on Easter morning with colored eggs.
Yes, I have a pastel set that I use on Easter morning with Easter eggs.
If you are willing to exercise your inner Martha, you can also use them for individual decorative place card holders or flower arrangements to pretty up the table. Don't look to me for advice - I've never done it.

Nice to use on Easter morning with colored eggs.
"toast soldiers" ... English. My ex-MIL would make them for my girls when they would spend time at her house. One weekend they asked for soldiers I had no idea what they were and had to phone her. She was from good ol' sunny England.

My parents (Mass and N.J.) used them when I was growing up. I didn't like runny yolks when I was young though. I could do Eggs Benne because I loved any kind of sauce and the whites were more cooked..
RIki

JBJ lived in Oz and picked up a DH from there..
gillumhouse said:
JBJ lived in Oz and picked up a DH from there.
Ooooo, do they grow on trees?
That is what I heard in the 60s. Even had immigration papers! Then I read their booklet that said women made less money than men. Figured it would be stupid to go someplace that said up-front I would make less (but figured expenses would be the same) when here it was just a "dirty little secret" and you could at least hope for an equal salary.

Egg cups were standard for most English speaking countries to dip their toast into the soft egg. All of my relatives did it here in America. Many times when you buy a complete dinner set it comes with cups and saucers and egg cups.

Those sound lovely! I have a few egg cups. I would like to have more - I forgot how much I like soft boiled eggs. We used them when I was a kid. They were used most places at breakfast when I went to France several years ago.
We used to have a BrewsterKiwi on the about forum
wink_smile.gif

Ah, well then one must get into the "egg coddler" - a lovely little porcelain cup with a silver screw on lid ..... you butter the cup, throw in an egg and whatever else, close it and toss into a pot of boiling water. Being "down south" I have a feeling the response would be "what the heck is that, and is the cup edible" so I don't use mine.

Back