Giving discounts for no breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4arosa

Reaction score
Sometimes reservation inquires include guests wanting a discount for choosing not to have breakfast. When I get this question, I reply:
"Sir/Madam: You know when you stay in a hotel that has a pool or exercise room, and you choose not to use those amenities? Well, it's your choice not to use them, and the hotel doesn't discount your rate. Here in our B&B it's the same way with our breakfasts."
Most people understand when it's presented that way. For those that don't understand...do I really want them as guests?! Not. They just want a cheap room.
Cheers.

Too much negative in my opinion. We just tell them that with a bed and breakfast, breakfast is complimentary.
FYI, if you charged for breakfast you would need a restaurant license.

Breakfast is complimentary - no discounts for not eating..
gillumhouse said:
Breakfast is complimentary - no discounts for not eating.
DITTO
We rarely are asked such a thing, probably because of our location. We are often asked about kama`aina discounts, which were a big part of the landscape for many years. That has faded some and we use a three rate sliding scale based on the number of nights, so we have a ready response when folks ask. We try really hard not to use the "N" word.

4arosa said:
Sometimes reservation inquires include guests wanting a discount for choosing not to have breakfast. When I get this question, I reply:
"Sir/Madam: You know when you stay in a hotel that has a pool or exercise room, and you choose not to use those amenities? Well, it's your choice not to use them, and the hotel doesn't discount your rate. Here in our B&B it's the same way with our breakfasts."
Most people understand when it's presented that way. For those that don't understand...do I really want them as guests?! Not. They just want a cheap room.
Cheers.
Breakfast is complimentary for you to enjoy. I would leave it at that. They can have it or not. Don't try to explain it, they don't want an explanation.

If someone has to leave really early and doesn't want breakfast I offer them $10.00 off their stay or a packaged breakfast to go. It rarely happens but I had guests here last week for a triathlon and they had to leave at 5:45 a.m. so they took the breakfast to go rather than the discount. It was all made the night before and I got to sleep in!

Breakfast is complimentary.
But if you're traveling on a government per diem, paying government lodging rate ($70/night) then we can talk about "splitting the costs." That is, last year I had a guest for eight weeks on a government rate... in part because we agreed that she wouldn't get breakfast for that rate, and I was happy to have the long term business.
=)
Kk.

I agree with all of the above.
Although, during Hunting Season when D. is gone for about 10 days, I run a "Cooks Vacation" special with a deep discount in return for a continental breakfast of a yummy baked good, fruit and juice. I put it out at 7am and they can enjoy anytime until 10am.
Every year sees more people, and some coming as repeats.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments. I now have a new phrase: "It's complimentary."

If someone has to leave really early and doesn't want breakfast I offer them $10.00 off their stay or a packaged breakfast to go. It rarely happens but I had guests here last week for a triathlon and they had to leave at 5:45 a.m. so they took the breakfast to go rather than the discount. It was all made the night before and I got to sleep in!.
Country Girl said:
If someone has to leave really early and doesn't want breakfast I offer them $10.00 off their stay or a packaged breakfast to go. It rarely happens but I had guests here last week for a triathlon and they had to leave at 5:45 a.m. so they took the breakfast to go rather than the discount. It was all made the night before and I got to sleep in!
We had a similar type guest here for a horse show. She left very early each morning. We offered the to go breakfast, but she declined and just had coffee from the coffee service in her room.

Hmmm. Maybe, just maybe we can figure out a way to charge then extra for NOT eating breakfast. Especially the no shows in the morning after DW got up early and cooked a gourmet breakfast!
smiley-angry013.gif

Breakfast is included complimentary. So you can't discount something you are giving away:) OOPS..I guess you have already heard this numerous times. That's what I get for not reading the entire thread first.
tounge_smile.gif

Breakfast is included complimentary. So you can't discount something you are giving away:) OOPS..I guess you have already heard this numerous times. That's what I get for not reading the entire thread first.
tounge_smile.gif
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
Yes, but did you know that it was complimentary?

tounge_smile.gif
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
No PT, it's free!
poke.gif

Back