gift from guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
Many-time-repeat guests checked in today. They brought wine for me and specialty beers for hubby, as usual. They also brought us a laptop.
It's a two-year old mac laptop plus accessories, recently retired from service where guest works, and it's ours now. Wow. I'm stunned. I love my regulars!

That is soooo nice.
We had a couple who booked for three nights. On their first night here, they got a phone call that one of their children was sick (nothing serious).
So they left the following morning. They felt very, very sorry for putting us "in a bad spot".
We told them that we very much understood their predicament.
We received a beautiful, 5 inch high, iron-cast statue of a Saint Bernard. I display it in the living room with their Thank-You note.

wow, that is very nice. We get excited when we receive a handwritten thank you note in the mail!

That is a spectacular gift! I got all choked up when I got a thank you note the other day. I have no idea what I'd do if I received a lap top
wow.gif

I am amazed that so few people even leave a tip for the housekeeper, I know some places have "tip envelopes" in their rooms, personally I feel that it's a bit tacky but welcome any comments on the subject. Heck if it helps keep the housekeepers around ...........

ah yes, I am mostly the housekeeper too (I believe my official title is President of Operations and all other Tasks and Duties
chef.gif
) but I just wondered if anyone does have those little tip envelopes and / or what they think of them.
Funnily enough, the people that do leave me tips are those I least expect it from. Damn, maybe all those cell phone chargers that they leave are really tips??

I am amazed that so few people even leave a tip for the housekeeper, I know some places have "tip envelopes" in their rooms, personally I feel that it's a bit tacky but welcome any comments on the subject. Heck if it helps keep the housekeepers around ............
I am the housekeeper
regular_smile.gif
My dh is the expert at cleaning the giant tubs and pitches in sometimes on the rooms. We might be getting busy enough to justify (afford) some part time help. I have someone lined up.

ah yes, I am mostly the housekeeper too (I believe my official title is President of Operations and all other Tasks and Duties
chef.gif
) but I just wondered if anyone does have those little tip envelopes and / or what they think of them.
Funnily enough, the people that do leave me tips are those I least expect it from. Damn, maybe all those cell phone chargers that they leave are really tips??.
agoodman1963 said:
chef.gif
Funnily enough, the people that do leave me tips are those I least expect it from. Damn, maybe all those cell phone chargers that they leave are really tips??
We just had a thread on this recently, but I don't remember the title.
The gist of the thread was 1) envelopes in rooms if you have housekeeping help, not if you don't. 2) More tips get left when housekeeping is actually present and visible. 3) The ones who need the least cleaning tip the most.
=)
Kk.

chef.gif
Funnily enough, the people that do leave me tips are those I least expect it from. Damn, maybe all those cell phone chargers that they leave are really tips??.
There are some folks here that have tip envelopes that have full-time or regular part-time housekeeping help. Also, some that use the tip line on the credit card slip. My best "tip" was a bottle of Texas vodka that some guests brought with them from where we used to live.
cheers.gif
haha!

I am amazed that so few people even leave a tip for the housekeeper, I know some places have "tip envelopes" in their rooms, personally I feel that it's a bit tacky but welcome any comments on the subject. Heck if it helps keep the housekeepers around ............
Tips and tip envelopes are discussed in some detail on these threads:
https://www.innspiring.com/node/958
https://www.innspiring.com/node/1232 (with an added bonus link to a thread on bandb.com
I have two regular part-time housekeepers, one who's been with the Inn for over 10 years, and we have tip envelopes in the rooms. I employ a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy on their tips so I don't know what they make. On a very good weekend recently, when my weekend help was at a wedding, DH and I turned the rooms ourselves and made over $100 in tips.

Tips and tip envelopes are discussed in some detail on these threads:
https://www.innspiring.com/node/958
https://www.innspiring.com/node/1232 (with an added bonus link to a thread on bandb.com
I have two regular part-time housekeepers, one who's been with the Inn for over 10 years, and we have tip envelopes in the rooms. I employ a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy on their tips so I don't know what they make. On a very good weekend recently, when my weekend help was at a wedding, DH and I turned the rooms ourselves and made over $100 in tips.
Thanks Jeanne!

Back