Gilcrhist & Soames Amenity Kits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domsmom

Reaction score
I just received my Gilchrist & Soames samples. They came in nice little amenity bags. Looking at the price list and knowing I don't need 100 of an item for the coming 6 months (winter is my slow season), my immediate thought was "this is nice, but no". Then I realized that, as they can include a dental kit, shaving kit or sewing kit, it may be a great add on that people can purchase prior to arrival or upon arrival. I tend to give away the store, I don't charge for extra people or when I pick up theatre tickets for a guest I charge them face value, I make to go bags for guests who have really early flights, etc., etc. My question, what would be a fair mark up for a kit containing shampoo, conditioner, lotion, dental kit, shaving kit and soap? The preassembled kit is $9.00. I do have soap, shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms in dispensers. This would be for the guest who wants a little extra or had their toothpaste conviscated at airport security (has happened to me), or who simply wants to know they don't need to worry about packing the toiletries. I have several guests a month ask where the nearest pharmacy is to buy a toothbrush or razor.
Curious of your opinion on this. Thanks.

SOrry to say, but most folks expect these amenities to be provided if they have forgotten theirs...at the places they stay. Hotels will give them to them free and so did we. I don't think I would bother doing this as a money maker. And, most people travel with these kinds of things already unless they are totally out of it.

So if you have dispenser why did you order the samples?
There was a lodge who had these out for sale after TRYING/USING them there.

As it turns out they have gallon portions that can be put in my dispenser.

SOrry to say, but most folks expect these amenities to be provided if they have forgotten theirs...at the places they stay. Hotels will give them to them free and so did we. I don't think I would bother doing this as a money maker. And, most people travel with these kinds of things already unless they are totally out of it..
I agree...I personally would not ask an innkeeper to replace something I forgot (unless it was an emergency situation), but if I did, I wouldn't expect to pay for it. I think it would be an uncomfortable conversation for the guest and you.

We have a basket with toothpaste and brushes, combs, razors, little shaving creams, tampons, deodorants, hairspray/gel, etc that guests can take when needed...no charge.

we have a section in our guest info if you have forgotten anything we have these things for sale in house etc these are the things we sell and a list with prices next to them just ask at reception etc. but we have a big 24 hour asda so it is rare we are asked for anything.

So if you have dispenser why did you order the samples?
There was a lodge who had these out for sale after TRYING/USING them there..
I wanted to test out the samples before ordering the gallons for the dispensers. Nothing like getting something that makes Gomez & I sneeze like crazy & pay beaucoup bucks for it.

we have a section in our guest info if you have forgotten anything we have these things for sale in house etc these are the things we sell and a list with prices next to them just ask at reception etc. but we have a big 24 hour asda so it is rare we are asked for anything..
I think that is what I need, a guest info sheet and a list of items we can sell.
Thanks for the idea.
I have read about people "borrowing" expensive mugs, taking more than their share of breakfast cereals and such. Having the basket with amenities may become an expensive added expense. But having a few items on hand for sale might just be the solution.

I had those "extra" amenities here for guests for FREE. Maybe 2 people in 2 years took a bunch of stuff. I used to have travel toothbrushes, toothpaste, and mouthwash in the guest bathrooms. I took out the toothbrushes because I noticed that folks just took them even if they brought one! Moved them to the amentities baskets in the guest service areas where I also had spare combs, small hairspray, hair gel, etc. - things that I picked up at the Dollar Store. People did not abuse these things but appreciated them. I also kept a couple of brushes and some other more costly items tucked away. They came in handy for people that either forgot them or their luggage was missing temporarily. It's a nice amenity that sets us apart from hotels.

For smaller quantities, have you tried Big Order Savings? I ordered several things from them and was always pleased. Smaller quantities, nice quality, and good prices.

For smaller quantities, have you tried Big Order Savings? I ordered several things from them and was always pleased. Smaller quantities, nice quality, and good prices..
Never heard of Big Order Savings. Thank you, I will look into it!

I also use Out of Eden B&B Guest house supplies they do things like rasor kits, travel tooth brushes, shoe shine kits etc and you can order low quantities but I don't know what the postage would be to USA but they are a nice friendly family run company and the customer service is excellent.

For smaller quantities, have you tried Big Order Savings? I ordered several things from them and was always pleased. Smaller quantities, nice quality, and good prices..
www.bigordersavings.com. I also used them for other things that I didn't want to get a gazillion of - like mouthwash.

www.bigordersavings.com. I also used them for other things that I didn't want to get a gazillion of - like mouthwash.
Samster said:
Amazingly enough I just got an email from this place and they have some good deals on oddball stuff. Less than $5 for 50 vanity kits (q-tips, cotton balls & emery board). I am ALWAYS forgetting these things when I travel. I have to check shipping but I might just try this out.
OK, that's the catch...$12 to ship an item that is less than $5 and consists of cotton balls & swabs, so not exactly heavy.

Have you considered splitting an order with another B&B? I used to do that with another B&B several towns away before she closed. It was a win-win for both of us. We did it for large quantities of food items too.

I tried to do this as the minimum order for shower caps was 100 (I use them very rarely) and all I got was people telling me where to order (which I already knew) just gave up in the end and ordered 100.

Back