Going Green

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I guess I'm dating myself...I remember doing all of these things
omg_smile.gif

Being Green

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment f or future generations."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truely recycled.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day
Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

We planted gardens, pulled weeds, got paid a penny per 100 potato bugs collected, we canned and froze fruits and veggies, milked cows by hand, gathered eggs, ate the hens too old to produce (or too mean to let live), churned our butter, worked the hay fields - Granny & the younger sibs were gleaners, and the corn fields were cultivated (weeded) by harnessing the horse to go between the rows with Daddy walking behind the cultivator - and Pappy planted those corn fieds with the old corn planter (you might see one in a farm museum today). Our record player was a wind-up Victrola. WE got to ride a school bus because we were 5 miles from school but my classmates who lived 1.9 miles from school walked regardless of the weather. I faced my first dial phone when I was a freshman in high school and had no clue how to use it!!!

If you refer to the car to a dealer friend net, there will be more preferential.Contact the dealer: Heilongjiang dragon auto sale Limited company address: Heilongjiang province Harbin city urban and rural road 445 phone: 0451-84373131 note: price quotations collected from local markets, only local dealers behavior.
Although the two dealers quotation is lower, but the 4S store to purchase a car more secure.Antelope is the vehicle type country in the latest price list: models of displacement /L transmission pricing / million businesses offer / million offer details of 2012 1.
3L manual basic type IV 1.3 manual 41800 3.88~4.38 million in 2012 section of 1.3L manual standard IV 1.3 manual 46800 4.28~4.78 million in 2012 section of 1.3L manual standard III 1.3 manual 46800 4.40~5.
[love card auto market recently, Volkswagen from was informed that, at Imitation rolex watches present the shop 2012 antelope is no car, a deposit of 10000 yuan, carrying vehicle must wait 30 days, interested friends may wish to look at.
Details please refer to the following table 2012 antelope Zhongshan offer the latest November 16, 2012 models of dealer price concessions content inventory 41800 yuan 41800 yuan no concessions to 46800 yuan 46800 yuan no car no concessions to 52800 yuan 52800 yuan no concessions to Zhongshan price, pay shoes with red bottom close attention to please note: the above information from your cheap rolex for cheap editor to owner identity to 4S stores acquisition, for you provide the most valid Uggs purchase a car to help.
If you want to know more, please advice, or.The main advantages of [yuhuie] 1, antelope's car trunk and the fuel tank is convenient to open.2, [a fast-food] found in the idle state, you almost feel the vibration of the engine in 3, [yuhuie] in general, the car was good, compared with 69800 of the price, or a good choice.
To be improved 1, [ssbk] air conditioning has been satisfied, is said to be the high speed air conditioning, in the city of low speed refrigeration effect is bad, want to change... 2, [with] yesterday while driving a car door also fake cartier watches under $100 automatically lock, lock out today how?You can happy.
The new car, key... 3, [yuhuie] air conditioning control Ugg boots for sale mode or old fashioned lever type, should be improved.The average fuel consumption: 0.00L/100km antelope automobile parameters basic information: a combined fuel consumption (L/100km) 5.

Wow! The spammers are hitting it hard today, even in the face of Swirt's obstacles! 'Tis the season to sell.
Merry Christmas to all. Live long, and prosper!

I'm enjoying reading this! I am sitting in the car waiting on DW to finish up some shopping. Kids are sleeping in the car and I'm watching all the big plastic bags people are walking out with. Sometimes a person needs to step back and look at how wasteful we have all become!

I'm enjoying reading this! I am sitting in the car waiting on DW to finish up some shopping. Kids are sleeping in the car and I'm watching all the big plastic bags people are walking out with. Sometimes a person needs to step back and look at how wasteful we have all become!.
I did the last of my shopping except for Christmas diinner this afternoon. A local company is matching pound for pound of Pur in a pet foods so I bought 117.5 pounds (just totaled it) a 16.5 lb bag of cat food and the rest in dog food in the name of my daughter that gives so much and I called and told her what her present was. Normally we do not buy for our kids but that one was right up her alley. I ended up getting a $50 gift card at a local grocery for our "adopted" son as I have no idea what to get for him. I am going to encourage him to get things he usually would not treat himself to - like steak!

what makes me laugh is my mum refuses to buy organic as "she never had it in her day" pointed out they only had organic in her day (she is 75 this year) as they hadn't invented the pesticieds and so on yet! lol!

When we went for our 'green certification', we didn't actually have to change anything, we were already doing 'green practices' because that's the way we live. It makes financial sense to recycle, use energy efficient appliances, use cheaper natural cleaning products, etc! Years ago they would have called us tightwads, but now we're 'green'!
lightbulb.gif

I swear, I think we're the only ones left that still turns a bottle of product upside down to get every last drop out of it! LOL

When we went for our 'green certification', we didn't actually have to change anything, we were already doing 'green practices' because that's the way we live. It makes financial sense to recycle, use energy efficient appliances, use cheaper natural cleaning products, etc! Years ago they would have called us tightwads, but now we're 'green'!
lightbulb.gif

I swear, I think we're the only ones left that still turns a bottle of product upside down to get every last drop out of it! LOL.
Breakfast Diva said:
I swear, I think we're the only ones left that still turns a bottle of product upside down to get every last drop out of it! LOL
Nope, count me in on that! My parents grew up during the Depression (class of '39) and passed along many "green" habits!

lightbulb.gif

I swear, I think we're the only ones left that still turns a bottle of product upside down to get every last drop out of it! LOL.
Breakfast Diva said:
Nope, count me in on that! My parents grew up during the Depression (class of '39) and passed along many "green" habits!
Ditto

Back