gmail help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
I'm hoping one of you gmail users out there can help me. I would like to use gmail as my main email service, for a few reasons, but I think I have been too well schooled in outlook. I would like to be able to gather emails under the topic confirmation receipts but I am finding that gmail lumps responses from different addresses into the same conversation thread. Is this due to the subject or due to the label? I am having a hard time getting away from having folders, although I can see the value of the labelling the way that gmail does it.

It has to do with the subject. The same subject sent by the same sender will show it as one conversation :)

It has to do with the subject. The same subject sent by the same sender will show it as one conversation :).
In my case, the same subject but different senders are ending up linked in a single conversation. I would expect the same subject and same sender to be a single conversation. It seems like gmail only looks at subject and not the sender. Does anyone know if that is the case?
ETA: This is not one email being sent to many reciepients - it is a an individual email, same subject line, sent to different recipients at different times.

I don't use gmail, and this is probably not an option you want, but just making sure. You could use Outlook (or Thunderbird) to check you gmail account and then could use their rules for organizing email. You'd still have access to it through gmail while on the road.

I don't use gmail, and this is probably not an option you want, but just making sure. You could use Outlook (or Thunderbird) to check you gmail account and then could use their rules for organizing email. You'd still have access to it through gmail while on the road..
I might do that. I have found out that gmail doesn't give you any option to un-thread a message from a conversation once it (gmail) has decided where it should go.
I am fooling around with this for two reasons: one, my new Sprint phone doesn't seem to want to play with my frontier account, although it plays fine with gmail; two, I have outlook '03 and it is getting crankier and crankier to deal with. So, I may do just what you said but finally switch over to Thunderbird. DH uses that and is happy with it but he doesn't organize the email confirms/receipts which I already have set up in Outlook.

I don't use gmail, and this is probably not an option you want, but just making sure. You could use Outlook (or Thunderbird) to check you gmail account and then could use their rules for organizing email. You'd still have access to it through gmail while on the road..
I might do that. I have found out that gmail doesn't give you any option to un-thread a message from a conversation once it (gmail) has decided where it should go.
I am fooling around with this for two reasons: one, my new Sprint phone doesn't seem to want to play with my frontier account, although it plays fine with gmail; two, I have outlook '03 and it is getting crankier and crankier to deal with. So, I may do just what you said but finally switch over to Thunderbird. DH uses that and is happy with it but he doesn't organize the email confirms/receipts which I already have set up in Outlook.
Well I can tell you with certainty that Thunderbird can filter and move all email with the same subject to a folder of your choice. I have several filters set up that way.

I use GMail for a couple accounts & dump them into Thunderbird. I also have my inn domain mail going into Thunderbird. Thunderbird will also "thread" mail. For instance, subject "Web site inquiry". I have to reply and change up the subject - such as adding the sender's name & date to "unthread" it from that general bucket. I'll also copy myself on the reply. I have folders set up within all my Thunderbird identities.
I've yet to figure out why one of my Thunderbird identities is not using the proper email account for replies. I've tried to fix it and got frustrated and left it alone for awhile. It has to do with the mail server that it's picking. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
This went to the back burner for now....

Back