Girlfriend Getaways

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Does anyone do girlfriend getaways? What have your experiences been? Do you have them take all your rooms? How do you market them?
My gf came with her friend, just the two of them, but at one point we were talking about bringing a crowd. As long as they had the whole house I wouldn't mind the "whole house herd mentality," and I think it would be fun to host these.
=)
Kk.

We haven't had more than 3 rooms at a time for something like this. There was a town-wide GF getaway but we didn't see any traffic from it. I was supposed to go with my GF's last week but one of them had so much going wrong all at the same time that we postponed it.
What I would do...make it fun. Have movies, popcorn, etc, whatever you can offer. Can you offer wine & cheese? Do it. Have someone come in to do massages or make overs. (I had an addon for that which has gotten me several phone calls and emails all asking me what colors would look best on them? Hmmmm, come to the make over and find out!)
Have late night snacks, late breakfast, late check out. I know that disposable cameras are sort of old now with cellphones and digital, but you might think about that.
We did have one whole house booking that ended up being 3 rooms by the time they canceled the last room as they walked in the door, so get a deposit. And they have to take all the rooms, even if someone cancels, they still have to take all the rooms.
I ended up rebooking all the rooms my group canceled, but it was tough because they still had the idea in their heads they had the whole house. They spread out all over the living room, incessantly used the kitchen in spite of numerous warnings to keep out, etc. All in all, not welcome. They never returned even tho this had been a yearly get together.

yes, they have to take the whole house unless you have more than one common area because they tend to take it over. and i found that 'the girls' really like roaming the halls in pj's and robes, going from room to room. this works out so much better if all your guests are in on the fun.
i had three sisters who each booked a room. they were fun and nice but they did use the library as their own space.
i had a family reunion here. all rooms ... it was like being grandma (or aunt?) to a houseful of guests. two little cousins were given a bath together in the third floor bathroom complete with bubbles and rubber duckies. they all crammed into the library to watch a movie ... i smelled popcorn for hours after that.

YellowSocks said:
Does anyone do girlfriend getaways? What have your experiences been? Do you have them take all your rooms? How do you market them?
My gf came with her friend, just the two of them, but at one point we were talking about bringing a crowd. As long as they had the whole house I wouldn't mind the "whole house herd mentality," and I think it would be fun to host these.
=)
Kk.
I post a girlfriends getaway package on my website. The package itself doesn't get a lot of bookings, but I get a fair number of girlfriends coming for a getaway and they bring their own package, so to speak.
I have two different groups who come annually for their GG. In both cases, they book all the rooms and have dinners here as well. When I say they bring their own package, they bring the food and activities they want to do, such as:
  • crafts
  • pictionary or other board games (we have a bunch here too)
  • guitars and sheet music (we provide the bonfire)
  • magazines
  • old photo albums
  • snacking food to get them from b'fast to dinner and back again
  • wine. lots and lots and lots of wine. by the case. but they always share
    regular_smile.gif
I also get women coming in smaller groups, 2-4 friends just enjoying a weekend away from the hubby and kids. They're no different than any other guests when it's just two or a few. No herd mentality.
The big group weekends are a lot of work but a lot of fun. We've had lovely gifts from our GG guests, maybe because women who have spent the last 20 years raising families and caring for others truly appreciate when others take care of them (not knocking guys here, but I've only had one guy-friends getaway).
As for marketing, put together any kind of GG package and get it up on your website. Even if the girlfriends out there don't want your package specifically, it lets them know they're welcome at your B&B and should land you some hits on the search engines.

We have had several all rooms taken by sisters or friends and love it. DH loves to hear them calling to each other from the rooms as the radios blast - just like when they were growing up together. there is so much laughter and just plain fun.
Last year I had 2 sisters "meet in the middle". The one who made the reservation lost her husband 3 years earlier and the sister was a nurse. Money was a factor and they had not seen each other for a long time. I did not have a room with 2 beds but I did have 2 rooms that share a bath and since it was off-season, gave them both for the price of one per night for 2-nights. It was wonderful and a wonderful experience. Friday I have a deja vu all over again. Different States but the reserver's husband died in August and sis is a nurse. This time I am giving the two rooms for the price of the room with the private bath oer night for the 2 nights.

