gifts from guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domsmom

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should be a new topic or a reply to Tipsy's guest conversions...
I had a guest over the weekend who had not stayed at a b&b before. She obviously had a nice stay. She visited a local winery and brought me back a bottle of wine.
In addition, I have received bouquets of flowers, chocolates, souvenir butter dishes and other items from guests, who are not repeats by the way. I was wondering if you all receive these kind gifts from guests and do you send Thank you cards after they have left or is an oral Thank You sufficient?
It feels very successful to have a new b&b er stay and realize that if she had been at a local hotel, she would not have delivered a bottle of wine to the manager or front desk person or the person who cleans her room. My joy in what I do is the relationship building.

We had our share of gifts from guests as well. A simple thank you, it is appreciated...when they give it to you is enough in my opinion. But if you feel strongly about sending a thank you...go for it. Thank you's never hurt. And many people do appreciate them.

cheers.gif

After accommodating beyond the norm this weekend, DH just asked me if they left a gratuity or anything, a note perhaps? Nada. I have found it is the least expected that do this, those who we go above and beyond for never seem to acknowledge it in any way. So for that I am always pleasantly surprised if they do, as those you bend over backwards for just take.
This was why on the other thread about add-ons and getting something not on your romantic add on list makes me consider NOT doing it for this guest, for them to ask and be so specific almost always means nothing extra is gained by it. Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping I guess.
Well done Allnations!
In reply to your question, imo, any gift given deserves a thank you card.

We had our share of gifts from guests as well. A simple thank you, it is appreciated...when they give it to you is enough in my opinion. But if you feel strongly about sending a thank you...go for it. Thank you's never hurt. And many people do appreciate them..
I agree with CL
Congratulations to you. All the gifts you are receiving means that you're doing a job well done and making a difference. GOOD JOB!

cheers.gif

After accommodating beyond the norm this weekend, DH just asked me if they left a gratuity or anything, a note perhaps? Nada. I have found it is the least expected that do this, those who we go above and beyond for never seem to acknowledge it in any way. So for that I am always pleasantly surprised if they do, as those you bend over backwards for just take.
This was why on the other thread about add-ons and getting something not on your romantic add on list makes me consider NOT doing it for this guest, for them to ask and be so specific almost always means nothing extra is gained by it. Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping I guess.
Well done Allnations!
In reply to your question, imo, any gift given deserves a thank you card..
Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif

Well done Allnations!
In reply to your question, imo, any gift given deserves a thank you card.
Uh oh, about to herd cats alert!!! I agree with JBs statement here which is why it's so important to add additional $$ to any special add ons to make it worth your time and effort! (sorry, didn't know to post here or on the other thread)

AllNations do you have guests mostly from out of state or instate? I ask as the author who stayed with us said your state is his all time favorite state for book signings, the people are super genuine there and he loves to go there, he has a wonderful reception moreso in your state than most others! (Just thought I would mention that if I forgot to)
In case you want to do a book signing or event at your B&B. Same for innkeep. :)

AllNations do you have guests mostly from out of state or instate? I ask as the author who stayed with us said your state is his all time favorite state for book signings, the people are super genuine there and he loves to go there, he has a wonderful reception moreso in your state than most others! (Just thought I would mention that if I forgot to)
In case you want to do a book signing or event at your B&B. Same for innkeep. :).
I have not done the complete stats but more than half of my guests are from out of state. The bouquet last week came from a guy from CT, the wine a lady in IN, the chocolates were brought with the guest from Belgium and the butter dish from PEI Canada. No pattern that I can see.
How would I set up book signings?
Could I do a package-maybe provide a free night for the author and people who stay that weekend get to have breakfast with the author? Would that be doable?

We don't get a lot of gifties from guests but we always appreciate them when we do. I do not send any thank you cards unless something arrives out of the blue in the mail. Then I will do it to let the guest know it arrived. Otherwise, if someone hands me something, I thank them then and there and let it go.

Tipsy is the all-time champ for receiving gifts from guests.
Allnations, congrats of receiving the gift. It DOES say a lot when a guest cares enough to get you a gift. Keep up the good work!

