Glass carafe with ice insert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What do you all use for afternoon iced tea/coffee? I don't want a sweating carafe on the counter with ice melting into the iced tea, so I was thinking of those carafes with the ice insert. Anyone use those? Where do you find them?

You know someone who has those! You been there done that.
The only issue I have with them is #1 they are heavy. I don't need people spilling more liquids around here due to the weight of them. #2 they are not as large as I would like them to be for the iced tea, (ie hold enough) as you have to refill it too often.
The ice in the tea will melt in 5 seconds, so I have the tea chilled, and then an ice bucket with the ice. People can use the ice for their other drinks too if they want to. One man is walking around with a bottle of Dr Pepper and he is using the ice.
Back to the orig topic, I really do LIKE those tho, they don't dilute the fluid like reg ice melting into it. That was why, like you know for say a bridal or baby shower in the old days, we would freeze 7 up or lemonade to put into the punch bowl so it was not diluted, but more of the same ingredient.

The only issue I have with them is #1 they are heavy. I don't need people spilling more liquids around here due to the weight of them. #2 they are not as large as I would like them to be for the iced tea, (ie hold enough) as you have to refill it too often.
The ice in the tea will melt in 5 seconds, so I have the tea chilled, and then an ice bucket with the ice. People can use the ice for their other drinks too if they want to. One man is walking around with a bottle of Dr Pepper and he is using the ice.
Back to the orig topic, I really do LIKE those tho, they don't dilute the fluid like reg ice melting into it. That was why, like you know for say a bridal or baby shower in the old days, we would freeze 7 up or lemonade to put into the punch bowl so it was not diluted, but more of the same ingredient..
I could just put it out warm, then and let guests guet their own ice. I was trying to make it easier.
Yes, I remember those carafes, just wondering if everyone likes them and where to buy and which ones work best.

Back to the orig topic, I really do LIKE those tho, they don't dilute the fluid like reg ice melting into it. That was why, like you know for say a bridal or baby shower in the old days, we would freeze 7 up or lemonade to put into the punch bowl so it was not diluted, but more of the same ingredient..
I could just put it out warm, then and let guests guet their own ice. I was trying to make it easier.
Yes, I remember those carafes, just wondering if everyone likes them and where to buy and which ones work best.
i don't have one any more.
it got broken
sad_smile.gif

but i freeze some of the tea and or lemonade and then let it melt into the pitcher. works great.

I have 3 of those pitchers with the tubes for ice & think that I got them at Target? Or I might have picked them up at Tuesday Morning? They work really well for juice as it doesn't get diluted & stays cool during breakfast. We actually stopped putting juice out in them most of the time & just take orders & pour it in the kitchen because we don't have a lot of juice drinkers here. Weird....
I agree with JBJ that they're not really large enough for iced tea (at least around here). I use a large cut crystal pitcher for iced tea which I make unsweetened (heaven forbid!!) and I make it fairly strong in my ice tea maker. I put some ice in the pitcher to chill it down a bit more but then have an ice bucket with tongs out. Keeps it from getting too diluted. I set it out on a tray for the sweating issue.

What's your recipe again for iced tea?
Do you have one for lemonade?

Recipe for ided tea: throw a bunch of family sized tea bags in the Iced Tea Machine
teeth_smile.gif

Somewhere I have a good lemonade recipe but they seem to like the iced tea here. I did make up some Simple Syrup for these sweet tea drinkers here...no issues with sugar dissolving. Believe it or not, there are a fair number of people here that don't drink the sweet tea
regular_smile.gif

There was a whole riff on ice tea and ice tea making on the Splendid Table last week -
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/beverages_make_icedtea.shtml

There was a whole riff on ice tea and ice tea making on the Splendid Table last week -
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/beverages_make_icedtea.shtml
If I were making iced tea just for myself & dh, I would definitely throw in some other type of tea. Not here...they want their Lipton's, Roses, Tetley, or some other "regular" kind of tea. One of our favorite restaurants nearby makes THE BEST sweet tea. In fact, it's the only sweet tea that I'll drink. They put something that has a hint of lavender in it. A lot of folks here don't like it but is is wonderful to me.

Yep, Wal mart, Crate & Barrel, and I think Pottery Barn had them. We love ours

I have 3 of those pitchers with the tubes for ice & think that I got them at Target? Or I might have picked them up at Tuesday Morning? They work really well for juice as it doesn't get diluted & stays cool during breakfast. We actually stopped putting juice out in them most of the time & just take orders & pour it in the kitchen because we don't have a lot of juice drinkers here. Weird....
I agree with JBJ that they're not really large enough for iced tea (at least around here). I use a large cut crystal pitcher for iced tea which I make unsweetened (heaven forbid!!) and I make it fairly strong in my ice tea maker. I put some ice in the pitcher to chill it down a bit more but then have an ice bucket with tongs out. Keeps it from getting too diluted. I set it out on a tray for the sweating issue.
Samster said:
same here, on a tray. Guests move it off, I move it back on.

This is how I make sweet tea here. I use a 2qt pitcher, add 1 cup of sugar and either 8 regular size tea bags or 4 family sized bags (Tetley or Luzianne, never Lipton!). I boil about 2 cups of water and add that to the sugar and tea bags and stir until the sugar is dissolved. I only let the bags sit for about 5 minutes or otherwise they seem to get too strong and bitter to me. I then fill the pitcher up with cold water. Yum!

This is how I make sweet tea here. I use a 2qt pitcher, add 1 cup of sugar and either 8 regular size tea bags or 4 family sized bags (Tetley or Luzianne, never Lipton!). I boil about 2 cups of water and add that to the sugar and tea bags and stir until the sugar is dissolved. I only let the bags sit for about 5 minutes or otherwise they seem to get too strong and bitter to me. I then fill the pitcher up with cold water. Yum!
I think you should put that in the recipe section! It sounds great!
=)
Kk.

Here's a great recipe for lemonade from an old edition of The Joy of Cooking (they've dropped it from newer editions):
For each cup of water, add 2-3 T. sugar. Bring to a boil to make a simple syrup (the sugar should be completely dissolved). Cool. For each cup of water, add 1-1/2 T. lemon juice. Finally, add a pinch of salt. It's remarkable the difference the pinch of salt makes.

Here's a great recipe for lemonade from an old edition of The Joy of Cooking (they've dropped it from newer editions):
For each cup of water, add 2-3 T. sugar. Bring to a boil to make a simple syrup (the sugar should be completely dissolved). Cool. For each cup of water, add 1-1/2 T. lemon juice. Finally, add a pinch of salt. It's remarkable the difference the pinch of salt makes.
Thanks tedwin. Is that a pinch of salt per cup? I never would have guessed salt in lemonade.

Thanks tedwin. Is that a pinch of salt per cup? I never would have guessed salt in lemonade.
No, that's a pinch for an entire pitcher (or to taste)!

Limeade (hard to find lemons here)
1 cup water and 1` cup sugar, bring to boil to make a simple syrup.
add 1 cup of fresh squeezed limes, pour into a pitcher and fill with water.
This is excellent and goes fast, sad when there isn't enough for ourselves.
c: )

Limeade (hard to find lemons here)
1 cup water and 1` cup sugar, bring to boil to make a simple syrup.
add 1 cup of fresh squeezed limes, pour into a pitcher and fill with water.
This is excellent and goes fast, sad when there isn't enough for ourselves.
c: ).
That's the lemonade recipe, too. I add sliced lemons to the top of the pitcher for "pretty". Thank you!!

Back