gift giving guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Our guests showed up with a nice bottle of wine from a local (in state) winery that they had toured and said "here we brought this for you!" then proceeded to tell me about what a great wine it is. I tried as graciously as I could to accept it, asking about their tour etc, and then they asked (after I had accepted it...), "Do you drink wine?" Well we don't really (but I didn't want to offend them) so again, as graciously as I could I told them that 'only on special occassions' So then they said... "oh, you like hard liqour?" OF COURSE NOT..we just don't drink period, So I said "oh, no, not ever" so then they said... "oh, your a beer drinker!" Why couldn't they just stop at the gift giving and let it go at that! No, We are NOT beer drinkers either! It took all the "giving" out of the gift! I just wanted to give it back to them! Then before I could say anything else... they said I could 'regift' it to someone else!
They were a really sweet couple and were good guests, even said they'd be back sometime (so I don't think they were offended by us not being drinkers).
What would you have done?
:)

I agree with Little Blue.... I would have accepted the gift with thanks and a smile. You never know when an inn-mate will visit and you can open that bottle of wine for them. It could happen.... :)

times like that, we just say thank you very much all thw while thinking oooh, a free bottle of wine to put in a guests room as an anniversary surprise, etc. Or, if it is the weekend & we are having afternoon fondue, i open it & say oh do you mind if we share it with the other guests this afternoon?
i think people must be surprised when they come across someone who does not drink at all. around here, wine flows like water it seems. i do not drink with a meal & that surproses alot of people i know. i enjoy drinks before & even then that is seldom.

I just accept the gift and tell them thank you. If they asked if you liked it? You would say, No I haven't opened it. We don't drink wine and are given wine quite often by guests, we appreciate the sentiment! I don't particularly like the gift someone gave me this weekend, but she was thinking of us and bought it.

I agree with Little Blue.... I would have accepted the gift with thanks and a smile. You never know when an inn-mate will visit and you can open that bottle of wine for them. It could happen.... :).
Samster said:
I agree with Little Blue.... I would have accepted the gift with thanks and a smile. You never know when an inn-mate will visit and you can open that bottle of wine for them. It could happen.... :)
I tried to give you some I received from a guest and you turned your nose at it. How was I to know it was cheap swill? ha ha Actually what I did pour you we have had for years that we got in the Hunter Valley of Australia - it had special meaning, was not the cheap Witchita dessert wine I first tried to pawn off.
confused_smile.gif

So regifting wine works...I still have that Witchita here btw.

Just smile and say 'thanks!' Then if the questioning starts you could say, 'We enjoy a nice glass of wine with our favorite dinner.' If they continue on with the alcohol questions you could change the subject!
No need to say that the favorite dinner is a special occasion that will take place a month from now.
They must have gotten a sense that this was not the 'right' gift and were looking for direction on what would have been. That's where the happy, 'thanks!' at the beginning might have shut them up.

When we get a gift of wine, it's usually a red variety and we think "oh good, spaghetti sauce!", but just say thank you, we'll think of your when we enjoy it. They don't have to know it's going into sauce!
chef.gif

Either that, or we'll put it out with the rest of our wines for sale if it's a nice bottle and not too "cheap".

As others have said...take it and say "thank you" that is all that is necessary. They didn't want you to uncork it and take a swig right then and there did they?
cheers.gif

I agree with Little Blue.... I would have accepted the gift with thanks and a smile. You never know when an inn-mate will visit and you can open that bottle of wine for them. It could happen.... :).
Samster said:
I tried to give you some I received from a guest and you turned your nose at it. How was I to know it was cheap swill? ha ha Actually what I did pour you we have had for years that we got in the Hunter Valley of Australia - it had special meaning, was not the cheap Witchita dessert wine I first tried to pawn off.
confused_smile.gif

Yes, and it had special meaning to me too (which is why I mentioned sharing wine with an inn-mate) since it was shared with good friends! :)
Hmmm...did I really turn my nose at the other stuff & not up at it?? tee hee....

You could have stretched the truth by saying "Thank you, I've never had this particular wine before. Is it good?" When they answer in the affirmative just respond "Well, we'll have to save this for a special occasion" Just don't tell them the special occasion is Christmas when you give the wine to someone else.
It's the same BS you give to relatives or friends when you are given a gift of something you already have 6 of or are given something really ugly that you would never be caught dead with. We all have to tell white lies from time to time to spare people's feelings. This is no different.
Next time you're given the 3rd degree about your drinking habits just tell them:
a. I just smoke pot.
b. I'm a recovering alcoholic and just the mere sight of a wine bottle throws me into a frenzy.
c. I only drink wine with a screw top.
d. I can only drink something that has that nifty little umbrella in it.
e. explain to them that your the president of the local chapter of MADD.

Since you said "I tried as graciously as I could to accept it", I have to assume that the guest immediately picked up on your discomfort. The secret is to accept every gift with enthusiasm and genuine thanks, even if it's not something you like. After all, it IS the thought that counts and most guests will give you something that they themselves like. If you have to pretend to be excited in order to confirm their choice, so be it! I always say "Thank you so much, that deserves a hug", give the guest a quick hug and move on to other things (and then, I run right into my living room with a glass of wine!)

Well, since I do like an occasional good glass of wine, I would have said Thnak you, but also would have asked if they would join me for a glass? That is , if they gave me the wine the evening before their departure....
You could pour them a big glass and yourself a tiny one
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif

Regifing does not work all the time...
My aunt gave me a bottle she had for years....when we opened it it was pure Vinegar!!! YUK !!!!
One also has to know how to store it.

I'm from the "never look a gift horse in the mouth" upbringing model and will profess as much gratitude for anything as guest wants to bestow upon us as a sign of thanks for a nice stay.
We get so few material thanks above the verbal, that anything we are given is very much appreciated.

Back