Glued to eBay

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I am glues to eBay for the next 2 hours. I got an e-mail a couple days ago telling me there was a doll for sale on eBay that was made by Margaret Panek and that in searching for Margaret Panek she found us. She told us about it in case we were interested and gave the link to it. The auction ends in 2 hours. I have been outbid as of now. I am waiting untill the last second to make my final bid and hope it is enough to get it. This is one of her early dolls and is carved from wood. It is signed and dated 1966. Cross fingers that i get it. DH wants it badly. Her later dolls were bisque.

what is the relationship? I just looked at it. Looks in very good condition. HOpe you get it.

John's Mother. She made beautiful dolls. After I cressed her - meaning I did not agree to what SHE wanted - she would never make a doll for me. I asked her several times to make me one of her Peddler dolls, that I would pay her whatever she wanted for it. But she did not. The Peddler was a doll dressed in Polish costume with all sorts of things a peddler would have sold attached to her apron and dress. It was beutiful.

Do not wait for the last minute to post your bid on ebay. You'll be stung by people who use third party bidding sites. They enter their bids on these non-ebay sites. They don't get entered into the ebay site until the last 2 or 3 seconds. You won't have time to enter a higher bid.
Use one of the third party sites yourself. I have used Auctionstealer in the past. The free account will show your bid in the last 20 seconds. I think you may make 2 or 3 bids per week with their free account.
-KathleenM

i didn't think you could sign up with those services and be ready to go right away. i thought it took a while. maybe that's changed?
i hope you get the doll!

Do not wait for the last minute to post your bid on ebay. You'll be stung by people who use third party bidding sites. They enter their bids on these non-ebay sites. They don't get entered into the ebay site until the last 2 or 3 seconds. You won't have time to enter a higher bid.
Use one of the third party sites yourself. I have used Auctionstealer in the past. The free account will show your bid in the last 20 seconds. I think you may make 2 or 3 bids per week with their free account.
-KathleenM.
I am planning to bid high enough that no one else will bid that. I am waiting until the last 30 seconds to do my final bid. We are down to the last 30 min.

Yah snipe it at the last second.... 30 seconds is too long...you have to get down to the last 10. Good luck.... I buy in spurts...I get addicted to the competition of it...so I buy a few things (mainly old tools) then DW has to talk me down lol.

congratulations!
can you hide it away til christmas as though you didnt get it or his hub in on the auction and knows already?

congratulations!
can you hide it away til christmas as though you didnt get it or his hub in on the auction and knows already?.
He knows. he was asking me every couple of minutes what was happening. I finally told him there are 10 minutes to go - do NOT bother me! We both had visions of our in-coming guests arriving in the last couple of minutes - they would have had to wait! HE is the one paying for this. I do not think he HAD a max limit. He wanted that doll. I already did the PayPal to get it in the works for sending it.

congratulations!
can you hide it away til christmas as though you didnt get it or his hub in on the auction and knows already?.
He knows. he was asking me every couple of minutes what was happening. I finally told him there are 10 minutes to go - do NOT bother me! We both had visions of our in-coming guests arriving in the last couple of minutes - they would have had to wait! HE is the one paying for this. I do not think he HAD a max limit. He wanted that doll. I already did the PayPal to get it in the works for sending it.
Congratulations! Many items for our B&B came from Ebay. Some days you eat the bear. This was your day!
KathleenM.

congratulations!
Congratulations! Many items for our B&B came from Ebay. Some days you eat the bear. This was your day!
KathleenM.
Skamokawa said:
Congratulations! Many items for our B&B came from Ebay.
KathleenM.
I got twin mahogany beds on e-bay. Not the ffour poster kind because they would have been too overpowering for the room, but they are 1930's vintage. Even with the shipping they were cheaper than anything I could have gotten here in CT. They were shipped from Spokan, WA. We also have firemen in the family and have gotten a number of the Golden Book "The Five Little Firemen". Oh, have also gotten pieces of a Christmas Village that is not Dept 54 but one that I had started for our daughter when she was married 15 years ago. Come to find out this village was only made for 4 years and than the molds were destroyed.

congratulations!
KathleenM.
Skamokawa said:
Congratulations! Many items for our B&B came from Ebay.
KathleenM.
I got twin mahogany beds on e-bay. Not the ffour poster kind because they would have been too overpowering for the room, but they are 1930's vintage. Even with the shipping they were cheaper than anything I could have gotten here in CT. They were shipped from Spokan, WA. We also have firemen in the family and have gotten a number of the Golden Book "The Five Little Firemen". Oh, have also gotten pieces of a Christmas Village that is not Dept 54 but one that I had started for our daughter when she was married 15 years ago. Come to find out this village was only made for 4 years and than the molds were destroyed.
My silver plate came from eBay. I was looking for the Queen Bess pattern that Mom had (via Betty Crocker coupons in the 40s & 50s) and when I was finished discovered there were 3 different patterns called Queen Bess - 1921; 1924; 1946. My Zarafina Tea Maker, motorcycle books for DH, my Steubenville Pottery dishes, and a lot of my replacement Fostoria.
E-mail me offline what line your Christmas Village is. My aunt had a lot of houses etc in her collections and if I have yours, you can have it. I am lookng to clear out MY house.

CONGRATS on getting the doll!! That's so awesome that it was John's Mom, I'm sure it will mean a lot to him to have it, she really did beautiful work!

Now do a search and save it so that ebay will send you an email next time!
=)
Kk.

Whooooo!! We got it!!! In the last minute I upped my max bid to $300 and my competitor bid rwice more but did not go over. Not being weilling to take any chances, in the last 10 seconds I hit my bid & confirm for $500. Final was 256.90!! Here it is so all of you can see it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Carved-Wood-Doll-Signed-Margaret-Panek-Panck-1966_W0QQitemZ140351508306QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2446QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D63
Scroll down to see the doll photos.
Edited to add: Here are some dolls she made later.
med_MaPanekcollection1.jpg

Bottom left are some of her carvings that she used to make molds.

Back