Gift Shop

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Day

Reaction score
Those that offer Inn merchandise for sale.
Other than the display area or display case.....
What about a product sheet that you can leave in the bedroom on a table....product listing, corresponding $....with check boxes for what they would like......and a couple check marks for whether to charge to room, pay seperately and a signature line.
Can also add to this list........to view these items. A display case is located ___________
When fluffing room you can deal with merchandise slip as necessary.....if they order.....you can confirm.....
You can present the merchandise in bags or gift bags and leave in the room.

If you provide a binder in the room........in it would be an ammenities of the property sheet, policies sheet......probably a sheet for local activities, restuarants and phone numbers.....you could include a gift shop order sheet.
These binders would also include a note pad, pen and a couple post cards featuring the establishment.
Seen this alot where I had stayed....
Perhaps to formal for a B&B?

Tres' tacky my friend..
Little Blue said:
Tres' tacky my friend.
Ya think?
I dunno?........convenience. It's all about convenience
I'm going with tres tacky as well.
Unless you are running a resort. If this is a B&B, give a thought to staying at a friend's house and there on the nightstand is a checklist of the things your friend is willing to sell to you. Just check off what you want, it'll be added to your bill and delivered to your room.
Yeah, you'll lose a few sales of merchandise if you have to 'wait' on guests during the day, but the list and check boxes is definitely tres tacky.
I guess maybe you have to figure what is your purpose in running the B&B? Is it to provide restful accommodations for the weary traveler or to make the most bucks the fastest. If you offer spa services, yes, you could list those in the room book with prices and how to make an appt. In that regard, if you had sweatshirts for sale, I suppose you could put those in there, too. But, a tasteful display somewhere the guests pass by all the time would be less in their face than something with checkboxes in the room. It's like a non-stop sales pitch. It's like sitting on the beach in Jamaica and everyone is yelling at you from their surfboards to buy something, mon. NOT restful.

If you provide a binder in the room........in it would be an ammenities of the property sheet, policies sheet......probably a sheet for local activities, restuarants and phone numbers.....you could include a gift shop order sheet.
These binders would also include a note pad, pen and a couple post cards featuring the establishment.
Perhaps to formal for a B&B?.
One Day said:
Perhaps to formal for a B&B?
The binder is not formal and most of us have that. I'd bet there are not many that have a shopping list in it, tho. I think it's the checkboxes that's getting me. Having a note that you have items for sale, as long as it is not an extensive list, would be ok. But not the shopping list.
Then again, I have items for sale and they don't sell. Maybe you'll be a millionaire in no time!

Too pushy. Have items in an an accessible area and if they are interested, they will ask.

IMHO, you would be commercializing and trivializing what is supposed to be a warm and welcoming escape environment.
This is why I have trouble selling branded merchandise. Yes, it will sell and you can possibly sell a lot of it, but if it's money that you need, why not raise your room rates and create added value amenities that enhance the whole B&B experience.

IMHO, you would be commercializing and trivializing what is supposed to be a warm and welcoming escape environment.
This is why I have trouble selling branded merchandise. Yes, it will sell and you can possibly sell a lot of it, but if it's money that you need, why not raise your room rates and create added value amenities that enhance the whole B&B experience..
I once stayed at a B & B where the owner had price tags on literally EVERYTHING..and I do mean EVERYTHING... IT was such a turn off!!!

Thanks for the perspectives.....
I do like the idea of just a sheet or half sheet stating that we do have gift items.....a brief listing....price range from lowest and up......perhaps the convenience shopping / adding to the room thing is a bit much.
I guess if you were a resort type area it would fly......like beach, ski area.

I have had guests tell me the same thing, stayed places where everything was for sale including the bed they slept on! Big turn off. If you have any type of sale pitch your guests will not appreciate it. That includes a price list!

