Goal Setting Group - Q1 2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
Okay, we're already two weeks into the new year. Just another 25 two-week blocks of time left to accomplish all we want to in 2009. I've found that I'm more successful achieving my goals when I A) define them specifically; B) set them no too far out; and C) tell other people what they are.
Is anyone interested in sharing their goals for the next few months and making ourselves accountable to each other? If so, this is what I propose:
  1. No more than three goals. Once you meet a goal, feel free to add another!
  2. Goals have to be measurable, to have tangible objectives and a deadline of March 31st or sooner.
  3. Every month, or more frequently if you have progress to report, everyone participating will post on how they're doing with their goals.
  4. Goals can be about business, personal, family or whatever is important to you.
Anyone interested? Post your goals!
My goals are:
  1. Try three new (to me) marketing methods/venues.
  2. Blog a minimum of 3 times per month.
  3. Work out a minimum of 2 times per week cardio and 2 times per week weight training.
Deadline for all is March 31st. If I meet goal #1 before then, I'll add a new goal.

I'm in. I need a chance to think of 3 things I want to accomplish (of the many).

I am in too.
I need to get decent pictures taken on on my web site.
Blog at least once a week.

I'm in too.
1. Quit stalling and get DH to redo our website
2. Revamp our Wedding literature and website
3. Start a blog
(Can't promise how often I will blog just yet. These are tough goals for me during Mardi Gras season...!)

seashanty said:
* Take the plunge and get my widow website into the real world ... promotion, ads, the whole deal
I know this is going to sound wrong, but what is a widow website?
confused_smile.gif

I'm in, too.
  • Figure out where I can make more cuts in our budget to put more money away for our b&b puchase
  • Speak words that mean something, not just what people want to hear
  • Take the time to find the joy in mundane daily tasks.
The first one sounds like it might be the hardest, but I think it's the last one that will be difficult.

Ok, I guess I've thought long enough...goals to be accomplished by March 31:
  1. Write one chapter/week in my novel. (Right, THAT novel.)
  2. Spend one hour/day (Mon-Thurs) reviewing publicity materials.
  3. Lose 5 lbs. (Hey, it's harder when you're older!)

Having just gotten hammered by a volunteer group of people when I asked each of them for one goal for 2009, I'm begging off of this one. I just can't take sifting through any more goals, resolutions, or anything like that. Yeah, it's been a crappy week.....

seashanty said:
* Take the plunge and get my widow website into the real world ... promotion, ads, the whole deal
I know this is going to sound wrong, but what is a widow website?
confused_smile.gif
hard to describe ... i'll post a link sometime if it is okay with swirt.
seashanty said:
hard to describe ... i'll post a link sometime if it is okay with swirt.
I'd like to see the website too, if you don't mind sharing.

Having just gotten hammered by a volunteer group of people when I asked each of them for one goal for 2009, I'm begging off of this one. I just can't take sifting through any more goals, resolutions, or anything like that. Yeah, it's been a crappy week......
Oh, golly. You sound miserable. Hope the morning finds things brighter!
teeth_smile.gif

Having just gotten hammered by a volunteer group of people when I asked each of them for one goal for 2009, I'm begging off of this one. I just can't take sifting through any more goals, resolutions, or anything like that. Yeah, it's been a crappy week......
Oh, golly. You sound miserable. Hope the morning finds things brighter!
teeth_smile.gif

Not miserable, just discouraged by some folks working on this volunteer stuff which takes up an incredible amount of my time, which they do not seem to realize. You know, I just sit around here & bake muffins and make a few beds now & then. HA! This isn't a "real" business I guess to some people. This too shall pass....
Had a guest here for 5 days that was here for a very difficult job & left this morning after giving me a big hug & thanking me for making it actually nice. The guest remarked that they were happy to come "home" every day :) Have another long-term guest that we don't even see since there are really no B&B services included in the rate (only once/week housekeeping) but they are very happy. So the biz side is fine and we are pretty busy in about a week.
I guess one of my personal goals is not to take some of this volunteer stuff so seriously. I'm just not in a mood this year to get into lists and all of that.

Okay, so 1/12 of the year is already gone and we are 1/3 of the way through our first quarter goal deadline.
How's everyone doing? Care to share a progress report?
Here are my goals (slightly modified from original) and my progress:
Progress: I did some guerrilla marketing on a non-B&B forum that has a large segment of members within my main market, with a message very targeted to them. Also identified another opportunity I plan to act on, but have to execute it still.
Progress: blogged 3 times in Jan; have topics lined up for Feb (gotta write and post though).
3. Fit into "those jeans" (workout cardio & weights regularly).
Progess: slow. But I've stationed my jeans in the kitchen, guarding the container that holds the chocolate. Workouts are happening but sporadic, based more on my free time (haha) than on a planned regimen. Keeping a log of activity/food.
How about YOU???

Okay, so 1/12 of the year is already gone and we are 1/3 of the way through our first quarter goal deadline.
Progress: I did some guerrilla marketing on a non-B&B forum that has a large segment of members within my main market, with a message very targeted to them. Also identified another opportunity I plan to act on, but have to execute it still.
Progress: blogged 3 times in Jan; have topics lined up for Feb (gotta write and post though).
Progess: slow. But I've stationed my jeans in the kitchen, guarding the container that holds the chocolate. Workouts are happening but sporadic, based more on my free time (haha) than on a planned regimen. Keeping a log of activity/food.
How about YOU???.
Have not met a single goal.

How about YOU???.
Since I didn't set any, I have a 100% success rate. haha!
teeth_smile.gif

How about YOU???.
Yikes - I really didn't know you were going to keep up with this....LOL
No, really here I stand....
B&B Website revision - I am about 3/4's the way through putting the info together. DH still needs to review. (He usually has a few tweeks he wants to make, then we 'discuss', I get my way and we are off....) Then it will be his baby to make it work...HTML, tag lines, etc....I do not keep up with that stuff.
Events & Wedding Website revision - have a list in works of what changes need to be made... not my main priority as this is a sideline business. But, since I wanted something to force me to get this done, it is on this list...
Blog - I am still trying to find the match to light the fire under my
potty-mouth.gif

I'm counting on those two more months to get me through...
In other words, not much progress... but I haven't forgotten about them, either.
=)
Kk.

It's a little late but we have finally gotten around to getting our 2009 business map ready. (It's the old spoke and wheel diagram with who all our partners are and what we going to do with them.
By 3-31, I think all the garage sale stuff in the workshop will be gone and we can finish cleaning it out.
We got permission to use a song on the audio CD we made for our guests to use, so now we have to do the final revision on the script. 3-31 is possible.
We should have the latest revision suggestions for our website done by then, but I don't know if we will make much further than that. Still moving towards a larger goal with SEO stuff.

I'm in.
* Clear out the storage unit on Nantucket where my late husband's things have been stored since he died. It's a drain on finances that has turned to dread to face. But it's past time.
* Make this the best year of my life - or at least make the best cookies of my life

Back