Give me strength

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Today's guest just rang bell. Wants to check-in now. I've had 9 phone calls from him, 2 reservation changes and assorted 'issues'. I say rooms are not ready, they are not, one room is still showering (BIL, so I'm not knocking on the door, I know they're leaving). Guest wants to know if the other 2 rooms have shown up yet? I tell him, 'I hope they don't arrive until check-in at 3 PM as no one will be here.' Wife looks at watch and says, '4 hours, I guess we have to go eat lunch and find something to do.'
Good grief. I have emailed the confirmations to him 4 times already, discussed everything with him on the phone, including multiple times that there is NO kitchen access. (We just put a guest micro out in the hopes it at least slows him down from entering the kitchen. We WILL be locking all cabinets today.)

Our reservations are starting to slow down here. (If that makes you feel any better....!) This weekend will be busy, but we're still looking to fill weekends after that.
Riki

Sunday I had 2 nights, just got a one-night this morning. All three were same-day out of the blue. This is the time of year for a slow-down for me. I expect it and tag it to nothing other than the time of year.

UH oh...I bet we will be hearing more from you!!!
pita.gif

Bree, I am just wondering if you ever have a "good" guest season? It always seems like to doozies come to your place. How do you do it??!!
pita.gif
The summer and fall are crazy for you. Now, your slowing down season seems to be taking on your high season qualities. Why are you not sitting in a corner in the fetal position sucking your thumb saying "Enough already. I can't take it anymore!"?
You are amazing

Bree, I am just wondering if you ever have a "good" guest season? It always seems like to doozies come to your place. How do you do it??!!
pita.gif
The summer and fall are crazy for you. Now, your slowing down season seems to be taking on your high season qualities. Why are you not sitting in a corner in the fetal position sucking your thumb saying "Enough already. I can't take it anymore!"?
You are amazing.
The fall season was actually pretty bad this year. But this week has been like a fall week, even the temps are warm, I have the windows open.

pita.gif
You are amazing.
"Why are you not sitting in a corner in the fetal position sucking your thumb saying "Enough already. I can't take it anymore!"?"
BTW- I don't talk about the good guests, no one does. (Unless they are something special.) It SEEMS worse than it is. AND, you've never met my son...

Still holding out on letting them check in early...2 more rooms from this party have arrived. I know some say to let the guests in when they arrive, but I feel I need to make sure they ALL get the 'rules' before I'm spending the next few days chasing the guests down.
Cabinets are locked, sign is out, I'm loaded with chocolate. I'm ready.
And if they all come back at the same time, I will be sure to let all of them know that the person who booked the rooms was told all of this in advance...no kitchen, the living room is for ALL the guests, etc.
Yeah, look at that...they're back AGAIN. Even tho I told them no one would be home.
Edited to say there was another random person at the door at the same time. She wanted a room for 3 nights and a discount. Now, if I tell her SHE can have a discount, here's the 3 rooms checking in who are also going to want a discount. Arrrrrrrrgh. Why don't they just follow the stupid directions!!!!

Still holding out on letting them check in early...2 more rooms from this party have arrived. I know some say to let the guests in when they arrive, but I feel I need to make sure they ALL get the 'rules' before I'm spending the next few days chasing the guests down.
And if they all come back at the same time, I will be sure to let all of them know that the person who booked the rooms was told all of this in advance...no kitchen, the living room is for ALL the guests, etc.
Yeah, look at that...they're back AGAIN. Even tho I told them no one would be home.
Edited to say there was another random person at the door at the same time. She wanted a room for 3 nights and a discount. Now, if I tell her SHE can have a discount, here's the 3 rooms checking in who are also going to want a discount. Arrrrrrrrgh. Why don't they just follow the stupid directions!!!!.
NO discounts...send her packing!!!! Do you really need that grief??

Edited to say there was another random person at the door at the same time. She wanted a room for 3 nights and a discount. Now, if I tell her SHE can have a discount, here's the 3 rooms checking in who are also going to want a discount. Arrrrrrrrgh. Why don't they just follow the stupid directions!!!!.
catlady said:
I would have discounted this one, if the other guests hadn't been standing there...3 nights, she's a new grandma, she's trying to be 'close, but not in the house' for her daughter. I may just walk up the street and knock on the daughter's house and explain I couldn't discount in front of the other guests...

'Herding cats'. That's what it's been like here today. First guests checked in and then whenever the next room checked in they came over and talked to them the whole time we were trying to explain things. One woman just would NOT stand still for a minute...where's the room, where's the fridge, where's this, where's that.
They have completely filled the guest fridge.

Bree, calm down and deal with it. That's what I would do. I know some guests can get us wound up, but you just have to take a deep breath.
When serious things happen in our lives, these petty things seem like nothing.
Just take a deep breath, like I said. Don't let little things like this bother you.

'Herding cats'. That's what it's been like here today. First guests checked in and then whenever the next room checked in they came over and talked to them the whole time we were trying to explain things. One woman just would NOT stand still for a minute...where's the room, where's the fridge, where's this, where's that.
They have completely filled the guest fridge..
Sorry you had a bad day...hope today is better. I had the super chatty guests today with a full house. They seemed to catch me at every turn. lol! Yeesch...that can slow you down which is why I'm just now headed to bed. They are really nice folks though...just like to talk!

Update...we JUST put the micro out for these folks...they burned up a cookie by putting it on a piece of plastic (saran wrap maybe) and hitting 'popcorn'. When I went to turn the lights off last night I could smell it. They offered all kinds of suggestions for getting the smell out. Basically I said, 'It'll be gone in the morning,' and I went to bed and left them there smelling it.
Electric kettle? One woman standing there looking at it. I said, 'Push the button down and it will boil the water.' She said, 'I did that, it turned off, what do I do now?'
Herding cats...it's time for breakfast. I have pulled 2 tables together for them...they are all crowded around the one other table that I need for the other rooms...

Update...we JUST put the micro out for these folks...they burned up a cookie by putting it on a piece of plastic (saran wrap maybe) and hitting 'popcorn'. When I went to turn the lights off last night I could smell it. They offered all kinds of suggestions for getting the smell out. Basically I said, 'It'll be gone in the morning,' and I went to bed and left them there smelling it.
Electric kettle? One woman standing there looking at it. I said, 'Push the button down and it will boil the water.' She said, 'I did that, it turned off, what do I do now?'
Herding cats...it's time for breakfast. I have pulled 2 tables together for them...they are all crowded around the one other table that I need for the other rooms....
My full house all turned out to be delightful folks. Although I did have to recuse myself from any post-election conversations and had to bail out another guest.
regular_smile.gif
My boss gave me a 45 minute lunch break...now I have to get back to work!!
sad_smile.gif

Back