Giving B&B's a bad name

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
A guest that checked in this weekend told me they received a call from the B&B they had booked, their reservation was being canceled because "they were the only booking they had for that night" ..
People on this board often ponder why people don't choose B&B's more often. Well there is one reason right there for you!
I am sure I am going to get some slack from some Inns that have done this but sorry people, that is not a good reason to cancel someone's booking, we get upset and wonder why people cancel on us and yet we do this to our guests. Sorry if you have to switch on your heat/air, buy a dozen eggs and bring in your housekeeper for one room and it eats your profit, well then you should never have accepted the reservation in the first place. And no there was no offer to pay for them somewhere else, or offer ANY form of compensation.
SHAME ON YOU

I agree, we might decline the booking when it comes in, but never had to cancel after one was already on the books.

I seriously doubt that a regular forum member would ever do this. I really think you should have said "SHAME ON THEM" and not "SHAME ON YOU".

"You" only refers to anyone that has done this - if no one on this board has done this then they would not think the "you" was being directed at them
I guarantee you there are Innkeepers that read this forum that have never posted so we can't say that probably Innkeepers on this forum would never think of doing it
The issue is AN INN did it and it's bad for the rest of us.

I would never cancell someone unless it was some kind of emergency ie no heat in january etc land even then would have found them somewhere else same standard with people I know and the same price even if I had to pay the difference. thats what is done.

Was it in our State here in the SE? We are embarking on another major heat wave!! Curious minds want to know...
In the middle of our blazing hot summers here when the bookings were literally non-existent, I told callers that we didn't have availability and referred them on to one of our larger inns that had staff, etc. It did not pay to air condition this big ol' house or our second house for one room.
We did our heavy maintenance and cleaning at this time of year when things were really slow. Also, in January when there were no bookings. For instance, we just rebuilt most of the columns on our double porches, along with the upper pavilion porch floor. It look weeks longer than we thought due to thunderstorms, etc.
I called a guest once to cancel their rez and had already pre-arranged for them to stay at another B&B if they wanted to - I had just gotten back from urgent care....
Stuff happens and I don't really think we should judge how others run their business.

Our opinion is that a reservation with a guest is a contract and I don't care if we have just one guest or a house full, your reservation is my compact.
Unless of course BB.com screws it up, at which point I'm steaming from the top of my head and looking for someone to smite with a Dungeons and Dragons book.

Was it in our State here in the SE? We are embarking on another major heat wave!! Curious minds want to know...
In the middle of our blazing hot summers here when the bookings were literally non-existent, I told callers that we didn't have availability and referred them on to one of our larger inns that had staff, etc. It did not pay to air condition this big ol' house or our second house for one room.
We did our heavy maintenance and cleaning at this time of year when things were really slow. Also, in January when there were no bookings. For instance, we just rebuilt most of the columns on our double porches, along with the upper pavilion porch floor. It look weeks longer than we thought due to thunderstorms, etc.
I called a guest once to cancel their rez and had already pre-arranged for them to stay at another B&B if they wanted to - I had just gotten back from urgent care....
Stuff happens and I don't really think we should judge how others run their business..
everyone agrees stuff happens but from what was said it seems they couldn't be bothered for just one and didn't make any alternative arrangements. (mind we don't know if that is what actually happened mind) for example if you were sick, husband rushed to hospital, kids rushed to hospital etc then by all means book people out no one would suggest that was unnecessary. Its the can't be bothered for 1 room attitude that hurts us as an industry.

Stuff happens and I don't really think we should judge how others run their business..
everyone agrees stuff happens but from what was said it seems they couldn't be bothered for just one and didn't make any alternative arrangements. (mind we don't know if that is what actually happened mind) for example if you were sick, husband rushed to hospital, kids rushed to hospital etc then by all means book people out no one would suggest that was unnecessary. Its the can't be bothered for 1 room attitude that hurts us as an industry.
And we only have a second-hand knowledge that that is what the innkeeper sactually said..... We all know guests do NOT put spin on anything that aggrieves them - read T A reviews for confirmation. As our Constiution guarantees - Innocent until proven guilty!

I stayed at a B&B once and since we were tthe only guests that night she did not bother fixing a full breakfast in the morning as advertised. However the next morning, with only one extra person ( regular guest ), she gave him the royal treatment.....so my money was not good enough ?
I am not shunning all B&B's because of this, I just never go back ther again..;)
Last week I got a reservation trough B&B.com, and the guest later called me. She was surprised that we were a B&B and she really was not comfortable with that as she too had once a bad experience . I guaranteed her she would be happy....and she was . They will keep returning to us.
All I have to say is one bad apple does not have to spoil the bunch...lol

I stayed at a B&B once and since we were tthe only guests that night she did not bother fixing a full breakfast in the morning as advertised. However the next morning, with only one extra person ( regular guest ), she gave him the royal treatment.....so my money was not good enough ?
I am not shunning all B&B's because of this, I just never go back ther again..;)
Last week I got a reservation trough B&B.com, and the guest later called me. She was surprised that we were a B&B and she really was not comfortable with that as she too had once a bad experience . I guaranteed her she would be happy....and she was . They will keep returning to us.
All I have to say is one bad apple does not have to spoil the bunch...lol

Back