give us a really good package deal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
Received an inquiry and had a good laugh
It was a request for 10 adults + 10 children to be held over Thanksgiving weekend
we are having a wedding in the area and would like to have all our out of town guests stay at the same place as well as the wedding party and bride/groom. can we include breakfast each day and a dinner the friday night? can you give us a really good package deal like $1200 for the weekend?
To rent our entire house with breakfast each day for 20 people would be $3,603.57 - we do not serve dinners. Considering that they found us on web and our prices are clearly posted - WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!

whattha.gif

Oh come on.....you wouldn't want to have them for a whole $30 per person per night which would include lodging and food?
thumbs_down.gif
Unbelievable! Well, this Thanksgiving you can be thankful that you won't have to put up with all that
cheers.gif

Oh come on.....you wouldn't want to have them for a whole $30 per person per night which would include lodging and food?
thumbs_down.gif
Unbelievable! Well, this Thanksgiving you can be thankful that you won't have to put up with all that
cheers.gif
you got that right!

I'd consider 10% off.......definitely no dinner, probably no linen changes.

I'd consider 10% off.......definitely no dinner, probably no linen changes..
With that many kids? No discount, no breaks because breaks is what happens a lot when kids are are around PLUS it is 10 adults plus the wedding party. Wedding = booze = troubles withj a capital T. That is why so many of us say NO WEDDINGS, thank you. It is more than bridezilla.
From working at a major chain I saw enough of weddings to know I wanted no part of it. (Unless it was an elopement.)

Thanks but no thanks, I would say. I never took a wedding group, or any family group. My hotel experience says that's just inviting trouble in AND giving it a discount.

10% off total for package, and at this late date, close to 100% deposit.

Don't think she was posting this here to work out a deal with them, she was posting to show how ridiculous it is. jus' sayin'...

Don't think she was posting this here to work out a deal with them, she was posting to show how ridiculous it is. jus' sayin'....
Of course,JB, but the value of this forum for new/aspiring inn keepers is really in the "what would you do in this case". We all get these requests for deals and we all hate to turn down business. Where do you draw the line? Do you counter offer or just ignore that request?

Were they serious?? Oh my. What do people think these days? I wouldn't give them a good deal...I would be charging them EXTRA!!!! You all know what PITA's wedding parties can be...OH MY! Let them go to the nearest Holiday Inn.
pita.gif

Oh yes, they were serious. I do not want them here even if they offered to pay me double. They decided that they will look to rent a whole house for 20 people for $1000 for 3 days. I wished them good luck.

Oh yes, they were serious. I do not want them here even if they offered to pay me double. They decided that they will look to rent a whole house for 20 people for $1000 for 3 days. I wished them good luck..
Looks like what they are thinking now is not eating breakfast or everyone has cereal and dinner at McD's. If they find a building for 20 people for $1000, it's still going to cost them food, but not if they each bring something to eat.
Glad they have moved on. No one needs this kind of aggro. I don't understand why they didn't get 3-4 rooms at a hotel and cram everyone in. They could eat breakfast for free and bring extras back to the room for dinner. Maybe they'll find a house with 1-2 bathrooms. Now that would be interesting.

Agoodman, I am glad this is working for you, at least so far. Having prepared foods delivered and an alotted time to use your dining area is an option, although I would only allow this for an upcharge.
But there are many drawbacks to allowing guests to use your kitchen and before aspiring place this in their idea boxes I will start with a few reasons:
  1. make sure you check with the board of health in your area, it could be a no no
  2. check with your insurance carrier, many do not allow this and if something goes wrong, may not cover damages
  3. Everything has its place and the guests do not know where to return it - leaving you to search when it comes time to cook for others
  4. Cleaning - not knowing what items they used or how well they cleaned them leaves you with double work

Of course those are all considerations and good points, and that's where I said it may not work for some.

AGoodman, I do not think anyone was slamming you. Just pointing out the Big Bad Wolves - Health Dept and Insurance. Ever since our first winter when we had student teachers long term and one managed to slice her finger cutting her bagel so badly it required cosmetic surgery, NO ONE uses my kitchen but me! No lawsuit or any problems from it, just a wake-up call precaution.
I offer Thanksgiving dinner - I cook it and serve it wearing 18th century clothing. The revenue is a beautiful thing. But it is so much work I probably do not make anything on it - just get the $$$ iinto the bank to cover my honking loan payment when the season has otherwise ended.
It is wonderful that you have found such a family. CH was just pointing out to aspirings that one must check the regs. I would bet you were very familiar with those folks before you did the kitchen/whole house with them. Personally, I could not imagine that with first-timers.

AGoodman, I do not think anyone was slamming you. Just pointing out the Big Bad Wolves - Health Dept and Insurance. Ever since our first winter when we had student teachers long term and one managed to slice her finger cutting her bagel so badly it required cosmetic surgery, NO ONE uses my kitchen but me! No lawsuit or any problems from it, just a wake-up call precaution.
I offer Thanksgiving dinner - I cook it and serve it wearing 18th century clothing. The revenue is a beautiful thing. But it is so much work I probably do not make anything on it - just get the $$$ iinto the bank to cover my honking loan payment when the season has otherwise ended.
It is wonderful that you have found such a family. CH was just pointing out to aspirings that one must check the regs. I would bet you were very familiar with those folks before you did the kitchen/whole house with them. Personally, I could not imagine that with first-timers..
You dress up!! Oh my I take my hat off to you!!

It is wonderful that you have found such a family. CH was just pointing out to aspirings that one must check the regs. I would bet you were very familiar with those folks before you did the kitchen/whole house with them. Personally, I could not imagine that with first-timers..
You dress up!! Oh my I take my hat off to you!!
When we lived in Illinois we belonged to a Rev War living history re-enactment organization. We have the clothing so doing an 18th Century Frontier Dinner and giving a history lesson as we do it making use of what we already have makes sense. $$$
Last year we had 2 couples - each had a turkey of their own (10 lb) but shared the rest of the fare. That 3-days took care of my December expenses as in honking loan payment.

Back