Go Away Fay!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
Another thread was getting way off track and I didn't mean to change it's course when I mentioned how bad my day was, so I thought it prudent to just give it its own place.
We're in the outer path of Tropical Storm Fay, soon to be Hurricane Fay. I did my prep and am now nestled in my hole.
If anyone is curious to see what a hurricane or tropical storm looks like from onboard a boat in a marina, my captain has a boat very similar to mine, and he runs a web cam 24/7. He's here in Miami too, on the dirty side of the storm, but I got a better hurricane hole for this one than he did.
regular_smile.gif
http://www.sandbarhopper.com/ - Click on "Helm Cam" from that page. It runs as long as there is cell phone service.
I learned yesterday, that I have guests coming Thursday evening. Oh joy....the bad weather is expected through Wednesday. I hope I can get the boat back together and back in her slip in time. At least they know we are subject to cancel under these circumstances.

Good luck, I hope it all turns out OK for you! I have a bunch friends down near Little Torch, further south than you are, and so far so good for them but it's early yet. Your buddies boat cam is very cool to look at, but those skies do seem a bit threatening.

Keep your head down! I tried looking at the helm cam but it was a static shot. Still looked nasty...

They are now saying it's almost over. What?? I knew if I went to all the trouble to move the boat and make a mess of everything - bringing everything in, creating a huge mess of clutter - that it would be a big nothing. That's weather forecasting I can accept, though. It sure beats the opposite effect. If I had stayed in my slip, my luck would have it that I would have been beating the pilings to death and slinging the contents of the boat from one side to the other.
These things are just too dangerous and unpredictable to take for granted. I'd rather prep like crazy and get little to nothing than blow it off and lose it all. My hurricane hole, by the way is the spot where boats survived Hurricane Andrew, with no damage.
The web came gets a workout when there is a storm or when Pascal is doing the Nantucket to Miami trip, and sometimes folks get a "404 error" which just means it's busy. On the weekends, you can take a trip out into the Florida bay via the web cam. :) And sometimes, Pascal's girlfriend who often sunbathes topless on that sun pad forgets the webcam is there. LOL So beware... LOL

It appears to be over, now. And boy, am I tired! I went to bed last night thinking I'd just sleep through this one since we weren't in the eye and I had a good hole to sit in. We have a few qualls of heavy, heavy rain with gusty winds, but for the most part Sanctuary just gently floated from side to side and her lines would catch her before she got close enough to the pier to touch it. So, I went to bed, exhausted, but feeling pretty good about the whole thing.
As I was snuggled up in bed with my kitty, half asleep and looking forward to a good nights sleep, I was quickly alerted by the sound of "crunch". OK, that wasn't a sounded I expected to hear. I jumped up, went up to the pilothouse and took a look out each door to look at what's on each side and to check out the lines. Nothing unusual. I went to the aft deck to look at the stern lines, and the port side stern line...something odd about it, but in my bleery-eyed state, I just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong.
I climbed down the ladder to the swim platform in the driving rain (figures, we were have a high-wind, heavy rain quall at that moment) and pickedup the stern line. The boat had pulled the cleat out of the dock and that end of the boat was tied to nothing. The crunch I heard was being pushed into the seawall on the other side. No damage though..she's a Hatteras - tough, strong, built like a tank. She usually wins the fights. During Hurricane Wilma, she plowed over many pilings in the marina at the yacht club as she attempted to make a run for the beach. They had to rebuild the entire marina. She suffered only dock rash on a small part of her side. That's why I bought a Hatteras.
So, there I was in my nightgown, soaking wet, tugging on a fat storm line trying to pull the boat back over into the middle of the basin, against the wind trying to tie off to the next available cleat. It took a bit of doing, but I used the wind to my advantage holding the line around a cleat until the wind died down for a second or whipped around the other direction, taking up the slack as I could until I had her back where I wented her. The surveillance video in the office should provided a little humor later today. There are 4 cameras on my boat in this particular spot. LOL
I spent the rest of the night trying to sleep, "with one eye open". I was concerned about which cleat was going to pull out next. I made sure the other lines which would keep the boat from leaving the marina were wrapped around large pilings rather than just cleats.
Before I went to bed, I had heard that a sailboat had washed up on the beach in front of the on-premises restaurant. I haven't been out yet this morning to see what else happened. The worst of it did occur overnight.
All is well, and I need a nap! Thanks for the prayers, thoughts and well wishes. :)

You just can't fix stupid. Here's the video of the live newscast I was watching yesterday as this event actually happened. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw that. A human missle.
http://cbs4.com/local/Kite.Surfer.las.2.798049.html
I could never understand why people want to taunt Mother Nature. You just can't win.

You just can't fix stupid. Here's the video of the live newscast I was watching yesterday as this event actually happened. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw that. A human missle.
I could never understand why people want to taunt Mother Nature. You just can't win..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I could never understand why people want to taunt Mother Nature. You just can't win.
what a moron

I could never understand why people want to taunt Mother Nature. You just can't win..
oh my...there is always someone who wants to fly in the face of danger (pun intended!). Even though it was a stupid thing to do, I hope the guy's going to be OK.

oh my...there is always someone who wants to fly in the face of danger (pun intended!). Even though it was a stupid thing to do, I hope the guy's going to be OK.
Otherwise he's be eligible for a Darwin award.

I'm glad everything worked out well for you. That video is a runner up for a Darwin Award, no doubt.

I'm glad everything worked out well for you. That video is a runner up for a Darwin Award, no doubt..
hmmm ... my friend is supposed to fly from maine to florida tomorrow and it looks like his flight may be rescheduled because of high winds and rain and they are showing the storm swinging back around and slamming the area or taking another path. i don't know all that much about hurricanes, so will be watching.

Seashanty, where in Florida is your friend flying? It's already nice and sunny here (well, it dark NOW, but we had a nice sunset).

Is there still a drought in the south? The five day tracking shows Fay going up above FL... will that help alleviate the drought?
I remember back in Maryland we had a drought and we had two hurricanes come through and turn it around (tropical storms by the time they got to us, and much wanted rain).
=)
Kk.

Is there still a drought in the south? The five day tracking shows Fay going up above FL... will that help alleviate the drought?
I remember back in Maryland we had a drought and we had two hurricanes come through and turn it around (tropical storms by the time they got to us, and much wanted rain).
=)
Kk..
[tr]Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida Flights Rescheduled Due To Weather[/td] [/tr] [tr] [/td][/tr] [tr] Due to severe weather in our Southern Florida service areas, it is necessary to reschedule our flights to and from Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida for Tuesday, August 19, 2008. Please see the revised departure schedule below. Please be advised you are still required to be checked-in at the airport and have received your boarding pass for your delayed flight, no later than 45 minutes prior to your revised departure day and time. Additionally, our flights to and from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and Sanford, Florida may experience delays due to significant rain.
[/td][/tr][/table]to sanford/orlando

Back