In case you want to do a book signing or event at your B&B. Same for innkeep. :).
I have not done the complete stats but more than half of my guests are from out of state. The bouquet last week came from a guy from CT, the wine a lady in IN, the chocolates were brought with the guest from Belgium and the butter dish from PEI Canada. No pattern that I can see.
Could I do a package-maybe provide a free night for the author and people who stay that weekend get to have breakfast with the author? Would that be doable?
allnationsbnb said:
I have not done any here yet, but it is always on the back of my mind. Since I love to read.
What I planned on doing was a book signing and it would be open to the public - like an afternoon tea type event, generally the ones I would invite would be a book club (and typically the author has a list or their publisher of the book clubs who read their book(s) as a group. A meet and greet with a or several authors, or presentation. Recently there was an author in the area who wrote an animal tale and they had this fundraiser event with her there at the humane society, which was cool!
Having an author and his wife or vice versa stay for free is nice too. I am always concerned with their privacy however, so I know they travel more anon. This author was sad they (the library and book club) didn't publicize our place, and I said, I believe it was related to privacy issues.
Another connection is to contact the library, most bring authors in regularly, or part of the circuit for new book releases. :) Or your newspaper or big city paper nearby who have a "Back Cover" blog or section. They also hold author workshops.
If anyone on the forum has done any, would you care to share your method and outcome?

Allnations, congrats of receiving the gift. It DOES say a lot when a guest cares enough to get you a gift. Keep up the good work!.
I have been so very very lucky with my guests. I think people want to leave something of themselves behind and add to my eclectic quirkiness. Without doubt, the most precious gifts are the ones that have been hunted out and have specific reference to something we've talked about and some of my absolute favorites have been completely anonymous.

Allnations, congrats of receiving the gift. It DOES say a lot when a guest cares enough to get you a gift. Keep up the good work!.
I have been so very very lucky with my guests. I think people want to leave something of themselves behind and add to my eclectic quirkiness. Without doubt, the most precious gifts are the ones that have been hunted out and have specific reference to something we've talked about and some of my absolute favorites have been completely anonymous.
The Tipsy Butler said:
Tipsy you are an innspiration when it comes to your electric eclectic-ism. You light up a room and the forum. Just thought I would mention that if I haven't before. I can imagine guests love to bring you surprise gifts. Thoughtful guests are the best, makes it worth getting up every morning.
cheers.gif

The Tipsy Butler said:
Tipsy you are an innspiration when it comes to your electric eclectic-ism. You light up a room and the forum. Just thought I would mention that if I haven't before. I can imagine guests love to bring you surprise gifts. Thoughtful guests are the best, makes it worth getting up every morning.
cheers.gif

Thanks JB.
heart.gif
. I always feel as if I'm playing catch-up and I always like to hear a guest laugh.

it depends for example we have a group of regulars who come every march for the nursary equipment fair and have 5 rooms for a week. They sent my mum flowers after they left as they had wanted to get some during their stay but didn't have time. I sent a quick email to say thank you and that mum was really happy etc. It also gave me chance to see if they were comming for the new nursary fair in october. If it was a gift that was sent in the post if I had a return address I would send a card so they know we have it. If it is a gift that is given while they are there then I think a thank you is enough. Another gift we had was one of our guests made a miniture of the B&B as a gift it is super cool.

My mother raised me to always write a thank-you note. :) I always sent a note to guests thanking them for their generosity. After all, they pay us to stay with us, they are not our friends who are staying as house guests!

We had a guest stay with us last week who is an employee of Fairmont Hotels. She told us to email her if we are ever going to stay at a Fairmont Hotel and she could get us a deal. Well I took her up on it and emailed her today. We are all set to stay this weekend which is Canadian Thanksgiving, at the Banff Springs Hotel (includes breakfast) for $189 per night and that is quite a savings.
I guess this is our tip.
She herself can stay at any Fairmont Hotel for a mere $69 per night. This also totally shocked me.
Sounds like a great job to have.

We had a guest stay with us last week who is an employee of Fairmont Hotels. She told us to email her if we are ever going to stay at a Fairmont Hotel and she could get us a deal. Well I took her up on it and emailed her today. We are all set to stay this weekend which is Canadian Thanksgiving, at the Banff Springs Hotel (includes breakfast) for $189 per night and that is quite a savings.
I guess this is our tip.
She herself can stay at any Fairmont Hotel for a mere $69 per night. This also totally shocked me.
Sounds like a great job to have..
[

I guess this is our tip.
Sounds like a great job to have..
[

Gifts, you say? Well, this week...4 plastic hangers, 3 AAA maps of local or nearby areas/states and 4 AAA tour books, two pair of underwear (one male, one female - different rooms/days), a 1/2 bottle of wine, 2 warm bottles of beer, and a $20 bill!

Back