Giving it all away...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We give away the farm in B&B's - DH had to pay $9.95 to access the wireless last night when he had an emergency at work he had to deal with while out of town just overnight.
The hotel is near Duke Univ and all the medical centers there, so most likely every guest who stayed there would require internet access. Every guest gets to pay for it.
It always bothers me when people act like we charge the moon and we give away everything for free, trying to please our guests, trying to get bookings, etc.
Does anyone on this forum Charge for Wireless Internet Access? Do people pay it?
I know, we only run a B&B for the fun...I know. :)

We don't charge but we have been approached by companies to set up the WiFi here. In that regard, I can understand the hotels charging for access. For me, the rate was $495/month for this company to set up the system. I'd would HAVE to charge.
Hotels want to show the lowest possible rate because, we all know, that's the only thing the guest looks at. Guests rarely ask, 'What does that include?' they just say 'thanks' and hang up if we haven't had a chance to explain what it includes. And then they go stay somewhere that will charge them for everything, but they got a 'good deal' with the $99 room rate.
I'm waiting for the hotels to start charging around here, but there are enough of them to keep each other in check.

I've been encouring my parents to charge for more things. For some reason they just think it is wrong.
In regards to wireless, I can see a B&B owner thinking it is a necessary thing for the owner to have in their business. Once the cost is incurred it does not cost anymore to let guest use it... so why charge?
A hotel on the other hand would have to maintain a (I assume) more of a network to offer wireless.

I have stayed places where the wireless was iffy and we accessed other wireless, neighbors, other businesses.

Why would WiFi be so expensive? I just had a cheap router installed and voila!

Why would WiFi be so expensive? I just had a cheap router installed and voila!.
ginocat said:
Why would WiFi be so expensive? I just had a cheap router installed and voila!
If you get into having someone else do it for you, that's where the expense comes in. If you've ever used this kind of system somewhere (airport for example) they have a webpage they take you to where you get all the ads. All of that costs money.
I wouldn't do this, it's silly for me. But a hotel doesn't have someone on duty who can handle WiFi problems so they hire it out.
Even here I've had the worst time logging onto my own router. But that's my laptop setup. It won't let me discard any signal it finds and just use my own. It keeps 'finding' every signal in the area and bumping me off my own, secure, router to put me on an open network.

I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination but from the little I understand (or claim to understand) is that the regular wifi modems can only handle so much band width at a time so larger facilities (i.e. larger inns and hotels) need a more complex system to handle the possible usage. Thus the more cost upfront, but once that is paid for the upkeep, etc. has to be minimal ----
So why the charge? because they feel they can get people to pay, and primarily in areas such as where JB's DH was staying they most likely get a good chunk of business guests who are on company expense accounts. The company is not going to balk at the $10 fee for WiFi if it means that their employee has means to produce more work. AND it is another way the hotel can recoup the business traveler discount they gave them for their room.

Hotels charge simply because they can. Sadly it's often the most expensive hotels that charge the most. When a guest is paying $600 a night for a room, it's difficult to justify that there is any reason at all to charge for local phone calls, WiFi, or parking. Yet those charges are common at luxury hotels.
B&Bs are great value compared to just about any hotel out there. That doesn't mean I think they should start charging for every little thing. I don't.
But getting the word out to prospective guests about everything that is included in the daily rate is really important if they're making a comparison.

Hotels charge simply because they can. Sadly it's often the most expensive hotels that charge the most. When a guest is paying $600 a night for a room, it's difficult to justify that there is any reason at all to charge for local phone calls, WiFi, or parking. Yet those charges are common at luxury hotels.
B&Bs are great value compared to just about any hotel out there. That doesn't mean I think they should start charging for every little thing. I don't.
But getting the word out to prospective guests about everything that is included in the daily rate is really important if they're making a comparison..
Innkeeper To Go said:
But getting the word out to prospective guests about everything that is included in the daily rate is really important if they're making a comparison.
And as we all say - yes, we try but all they here is:
(think of the teacher talking in the Peanut's cartoons)
WA WA WA WA and $150 (or what ever your rate)
and then they say - OK, I'll call you back....and never do.

But getting the word out to prospective guests about everything that is included in the daily rate is really important if they're making a comparison..
Innkeeper To Go said:
You're right. Guests hear what they want to hear and sometimes it's just amazing what they don't retain.
I'm not really talking about selling it to guests on the phone so much as an industry wide messaging issue when it comes the great values B&B represent. When compared to hotels that offer similar amenities, the add-on fees can add to up an incredible difference in the total cost.
For whatever reason, the B&B value message isn't out there to the general public and it really should be.
Press releases are free.

Innkeeper To Go said:
You're right. Guests hear what they want to hear and sometimes it's just amazing what they don't retain.
I'm not really talking about selling it to guests on the phone so much as an industry wide messaging issue when it comes the great values B&B represent. When compared to hotels that offer similar amenities, the add-on fees can add to up an incredible difference in the total cost.
For whatever reason, the B&B value message isn't out there to the general public and it really should be.
Press releases are free.
Wi-Fi is free at my B&B but then it's not working.......Mary in Bwater

Innkeeper To Go said:
I got the coded answer the other day...'We don't need a room that large.' Read: We don't want to pay that much.

Back