Going Bananas!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips to keep bananas from getting ripe too quickly? We use lots of bananas and they all seem to ripen at exactly the same time regardsless of what color they were when I bought them. Can the process be slowed down?

yes.
separate the bananas and you will triple the shelf life of them.

supposedly you can individually wrap bananas each in its own bag and tie shut and store in the veggie bin of the fridge for a while ... but they have to be without other fruit. i don't know if this really works.

Keep each stage of ripeness seperate, also store in a cool place. Bananas can be stored in the fridge to prolong the life, but I have better luck IF they had just been removed from the fridge at the store, not getting to room temp.

We only buy 2 or 3 at a time for this reason. Separating them does help a little though, as do the Debbie Meyers bags.

Keeping them refrigerated helps. If they ripen too quickly you know that you can peel and freeze them for breads, smoothies or any recipe pertaining them to be in a cooked recipe.
The thing is PEEL THEM before freezing...I was in a hurry and placed non peeled bananas in freezer:) THEY ARE A PITA to peel when frozen.

Keeping them refrigerated helps. If they ripen too quickly you know that you can peel and freeze them for breads, smoothies or any recipe pertaining them to be in a cooked recipe.
The thing is PEEL THEM before freezing...I was in a hurry and placed non peeled bananas in freezer:) THEY ARE A PITA to peel when frozen..
I don't peel them when frozen - I just let them defrost, cut of the end, and squeeze the liquid mush out. Basically, all ready pureed.
Don't get me wrong - I'd rather peel & freeze. But if I'm in a hurry, I toss 'em in peels and all and don't worry about it.

Once they're ripe, store them in the fridge. The skins will quickly blacken but the insides will stay good for some time.

separate the bananas and you will triple the shelf life of them.

Back