Gluten free for all??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
When serving guests who are gluten free (or vegan, etc.) do you make special foods for them and serve guests without issues regular food or does everyone get the gluten free option?

We had GF and vegan this past weekend. GF and vegan got GF pancakes (Bob's Red Mill GF mix made with banana instead of egg) and garden burger 'sausage'. Everyone else had reg pancakes & pork sausage.
Next day the GF got GF toast with their eggs and the vegan had granola and toast.
So, essentially everyone got pancakes made a little differently. We couldn't make the egg dish without eggs, tho, so the vegan had to go to his original plan of eating fruit and granola. We surprised him with the pancakes and veggie burger and he ate all of it.

CG I really loved the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to the "free for all" fad of gluten free that many innkeepers are dealing with.
Definition for free for all:[/h3]

[tr]
Web definitions:[/td]

[tr]
brawl: a noisy fight in a crowd.[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
But reading further saw you meant "served to all" and I did that once and won't do it again, unless it is really just a nice breakfast without gluten, like potatoes, eggs, fruit, etc. If it is a gluten free product, then I won't do it. Gluten free pancakes, etc.

I serve "regular" guests the regular meal and then substitue gluten-free or vegan alternatives for those on the special diets.
Similar to Maddy, I recently had two vegans during a full house. The omnivores got regular pancakes, the vegans got vegan pancakes. All pancakes had the same topping. When I have gluten-free on a sweet day, they get gf waffles and get the same topping as whatever the regular sweets are getting. For savoury, I scrambled tofu with the same veggies I used in the omelets. The rest of the breakfast components were the same (toast, new pototo home friest, garnish).
BTW, I added protein to the vegan pancakes by folding cooked quinoa into the batter. Nice texture. Hubby and I liked them for ourselves.

I serve the GF their own meal, others get our usual. Don't have an example to share as it has been a while since I had one. Opps, wheres that wood to knock on! hehehe

We have one gluten-free, returning guest for the entire week, with everyone else self-proclaimed "foodies" so there is no way I can serve most of them the gluten-free food. Yesterday the GF got my "Eggs Benedict Arnold" sans the English muffin, served on a bed or sauteed spinach, and the wheat-free cornbread that I recently posted in the recipe section. Today, with new folks in the rest of the house I served a savory entree again rather than switch to a sweet, as I normally would. The entree was a SW baked egg and cheese dish with chili peppers and Monterey Jack cheese. Most guests got the regular entree but the GF got a modified version with cornstarch substituted for the flour, served in an individual ramekin. Everyone got the corn and bean salad and garnish of guacamole, sour cream and salsa with a tortilla chip stuck in the top of the egg dish.
I made regular corn bread (with wheat flour as well as corn meal) for the foodies and tried a Bob R ed Mi ll gluten-free corn bread mix for the GF. The GF guest likes my wheat-free corn bread better than the mix so that is what she will get as a side for a few days while she is here.
Tomorrow? Pancakes and gluten-free pancakes. It's a long week whenever she comes back....juggling food and planning so there are no repeats. But otherwise she is a great guest so we just do the best we can.

I serve "regular" guests the regular meal and then substitue gluten-free or vegan alternatives for those on the special diets.
Similar to Maddy, I recently had two vegans during a full house. The omnivores got regular pancakes, the vegans got vegan pancakes. All pancakes had the same topping. When I have gluten-free on a sweet day, they get gf waffles and get the same topping as whatever the regular sweets are getting. For savoury, I scrambled tofu with the same veggies I used in the omelets. The rest of the breakfast components were the same (toast, new pototo home friest, garnish).
BTW, I added protein to the vegan pancakes by folding cooked quinoa into the batter. Nice texture. Hubby and I liked them for ourselves..
happyjacks said:
BTW, I added protein to the vegan pancakes by folding cooked quinoa into the batter. Nice texture. Hubby and I liked them for ourselves.
That's great!!! My daughter is dealing with gluten issues. It's a crazy minefield to navigate! I've always put oats in my pancakes for body, but she can't have the oats now- cooked quinoa sounds like the perfect answer. Thanks!!

We have one gluten-free, returning guest for the entire week, with everyone else self-proclaimed "foodies" so there is no way I can serve most of them the gluten-free food. Yesterday the GF got my "Eggs Benedict Arnold" sans the English muffin, served on a bed or sauteed spinach, and the wheat-free cornbread that I recently posted in the recipe section. Today, with new folks in the rest of the house I served a savory entree again rather than switch to a sweet, as I normally would. The entree was a SW baked egg and cheese dish with chili peppers and Monterey Jack cheese. Most guests got the regular entree but the GF got a modified version with cornstarch substituted for the flour, served in an individual ramekin. Everyone got the corn and bean salad and garnish of guacamole, sour cream and salsa with a tortilla chip stuck in the top of the egg dish.
I made regular corn bread (with wheat flour as well as corn meal) for the foodies and tried a Bob R ed Mi ll gluten-free corn bread mix for the GF. The GF guest likes my wheat-free corn bread better than the mix so that is what she will get as a side for a few days while she is here.
Tomorrow? Pancakes and gluten-free pancakes. It's a long week whenever she comes back....juggling food and planning so there are no repeats. But otherwise she is a great guest so we just do the best we can..
Silverspoon said:
Tomorrow? Pancakes and gluten-free pancakes. It's a long week whenever she comes back....juggling food and planning so there are no repeats. But otherwise she is a great guest so we just do the best we can.
I know Bob's Red Mill has been mentioned on here quite a bit, but there is another one that I think is even better- Namaste out of Idaho. WAY more bang for your buck. And I like the textures and finished products way better.

I saw the gluten free info on a book out right now dealing with joints, skin issues (derma) and more. Besides the old stand bys, so this will not be going away any time soon.

I serve the GF their own meal. It relieves then of worry to see that you are taking care of their issues and not preventing others from enjoying their meal.

Tomorrow? Pancakes and gluten-free pancakes. It's a long week whenever she comes back....juggling food and planning so there are no repeats. But otherwise she is a great guest so we just do the best we can..
Silverspoon said:
I know Bob's Red Mill has been mentioned on here quite a bit, but there is another one that I think is even better- Namaste out of Idaho. WAY more bang for your buck. And I like the textures and finished products way better.
I have not seen Namaste here but I'll make note to look for it. Thanks!

Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Namaste Foods

Back