Glassboro innkeeper highlights troubles of life in college town with ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She had better watch what she writes...someday she may want to sell this place and then where will she be???? UH OH...

I looked at the website, which is...beyond words. I was wondering how she sells it as upscale when she has this situation going on. I would guess she would have some negative reviews due to this and hope for her she has dealt with them properly.
What would an innkeeper do if they found themselves in this situation? I mean, if the INN were there first and the bar/hotel came after? Other than calling the police repeatedly?

I looked at the website, which is...beyond words. I was wondering how she sells it as upscale when she has this situation going on. I would guess she would have some negative reviews due to this and hope for her she has dealt with them properly.
What would an innkeeper do if they found themselves in this situation? I mean, if the INN were there first and the bar/hotel came after? Other than calling the police repeatedly?.
It's weird..on my Firefox browser, I can't see half the stuff on her pages...can in IE...hmmm that is weird.

Weird. This same sort of story was just on This American Life last night. I didn't listen to the whole thing but it was recorded in State College, PA. Ira Glass and the owner of the house sat on her porch for 35 minutes at 1 AM in the morning. In that time, roving bands of college students peed on her lawn (girls), tore up a stop sign, bashed garbage cans in the alley alongside her house and threatened her with rape if she followed them, cursed and yelled while stumbling past her house, etc.
She pointed out that this was ONE corner in ONE neighborhood and that this was going on all over the town.
I do know that when noise and complaints get 'excessive' in the city near me, the police yank the liquor licenses.

What would an innkeeper do if they found themselves in this situation? I mean, if the INN were there first and the bar/hotel came after? Other than calling the police repeatedly?.
It's weird..on my Firefox browser, I can't see half the stuff on her pages...can in IE...hmmm that is weird.
catlady said:
I wasn't sure if things were missing or just not showing.

After reading this article I believe I would rent or even buy a night-vison camera and make tapes or at a minimum take photos if they want proof of the "who is".
Edited to add this was one reason we did not even look in Morgantown or Fairmont - both have Universities.

After reading this article I believe I would rent or even buy a night-vison camera and make tapes or at a minimum take photos if they want proof of the "who is".
Edited to add this was one reason we did not even look in Morgantown or Fairmont - both have Universities..
I would not classify all unversity towns as undesirable! We strongly considered my University city. Lots of potential guests in a college town.
It depends on the proximity I would guess. Lots of places in both of these towns where students would not be an issue. Sounds like this school needs to reign in some of their students.

We are in a university town, also - although not one like State College or Glassboro. Here, not too many students live in town. There are not that many apartments or rental houses and the ones that are here are generally too pricey for college kids. We do have one bar that causes trouble and I'm glad we are several blocks away from it. However,, like Glassboro, the biggest troublemakers there are the 25-30 crowd who drive in from out of state to take advantage of our ridiculous state LCB law that allows them stay open until 3:30 a.m. Then, before they get back in their cars to drive drunk to their homes, they get into fights and buy drugs. The bar is a bad neighbor because they just put them out on the street as soon as trouble starts so that they don't bear any responsibility. Our town police expenses are double what they would be if the bar closed at a normal hour.
I went to Penn State and I can't imagine living in any of those beautiful older neighborhoods in between the town, the frat houses, the apartment high-rises and the teeny cramped apartments that they rent to most students. PA has a drinking age of 21 but with the number of students housed off-campus, it's pretty easy to find someone to buy the liquor for a party. I haven't spent any time in Glassboro but it is probably a similar story - I'm guessing Morgantown is like that, too.

We are in a university town, also - although not one like State College or Glassboro. Here, not too many students live in town. There are not that many apartments or rental houses and the ones that are here are generally too pricey for college kids. We do have one bar that causes trouble and I'm glad we are several blocks away from it. However,, like Glassboro, the biggest troublemakers there are the 25-30 crowd who drive in from out of state to take advantage of our ridiculous state LCB law that allows them stay open until 3:30 a.m. Then, before they get back in their cars to drive drunk to their homes, they get into fights and buy drugs. The bar is a bad neighbor because they just put them out on the street as soon as trouble starts so that they don't bear any responsibility. Our town police expenses are double what they would be if the bar closed at a normal hour.
I went to Penn State and I can't imagine living in any of those beautiful older neighborhoods in between the town, the frat houses, the apartment high-rises and the teeny cramped apartments that they rent to most students. PA has a drinking age of 21 but with the number of students housed off-campus, it's pretty easy to find someone to buy the liquor for a party. I haven't spent any time in Glassboro but it is probably a similar story - I'm guessing Morgantown is like that, too..
A similar situation is in Burlington, VT. Main St, striaght down from the college to the downtown is often the scene of large gangs of kids coming and going at all hours. I know some neighborhoods got together with the college to work out how to keep the neighborhoods safer for the families who live there. But, landlords in that area take lovely old Victorians and turn them into student housing. One apt per floor. At $1000+/month it takes a lot of kids sharing a 2 bedroom flat to make a go of it.
So now Burlington has what seem like odd ordinances...no cars parked on the lawn, no 'house furniture' on the porch.
Many student housing neighbors make friends right off with the students. They haul their 3-4 year old kids over to 'meet the neighbors' so the college students see there are real families and little kids who will be disturbed by loud parties, etc. They bake cookies. They invite the students over for meals. It seems to work. But not everywhere.
To combat the end of year mass exodus, leave my trash behind scenario, they now host a 'yard sale' all over town. You put your 'stuff' outside and people come and take it away. At the end of the weekend, anything left over is hauled away by the college. This has stopped students throwing everything out the windows and smashing everything they didn't want. Someone gets some use from it all.

I went to Penn State and I can't imagine living in any of those beautiful older neighborhoods in between the town, the frat houses, the apartment high-rises and the teeny cramped apartments that they rent to most students. PA has a drinking age of 21 but with the number of students housed off-campus, it's pretty easy to find someone to buy the liquor for a party. I haven't spent any time in Glassboro but it is probably a similar story - I'm guessing Morgantown is like that, too..
A similar situation is in Burlington, VT. Main St, striaght down from the college to the downtown is often the scene of large gangs of kids coming and going at all hours. I know some neighborhoods got together with the college to work out how to keep the neighborhoods safer for the families who live there. But, landlords in that area take lovely old Victorians and turn them into student housing. One apt per floor. At $1000+/month it takes a lot of kids sharing a 2 bedroom flat to make a go of it.
So now Burlington has what seem like odd ordinances...no cars parked on the lawn, no 'house furniture' on the porch.
Many student housing neighbors make friends right off with the students. They haul their 3-4 year old kids over to 'meet the neighbors' so the college students see there are real families and little kids who will be disturbed by loud parties, etc. They bake cookies. They invite the students over for meals. It seems to work. But not everywhere.
To combat the end of year mass exodus, leave my trash behind scenario, they now host a 'yard sale' all over town. You put your 'stuff' outside and people come and take it away. At the end of the weekend, anything left over is hauled away by the college. This has stopped students throwing everything out the windows and smashing everything they didn't want. Someone gets some use from it all.
Morgantown is a very nice town and they have finally (the City) cracked down on the student-housing slumlords after a couple students died in fires in those firetraps.
However, due to STUDENTS, there is also an ordinance that there will not only be a citation but the City will haul away any indoor furniture (read couches) on any porch. One reason M-town has such low unemployment is all the new student housing that is being built. The firetraps are being rehabbed or torn down.

She had better watch what she writes...someday she may want to sell this place and then where will she be???? UH OH....
I was thinking the same thing. I understand her frustration but she's just boxed herself into one big corner.

Back