Gift Shop

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blenderboy

Reaction score
I am interested in knowing how many BB keepers have their own gift shop or sell their own items.
I'm not refering to a full all blown shops that is a business in itself, just one that sells some stuff, maybe convenience items for guests ( toothbrush, books, deordorant )
I am trying to figure out if it is worth the trouble.
What do You sell in your gift shop ?

For what it's worth, I like those little inn gift nooks or shops esp,. if they're filled with unique items and esp. postcards and inn logo stationery. Film or disposable cameras for those who still use them. Mugs, soap...anything with the inn's logo.
A book from local authors or B&B themed books (hint, hint) lol Asst. of giftcards to the property or resturants.

I don't sell 'convenience' items, I give them away. Around here a gift shop nook hasn't worked.

We would also not sell convenience items. If I have it on hand and a guests requests it (like a forgotten toothbrush), I will give it to them. (Honestly, that's pretty much because the closest store is 15 miles away. Once we get the grocery store....whevever that happens, I'll keep less on hand.)
Eventually, I would like to offer unique local items for sale, but right now, it would be a bit much to take on yet.
The previous owner told me he'd bought a bunch of t-shirts imprinted with the name of the place at the time. Guests didn't buy them (which didn't really surprise me), but locals did. Kinda funny.

For what it's worth, I like those little inn gift nooks or shops esp,. if they're filled with unique items and esp. postcards and inn logo stationery. Film or disposable cameras for those who still use them. Mugs, soap...anything with the inn's logo.
A book from local authors or B&B themed books (hint, hint) lol Asst. of giftcards to the property or resturants..
We have locally made jewelry which we also incorporate as part of a package. We also have vinotherapy products (sauvignon blanc shampoo, chardonnay creme rinse, cabernet sauvignon lotion) since we are in wine country. Once we put on the other wing I plan to have more artwork and woodwork from local artists. It's worth it to me to support local industry.
For two rooms, we do pretty well.
Riki

I don't sell 'convenience' items, I give them away. Around here a gift shop nook hasn't worked..
I too give away convenience items and try to provide "stuff" that people might have forgotten. While this isn't true all the time, I usually end up with more than I give out.

We would also not sell convenience items. If I have it on hand and a guests requests it (like a forgotten toothbrush), I will give it to them. (Honestly, that's pretty much because the closest store is 15 miles away. Once we get the grocery store....whevever that happens, I'll keep less on hand.)
Eventually, I would like to offer unique local items for sale, but right now, it would be a bit much to take on yet.
The previous owner told me he'd bought a bunch of t-shirts imprinted with the name of the place at the time. Guests didn't buy them (which didn't really surprise me), but locals did. Kinda funny..
I had my bathrobes imprinted with the B&B name. They payed for themselves in the first season and I'm now so short I need to order a whole bunch more. Given the name of my B&B I should really think about creating some more branded items. I think they would sell.

I have local things for sale. I would not sell convenience items - guests would resent having to pay for what hotels - at least used to - give away.
Guests are interested in local items - not China, Indonesia, India (unless perhaps your inn is located there in which it would be local or themed as Touch of Ireland which would be expected to have Irish items.

The previous owner told me he'd bought a bunch of t-shirts imprinted with the name of the place at the time. Guests didn't buy them (which didn't really surprise me), but locals did. Kinda funny..
I had my bathrobes imprinted with the B&B name. They payed for themselves in the first season and I'm now so short I need to order a whole bunch more. Given the name of my B&B I should really think about creating some more branded items. I think they would sell.
UKMaineiac said:
Given the name of my B&B I should really think about creating some more branded items. I think they would sell.
Yep, I think they'd sell really well.

Back