I do like the idea of just a sheet or half sheet stating that we do have gift items.....a brief listing....price range from lowest and up......perhaps the convenience shopping / adding to the room thing is a bit much.
I guess if you were a resort type area it would fly......like beach, ski area..
One Day said:
You need to go stay in some BnB's to get the gist.
One thing some BnB's do that is acceptable selling is have specialized coffee mugs they let the guests use and also buy.
cloth and clay or regular logo's mugs with a line drawing of the Inn.

One Day said:
One thing some BnB's do that is acceptable selling is have specialized coffee mugs they let the guests use and also buy.
Definitely. Try a bunch of different styles, too. Some 'lodge' style ski places, some real Victorian frou frou, some modern, some city, some country. Get a wide perspective.

One Day said:
Definitely. Try a bunch of different styles, too. Some 'lodge' style ski places, some real Victorian frou frou, some modern, some city, some country. Get a wide perspective.
ABSOLUTELY!! If you have never even stayed at a B & B, I can't imagine why you would think you want to own one. Give them a try...alot...before you decide.

One Day said:
ABSOLUTELY!! If you have never even stayed at a B & B, I can't imagine why you would think you want to own one. Give them a try...alot...before you decide.
Fair enough....
regular_smile.gif

A friend of mine had a B&B with beautiful paintings throughout that were painted by a local artist and were for sale. No prices on the paintings, just a note card in the rooms about the artist and letting the guests know that the artwork was for sale. If they were interested in a particular painting the owner kept a price sheet in her office for them to look at. She kept 10% of the sale and made a lot of money. A win-win for her, the artist, and the guests.

A friend of mine had a B&B with beautiful paintings throughout that were painted by a local artist and were for sale. No prices on the paintings, just a note card in the rooms about the artist and letting the guests know that the artwork was for sale. If they were interested in a particular painting the owner kept a price sheet in her office for them to look at. She kept 10% of the sale and made a lot of money. A win-win for her, the artist, and the guests..
I recently stayed at a B&B that was decorated with consignment art by a couple of different artists. It was beautiful and they didn't push it at all. If you were interested in a particular piece, you could ask about it. We also made an offer on a B&B that was also an art gallery with consignment art by several artists. It's a great idea if you're not pushy about it, I think.

A friend of mine had a B&B with beautiful paintings throughout that were painted by a local artist and were for sale. No prices on the paintings, just a note card in the rooms about the artist and letting the guests know that the artwork was for sale. If they were interested in a particular painting the owner kept a price sheet in her office for them to look at. She kept 10% of the sale and made a lot of money. A win-win for her, the artist, and the guests..
I recently stayed at a B&B that was decorated with consignment art by a couple of different artists. It was beautiful and they didn't push it at all. If you were interested in a particular piece, you could ask about it. We also made an offer on a B&B that was also an art gallery with consignment art by several artists. It's a great idea if you're not pushy about it, I think.
Artwork is fine. What I meant was she had price tags on doilies, knic knacs, bedspread etc etc etc.:-(

Artwork is fine. What I meant was she had price tags on doilies, knic knacs, bedspread etc etc etc.:-(
catlady said:
I put cookbooks in the rooms with price tags on them, the old forum suggested I do this, they will have them in hand and flip through them and buy them.
Or in reality - they will collect dust and you have to clean them, you have to move them around the room all the time when guests move them, AND use them as a coaster so they have a water ring, when there is a coaster sitting right beside them. Moral of the story - I didn't like having them in the rooms for sale, it actually embarrassed me.

catlady said:
I put cookbooks in the rooms with price tags on them, the old forum suggested I do this, they will have them in hand and flip through them and buy them.
Or in reality - they will collect dust and you have to clean them, you have to move them around the room all the time when guests move them, AND use them as a coaster so they have a water ring, when there is a coaster sitting right beside them. Moral of the story - I didn't like having them in the rooms for sale, it actually embarrassed me.
I had the cookbooks in our living room sitting out where everyone could see them....near the check out area...I sold loads of them:)
I would be leary about putting them in rooms...because of the wear and tear that would happen.

Back