Going back to square one...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee2014

Reaction score
So I'm doing things backwards. I'm going to an aspiring innkeepers seminar with The B&B Team! Yeah I know. Five years too late. I'm sure the instructor will be pulling out his hair over all my mistakes, etc. So you can think and pray for him as he tries to retrain me the correct way and fill in the gaps in my learning.
That said, I want to thank you all for what you did for two "don't know what they are doing but here we go" new innkeepers who were willing to do it but hadn't a clue what they were doing or getting themselves into. The ride has been great and I can't wait for the seminar! Without you all on this website, I don't know what we would have done. Our success is your crowning glory! Also thanks Swirt for this wonderful website!

Imagine being a high school Spanish teacher, and having an exchange student from Spain walk into your class as a student. That's how your instructor will feel.
Imagine being an electrician who is called on to teach a first aid class at the local junior college, and having an RN walk into the class as a student.
My advice is that you not mention your years of experience, and don't offer any thoughts other than, wow, thanks. I never would have thought that a guest would do something like that!

If the team is doing the training, vs the innkeeper where the class is held, you will have way more relevant hands on experience. They'll know more about the 'back office.' They'll have info on buying a property and maybe some new info on trends in OTA land.
But how to juggle check in with phone calls with plumbing issues? Nope, you've got that nailed!

Reminds me of the story where in University they wanted me to take an English course. I looked at the registrar and asked if that was a punishment for me, or for the teacher? I was exempted.

If the team is doing the training, vs the innkeeper where the class is held, you will have way more relevant hands on experience. They'll know more about the 'back office.' They'll have info on buying a property and maybe some new info on trends in OTA land.
But how to juggle check in with phone calls with plumbing issues? Nope, you've got that nailed!.
Its the team doing it and I'm going to learn the "back office" stuff. They said that is what they teach in this one and not to take the other one which has hands-on stuff like doing breakfast, etc. So I'm taking off work at the inn so I can learn about inn work...
wink_smile.gif

Imagine being a high school Spanish teacher, and having an exchange student from Spain walk into your class as a student. That's how your instructor will feel.
Imagine being an electrician who is called on to teach a first aid class at the local junior college, and having an RN walk into the class as a student.
My advice is that you not mention your years of experience, and don't offer any thoughts other than, wow, thanks. I never would have thought that a guest would do something like that!.
Arks said:
My advice is that you not mention your years of experience, and don't offer any thoughts other than, wow, thanks. I never would have thought that a guest would do something like that!
They already know since I questioned them before signing up. I didn't want to take off work to pay someone money to do what I got paid to do! I plan on learning at least four new things.

But how to juggle check in with phone calls with plumbing issues? Nope, you've got that nailed!.
Its the team doing it and I'm going to learn the "back office" stuff. They said that is what they teach in this one and not to take the other one which has hands-on stuff like doing breakfast, etc. So I'm taking off work at the inn so I can learn about inn work...
wink_smile.gif

LOL. The 'back office' stuff is the part I struggle with too. Hats off to you!

Peter with B&B Team is our broker on our Inn purchase. We missed their last two seminars back in August and September. Not sure we can afford to travel right now since we are just making our purchase, paying massive amounts of money for down payment, inspections, etc. But I’d love to hear what you learn “After-the-fact” so if we decide to do it down the road after running the inn for a year or so. Good luck!

My head is whirling with all new ideas, thoughts, and solutions, etc. The B&B Team seminar is a must do for any innkeeper.

Back