Go to Garnish?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presentation is what makes breakfast fun for me. Our "Go to" garnishes for savory dishes are usually herbs, as we grow lots of them. Basil (regular sweet basil and lemon basil are our favorites), parsley (curly and flat), chives, rosemary, thyme are favorites.Edible flowers...remember to include daylilies. We have now built a cold frame in an attempt to have our own herbs available longer.
We grow and use several kinds of different mint. Apple, orange, peppermint, spearment. And bushels of lemon balm spring up everywhere if we aren't careful. Mountain mint.
With egg dishes, I find a tiny bit of diced red bell pepper works well for color contrast. As does a rosemary sprig. And a papricka sprinkle adds to savory dishes what a dash of confectioner's sugar does for sweet entrees.
We also use contrasting fruit garnishes even with fruit dishes...3 tiny balls of canteloupe with a sprig of mint, for example.
We also use designer dessert sauces by Lyons (strawberry, chocolate, white chocolate, and kiwi are our faves) to add squiggles here and there. Great for making hearts at Valentines, or anytime. A dollop of strawberry, with a tiny dot of white choc in middle, pulled thru with a sharp toothpick for quick hearts...they look good in little curved row of three.
Fruit example link: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150332854665476&set=pt.262454050475&type=1&theater With this dish, I give the guest a tiny garnish knife and let them know I have already split the melon under the apple mint on the right.
For desserts and for sweet entrees, the designer sauces add a great little flourish: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.312705835475.189194.262454050475&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=10150091663570476&set=a.312705835475.189194.262454050475&type=3&theater.
Mountain Inn said:
herbs, as we grow lots of them. Basil (regular sweet basil and lemon basil are our favorites),
I love purple basil as garnish...very unique.

Back