We only have one be per room, which for the whole-house-herd thing doesn't work, they want to pack 4 to a room to make it economical.
I have encouraged couples retreats, have not had any taker's yet. I have sent out stuff to local churches and those who have stayed here have taken info to give to their friends to do a couples retreat. Not happened so far.
I have a Spa on the corner and would like to get the ladies here for a B&B/Spa day.

We only have one be per room, which for the whole-house-herd thing doesn't work, they want to pack 4 to a room to make it economical.
I have encouraged couples retreats, have not had any taker's yet. I have sent out stuff to local churches and those who have stayed here have taken info to give to their friends to do a couples retreat. Not happened so far.
I have a Spa on the corner and would like to get the ladies here for a B&B/Spa day..
We also have just one bed per room, but that doesn't stop a lot of women. Many of them would take two beds if we had them, but don't mind sharing a queen size bed if that's what there is.
It's often not about being economical, but rather about fitting more people in on the weekend and/or about having a 'slumber party'. They're women who have been friends for decades and are just happy to be away.
And, yes, these are girl friends, not romantic couples (although we get those too).
We had one couple's retreat weekend. The retreat was run by a couple who own a cottage nearby. The attendees were couples from their church. Five couples stayed here and two couples stayed at the cottage with the facilitators. We also catered lunch and dinner for everybody. Yikes, but that was a lot of work.
A B&B is good venue for that kind of thing. The right mix of personal space and group gathering spots. And a home atmosphere.

I have a Spa on the corner and would like to get the ladies here for a B&B/Spa day..
We also have just one bed per room, but that doesn't stop a lot of women. Many of them would take two beds if we had them, but don't mind sharing a queen size bed if that's what there is.
It's often not about being economical, but rather about fitting more people in on the weekend and/or about having a 'slumber party'. They're women who have been friends for decades and are just happy to be away.
And, yes, these are girl friends, not romantic couples (although we get those too).
We had one couple's retreat weekend. The retreat was run by a couple who own a cottage nearby. The attendees were couples from their church. Five couples stayed here and two couples stayed at the cottage with the facilitators. We also catered lunch and dinner for everybody. Yikes, but that was a lot of work.
A B&B is good venue for that kind of thing. The right mix of personal space and group gathering spots. And a home atmosphere.
happyjacks said:
All of them I had been invited too were making it so "everyone" could afford it. So 4 to a room was the drill and bring "your own casserole to share cuz the place will let us use their kitchen!" Sorry, but for me that was not my idea of fun, crammed into some bed with someone and having to cart a casserole. The intentions were good. I guess I am a slumper party pooper.
The couples retreat still is a good one, I wish more people will get onto that one! I had organized a few (in fact one person here whose hubby took the photos for this place - knows of Manresa Castle in Port Townsend) I planned one there then ended up having surgery and they all went without me. The beauty of that place was the provided breakfast - so that was great, and you could have dinner there is you chose (for the price) or you could sneak out and go to Subway. They had a room which used to be where the monks did their chants and prayers that is now a meeting room which we got to use for free.

happyjacks said:
All of them I had been invited too were making it so "everyone" could afford it. So 4 to a room was the drill and bring "your own casserole to share cuz the place will let us use their kitchen!" Sorry, but for me that was not my idea of fun, crammed into some bed with someone and having to cart a casserole. The intentions were good. I guess I am a slumper party pooper.
The couples retreat still is a good one, I wish more people will get onto that one! I had organized a few (in fact one person here whose hubby took the photos for this place - knows of Manresa Castle in Port Townsend) I planned one there then ended up having surgery and they all went without me. The beauty of that place was the provided breakfast - so that was great, and you could have dinner there is you chose (for the price) or you could sneak out and go to Subway. They had a room which used to be where the monks did their chants and prayers that is now a meeting room which we got to use for free.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
No, you're not a 'slumper' party pooper, at least not when you have your own bed in your own room and there's wine involved...
wink_smile.gif

Back